BC Boards

Dangerous DIY Heartworm Treatment??

Beach BCs

We use the 0.08% sheep drench which we typically have on hand anyway. We target 2x-3x the effective minimum dose with a 1cc syringe so that measurement error will not lead to less than 1x the effective minimum dose.

We used to dilute the 1%, but it's a pain and it requires propylene glycol. The advantage with using the 1% is that it can be purchased in smaller volumes than the 0.08%.

Thanks, Julie and Mark.

With only 3 dogs now and no sheep any more, a liter would be a lot of waste, especially since I haven't had to treat for intestinal parasites for many years.

I may look into whether any friends would like to share a liter, though. That could make it more practical.

GL,

I buy a liter of Safeguard because I have 9 dogs and you treat 3-5 days in a row, so I use a good amount each time I treat. It comes in a smaller size (250 mL, labeled for goats), which would be more practical for people with fewer dogs. You can get the 0.08% ivermectin sheep drench in an 8 oz (240 mL) bottle, which is very inexpensive. In the past I have bought the liters of ivermectin because if it has a long expiration date you can use it for a long time, and really, even if you throw a bunch away, it's still way cheaper than commercial heartworm meds (and I don't know that the smaller bottle was available then). You can also buy the larger bottle and split with friends. I don't remember what I paid for the small bottle, but maybe ~$25-30? And it will expire at the end of next year before I use it up dosing 9 dogs monthly.

J.