BC Boards

Looking for Help

Emily, I am not removing your post because to the best of my knowledge you have not said anything that is untrue, and you have stood behind it with your real name. It is information on a subject of legitimate public interest.

The article which Dr. Canapp plagiarized from Denise Wall ran in the April 2009 issue of Clean Run, and the retraction (wholly inadequate, IMO, both in its placement and in the way it minimized the egregious extent of the copying) ran in the December 2009 issue of Clean Run, on page 74.

Sue- Thank you for the response. Unfortunately the estimate does not include any follow up costs. I can completely understand that there are scams on the internet and everyone should be cautious, I do not fault anyone for that. After I set up the GiveForward page and many family and friends donated, I realized there were other pages that pay the facility directly, and unfortunately I do wish I went that route, but it is too late now since we have raised a good bit of money.

Anyhow, I was made aware of this group by another BC lover and it sounded like a good idea to network with others and maybe some have run across the same problem, and hey if it resulted in donations, it wouldn't be the worst thing. But I must say I am actually glad that I joined, you all have made me very aware of different opinions on different ideas etc., and in the future I will definitely stay on as there are always training issues and things that would be great to have a group of knowledgable ppl to discuss with.

I have up until this point tried to leave the practice that we have been consulting with out of this post completely as I know there are always good and bad opinions that come up regarding any professional, whether veterinary or other human medical practices. But, since it has come up, we heard about VOSM having a stellar reputation in the industry and decided to take our pup there when he originally broke his leg, we did use Dr. Canapp for the first surgery and now again for the second, we have had nothing but a positive experience thus far at his facility, but again I am sure there are good and bad with everyone, but I can only speak about our experience.

I've been fairly quiet about my experiences for some time, but Emily's forthright honesty has sparked me into action. While I know many who have had good experiences with Dr. S. Canapp, I had one a couple of years ago that was less than positive. My dog had intermittent lameness issues, varying from mild to severe. Even though I knew of the plagiarism incident (in fact, I was the one who discovered it, in addition to a few similar incidents), I brought him back to Dr. Canapp for X-rays (Dr. Canapp had previously operated on him for bilateral OCD). I fault myself for not sticking to my own principles when I brought him back to Dr. Canapp, especially because plagiarism is something (as a university professor) I particularly abhor.

Dr. Canapp quickly diagnosed medial shoulder instability, and in light of the abduction angle on his forelimb, I'm convinced it was the right diagnosis. But he also diagnosed elbow dysplasia, and recommended expensive surgery. I showed the X rays to four other vets, asking them specifically about this elbow. Not a one of them could see anything wrong. It could simply have been that Dr. Canapp had keener eyes than any of the four of them, but several of these vets had experience in ortho issues and one was an ortho surgeon.

Needless to say, I opted for conservative therapy rather than surgery.

Oh: and when this dog did have his surgery for bilateral OCD, the cost of the rehab was not included in the cost of the surgery. It added considerably to the total.

I wish Magnus the best. I think Sue expressed the sentiments I felt when reading the OP's solicitation.

And I'm signing my name so that mine is not an anonymous complaint...

- Lynn Roberts

Lynn - I would agree that the cost of the rehab and the follow up pretty much doubled the cost of the first surgery... something we were definitely not expecting.. I assumed this was standard at each practice and it was something we just hadnt really thought about or expected..

Thank you, Eileen and Lynn. I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I think what put me off was the original estimate of $10,000. Kkautz, no matter what your financial situation, you shouldn't feel pressured to make a certain decision regarding what you could or should do. I see that your estimate has been reduced (like Lynn said, does it include rehab?), and that sounds appropriate for such a surgery. I'm glad friends and family are able to help you. If you are comfortable asking donations from strangers, then go for it! If not, please don't feel like Magnus needs this costly surgery as a matter of life or death. He is a young, healthy dog who will lead a long and happy life with you regardless of your decision, and that's what really matters!

Again, I hope everything turns out well for you and your dog!

Anyhow, I was made aware of this group by another BC lover and it sounded like a good idea to network with others and maybe some have run across the same problem, and hey if it resulted in donations, it wouldn't be the worst thing. But I must say I am actually glad that I joined, you all have made me very aware of different opinions on different ideas etc., and in the future I will definitely stay on as there are always training issues and things that would be great to have a group of knowledgable ppl to discuss with.

I just wanted to commend you on your open mindedness.

I really wish both you and Magnus the very best of luck.

What an awesome thread! Everyone deserves a thank you for being civil and informative, even when legitimate questions about the dollar number and the veterinarian's reputation were raised.

kkautz, thank you for responding and continuing to update us as information became available to you. Unfortunately, as you can see from some of the responses, there is reason for doubt because of past unpleasant experience with on-line fundraising.

I hope that Magnus recovers and is a happy, healthy guy!

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

I just wanted to commend you on your open mindedness.

I really wish both you and Magnus the very best of luck.

Absolutely! Too often people sign on here and when others take the time to reply and are completely honest, and don't rubber-stamp the OP's choices, the OP gets angry and leaves in a huff.

The OP in this topic has been open and taken advice with a good natured reply.

Lynn - I would agree that the cost of the rehab and the follow up pretty much doubled the cost of the first surgery... something we were definitely not expecting.. I assumed this was standard at each practice and it was something we just hadnt really thought about or expected..

Thank you, Eileen and Lynn. I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I think what put me off was the original estimate of $10,000. Kkautz, no matter what your financial situation, you shouldn't feel pressured to make a certain decision regarding what you could or should do. I see that your estimate has been reduced (like Lynn said, does it include rehab?), and that sounds appropriate for such a surgery. I'm glad friends and family are able to help you. If you are comfortable asking donations from strangers, then go for it! If not, please don't feel like Magnus needs this costly surgery as a matter of life or death. He is a young, healthy dog who will lead a long and happy life with you regardless of your decision, and that's what really matters!

Again, I hope everything turns out well for you and your dog!

Emily, the estimate on the fundraising page $4700 does include rehab and follow up. The price quoted for the surgery, $2900-$3050 does not include any follow up bandage changes/xrays/rehab etc. They are going to allow us to go to our normal vet, since we are not local to VOSM, for follow up xrays and bandage changes etc. so hopefully that will help with the cost of the follow up work as well.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments, much appreciated.

When Celt had his surgery, there was an estimate for the surgery itself, which included the consultation, x-rays, all surgical costs, plus all follow-up costs in terms of any post-op visits to the ortho surgeon. No bandaging was involved at any stage of the procedure so we didn't have any expenses for that, and inspection of and removal of staples was included.

Since our ortho vet practice did not (still does not that I know of) include a rehab/therapy department, nothing to do with that was included. We were fortunate to have a very capable and caring therapist (recommended by multiple friends of mine with dogs with varying soundness/surgery issues) within a half-hour drive of us, and she is very reasonably-priced, so that kept our costs down - but it still added up and wasn't cheap.

I really hope everything works out very well for you and your totally cute pup!