BC Boards

Do you use crate after potty training is over?

INU

As I mentioned in another post, my 10 weeks old loves her crate. She is "almost" housebroken.

After potty training is over, do you still use your crate for your BCs? It seems like that's also a good place for her to peacefully chew on rawhide without other animals trying to steal from her.

When friends come over, they think it's cruel. I tell them, almost everyone suggested crate and she loves it! And it's still a good idea to watch her this way for other reasons beside potty.

A crate to a dog can become their own private space that they can retreat to, like a kid having their own bedroom. Some dogs really love them.

Once she's old enough to not get into any trouble when unsupervised you don't have to shut the door. Devin's crate is always open for him to come and go as he pleases. He usually spends the first half of the night in it and the second half on my bed when he gets cold. My mom's Aussie also loves a crate but Mom doesn't have one set up, consequently everytime Babe comes over here she heads into one of my dogs' and curls up.

Darcy on the other hand views crates as something that must be put up with occasionally. She's very good when she's in one but wears an "I can't believe you did this to me" look the whole time.

Even if you didn't want to have one set up for her when she's older it's a good idea to have one that fits her adult size. You never know when you may need it.

Briar loves her crate and we leave it in the livingroom with the door open and she goes there whenever she wants to rest. Rob is rather like Darcy. How dare you put me in here? That is unless it is in the van. Then he goes straight in and enjoys the ride.

Generally speaking, I would say to use the crate until you feel you can trust your dog to not ruin your home while you are not supervising. This does not only include potty-training, but also chewing and other destructible behavior.

Riley is almost 15 months old and is still crated if we are going to be gone more than 30-60 minutes. He is potty-trained, but still likes to chew on random things. He does sleep outside his crate most nights.

Betsy