BC Boards

Decoding Your Dog

JohnLloydJones

I note that the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists has published a book: "Decoding Your Dog: The Ultimate Experts Explain Common Dog Behaviors and Reveal How to Prevent or Change Unwanted Ones". Amazon's Look inside feature revealed some pretty sensible advice, so I have plunked down my plastic and ordered a copy. It is due for release on 7th Jan.

Firstly, who is the target audience for this book?

It's language suggests the editors were targeting the lay public. The cover gushes "The Ultimate Experts Explain..." and the inside cover states: "In fact there are scientifically proven answers to...". The Introduction starts with "Veterinary behaviorists are like superheroes.". Good content shouldn't need such puffery. The good news is that the content really doesn't need it.

The book is a collection of articles (chapters), each of which are written by different author(s) and can, pretty much, stand on their own. They follow a consistent pattern. There is a story (case history) which illustrates the topic in hand. This is followed by a "Facts not Fiction", where the author state basic knowledge and dispels common myths. Not all of what is presented are hard facts; there are some "facts" that are closer to opinions. When the author of "Tools of the Trade" states that "Research shows that dogs are no more bothered by head collars than by regular buckle collars", I admit to some skepticism. I have seen plenty of dogs who hate them with a passion (by head collar, the author is referring to the Gentle Leader/Halti type of products). Maybe what I have seen is because owners have not used the head collars properly? Nit picking apart, this section contains solid advice. Chapters end with a "What Did We Say?" section that summarizes the chapters content. There is a glossary of terms at the end of the book that defines words and jargon that may be unfamiliar to the reader.

The very first chapter is "Can't We Just Talk?" and is, obviously, about communication. The following chapter, "Choosing Your New Best Friend", tries to guide hopeful new owners on the things to consider and watch out for. Without the bluntness of P. Burns (Terrierman), the authors try to steer people away from puppy mills and breed fads. They also warn, in an aside titled "Smartest Breeds", that "A highly intelligent dog can be very draining for the average family, because it is not always easy to stay one step ahead of her". The dreadfully titled "Creating a Mensa Dog", is actually about learning and the author does tackle issues like "dominance theory" and extinguishing an undesirable behaviour. I liked that the author recommends linking a new behaviour with both words and a hand signal, noting work that suggests dogs respond to hand signals better than to words.

There is a chapter titled "All Dogs Need a Job", that includes ideas for solo activities to keep your dog happy, as well as a summary of things to do together with your dog, including dog sports and "Real" Canine Jobs (such as hunting, SAR, herding). Oddly, "Conformation" is categorized as a Dog Sport. A chapter on aggression tackles issues with "alpha status" and other "dominance" based concepts. Readers are warned that using the "alpha roll" for aggression will "make it more likely that the dog will bite again". A certain television dog "expert" might want to take note of that. The chapter on noise phobia contains descriptions of common behaviours (Panting, pacing, trembling etc) during noise events (fireworks, thunderstorms and the like). In the "Signs you need to seek help..." aside, I recognize "Your dog has become an amateur meteorologist and has learned to predict the approach of a storm" very well. There is a helpful list of things you might try to do during a thunderstorm, including "put on your rain gear and go for a walk"; a seemingly contradictory suggestion, but, from personal experience, can work for some dogs. The section "Can Medication Help?" has warning against using Ace (Acepromazine), which is known to produce dysphoria and, despite the sedation, can make things worse. The final chapter is about "Growing Old with Grace" with advice on, among other things, CDS (Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome).

Obviously, I have skimmed over many things, cherry picking those that caught my eye during a first reading. Border Collies receive cameo appearances throughout the book, including a photo of one working sheep, and one (Harley) used as an example of compulsive behaviour. It is a book that I will almost certainly keep within easy reach. But is it a book to recommend to dog owners in general? No, it isn't. It offers understanding, but not quick and easy recipes. The authors have no reason to believe their book will put them out of a job. What about members of the BC boards? Yes, I think many of the board members will find it useful and it's reasonably priced (with shipping and tax, it cost me less than $24).

I'm looking forward to it's release although I'll probably interlibrary loan it before buying it. I hope it's as good as advertised. The last book I bought was Dances with Sheepdogs and the full chapter on border collie telepathy made me too afraid to read any farther. :blink:

Bethany, Rose, and Loki

• 1 month later...

I got the book but haven't read it yet. The picture of the border collie working sheep is one that I took at the 2011 Finals in Carbondale. The dog is Alasdair MacRae's Star. Alasdair and Star won that year, and it was her last trial before retiring from a stellar career. Patrick asked if he could use one of my pictures, and of all the hundreds I have posted, he picked that one -- a most excellent dog indeed! His discussion of variation within breeds, referring especially to border collies, drew upon Melanie Chang's work on border collie genetics.