BC Boards

BC with Husky markings?

This isn't my pup but rather my little guy's brother. I don't have many good pictures but this puppy is very oddly and fascinatingly marked and I was wondering if ya'll have ever seen these kind of markings. He isn't really black looking, more like a blue or something. I was looking on this site:http://www.bordercolliemuseum.org/BCLooks/BC_Looks.html but couldn't find any explanation for these kind of markings. What do you think?

Also here is a video. Its poor quality but you can see this pup's markings better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKjuOYBGwfM&feature=youtu.be

post-15955-0-72216300-1391716306_thumb.jpg

Seal in color, perhaps, but the "paint job" he's wearing is like nothing I've ever seen in border collies, particularly the mask on his face and the pale underside. Looks very Husky or German shepherd-cross. I'd sure like to know more about the sire and if the breeder was sure no other dog could have gotten to the bitch. ;) Cute pup, but the way his color pattern is distributed and shaped ... it's interesting!

~ Gloria

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but this website says that the agouti coloring does not occur in border collies.

http://www.bordercollies.nl/egenkl.shtml

I assume by this they mean the banded hairs as they appear in huskies and similar breeds, as well as wolves. I do know that the agouti gene does influence color expression in some border collie colors, such as sable.

Yeah this was the first pup I wanted but unsurprisingly he was already being held for someone. I hope to keep in contact with the breeder and maybe the owner of my pups brother. I'd love to see how he turns out. If he were mine I'd do that genetic testing on him but I really don't know what his owner plans to do. He is the biggest of the litter but not much bigger than mine.

I think if some were mixes I don't think their breeder knows.I suppose I could still test my guy to make sure he's a full border collie but either way he seemed to have a good temperament and everything I'm looking for so I'm not really too worried about that. But I'm super curious about his brother.

It is a bit odd for sure! I guess only time will tell. There really isn't any way to explain it other than a husky, or a husky mix. I've seen shelter dogs around here that are colored like that, although not husky. So it's possible that it could really just be anything.

I think if some were mixes I don't think their breeder knows.I suppose I could still test my guy to make sure he's a full border collie but either way he seemed to have a good temperament and everything I'm looking for so I'm not really too worried about that. But I'm super curious about his brother.

Ahh, I see. If some of the pups were mixes, then it's anybody's guess. If the breeder doesn't know who (or how many) fathered these pups, I hope they don't plan to let that happen again. It does not sound like a good breeding situation.

Your boy obviously came to a good and loving home, though, and I wish the two of you a long and joyful life together.

~ Gloria