BC Boards

Dangerous DIY Heartworm Treatment??

Beach BCs

I was at a friend's house last night and we got in the subject of our dogs (shocker). I mentioned something about using Trifexis for HW & fleas and my friend said "oh, we're still using vodka treatments for heartworm". Huh? I asked if it was the cost that was putting them off the preventatives from the vet. Mentioned that they could buy meds from the UK and Australia. Or purchase the liquid from places like Tractor Supply. "No, we would never give those poisons our dogs." I asked where they came up with the Vodka treatments. The internet, of course.

I've Googled around a bit and can find nothing. I certainly don't think this is a valid treatment. These are very intelligent people. I can't grasp why they think this is a good plan.

Thoughts? Has anyone heard of this?

The only thing I can think of that would make any sense is that herbal tinctures are often made with either grain alcohol or vodka. And I know there are some herbal tinctures -- artemsia (wormwood) and black walnut are often used -- that some claim to be effective against heartworm, both as a preventative and as a treatment for HW infection.

Did you ask for any details about how they're using the vodka? I just did a quick search and didn't find anything jumping out at me, other than the aforementioned use of vodka in making tinctures.

They said they used it every 30 days, basing the amount off of their dog's weights. They have a Cocker Spaniel and a GSD. I'm all for alternative treatments...if they work as well or better than traditional treatments. But I would bet dollars to donuts that their dogs are HW+.

Simba, I thought the same thing about the toxins. Vodka and other alcohols certainly are toxic in their own right, as is wormwood. There's a reason absinthe was illegal and is still highly regulated for thujone content.

That said, the arsenic in allopathic HW treatments is also highly toxic, thus the danger in the treatment itself.

I'm all for use of alternative treatments for many things, and if I had an HW positive dog I'd look into the alternative treatments, but only under the supervision of a veterinarian who knows what she or he is doing.

I've heard of the vodka treatment but no details, also heard of a garlic and ginger treatment. I've also heard of raw feeders claiming that feeding raw made their dogs immune to heartworms, not a risk I'm willing to take since we have mosquitoes almost all year round and a high incidence rate of dogs testing positive for heartworms. I would much rather give my dogs a small dose of "those poisons" every 30-45 days than the arsnic they would get from treatment, not to mention the other problems a heartworm positive dog has.

Yeah, but are they giving straight vodka? And if so, I'm very curious how much. . . . and how they're getting it into them. LOL I doubt most dogs would readily lap up vodka.

I'm really curious about what the whole "theory" of who and why this would work.

Yes, they are giving straight vodka. Using a plastic syringe to the mouth.

My friend seems to think that this "method" works the same as the typical slow kill method. That it prevents new worms, and the adults eventually die off.

I asked my friend to email me the links of where they found this info. Nothing yet.

The slow kill method is not a treatment. Calling it a treatment is a dangerous misnomer. All that time you have adult worms in the blood stream, the dog's body is suffering from damage. It's just preventing new infection and waiting for the current worms to die off.

People believe in all sorts of crazy folk "cures" like rubbing used motor oil on a dog to kill mites. Many of these "treatments" are just a good way to kill a dog.

I use crazy folk treatments or unproven alternative remedies on myself, all the time. Because I have the ability to look up the information, or lack of it, and make the choice.

Dogs (or kids), not so much, so I wouldn't give them folk remedies and alternative medicine (since normal med will take anything that works anyway, so it'll no longer be just alt med). Like the way I get to be obese because I know it's bad for me. Now shh, dog, you don't get chocolate, that's mine.

I don't get involved in that kind of stuff. I have to be so careful not to offend customers because i need the business.

She knows better. She even works as a volunteer out at Wayside Waifs.

Maybe this a cop-out but her dogs are all rescues. They have a good life inside with a person who cares about them. They probably would have all been dead except she took them in. She buys them good food. They have a good life.

I don't agree with her about HW prevention but it is her decision to make. No t mine. i know it's expensive. I have to $140 for two months of HW for my 3 dogs. I bite the bullet and do it b ecause I am not a person who likes to take chances.

I have stepped in a couple of times when I felt really strongly that one of the dogs needed to go to the vet. She waits too long before she takes.

I don't agree with her about HW prevention but it is her decision to make. No t mine. i know it's expensive. I have to $140 for two months of HW for my 3 dogs. I bite the bullet and do it b ecause I am not a person who likes to take chances.

$140 - that IS expensive! or maybe I am missing something??? Which medication do you use?

I recently bought a 6 month supply of Heartgard for my 2 dogs for ~$60-$70. I bought it from my rehab vet, but I think her mark-up is MUCH lower than other vets (which is why I prefer to buy from her).

Jovi

Not Mark, but yes, we're using ivermectin for livestock.

To cover intestinal parasites, I try to dose quarterly with livestock Safeguard (~$120 for a liter, which will last a year <--that is, $120 will treat 9 dogs for a year, with quarterly treatments), and even using both products, I spend significantly less $$ than if I bought commerical HW preventives.

I know a lot of people just feel more comfortable with the commercial products, and that's cool, and if I had just a dog or two, I'd probably go that route, but with multiple dogs, it just makes sense for me to do what I do.

J.