BC Boards

Petsmart Training

INU

I want to take basic training courses with my 10 weeks old starting next week. I've contacted a couple of trainers in town but they both told me that I should wait till later. I just want to learn basic commands with her. My friend took 8 weeks basic courses at Petsmart and said it helped quite well. They also have sessions for little puppies like mine.

Has anyone taken classes there? If so, what did you think?

Just a couple of thoughts. Bear in mind that at 10 or even 11 weeks, your pup is not fully protected against the vaccine preventable diseases ? therefore I would only be taking her to classes specifically designed for baby pups in areas which as far as possible are free of disease risk (i.e. where unvaccinated dogs have not been).

Secondly, it?s always worth asking if you can go and have a look at any training class before you go with your pup. Have a look at the way the classes are run, whether the instructors seem to know what they?re doing, whether the training and handling is age appropriate, and whether you personally feel comfortable with the methods of training. Personally, I prefer well organized (but not rigid) classes with positive trainers.

While your pup is still a baby, she can learn lots in a gentle way, without really forced or over-formal training. Puppy classes here are usually about allowing pups to socialize with other similar age/size pups while gently learning some of the basic commands they?ll need later, and while owners learn the basic of responsible dog ownership and training.

Thank you for your suggestions. You are right. She just got her second shots but I am sure there are some owners who might forget to vactinate their's on time...

I have taught her sit, down, stay, "get up", come, and "roll"... Yes, she is a quick learner.

The only thing I am concerend is not her but the way I am training her. I read several dog training books and magazines. They all show different signals/words for each commands.

I use "get up" instead of "stand" so that she wouldn't get confused with "stay" and I also use my own hand signals that make more sense to me.

But I also want to know what the standard ways are. If we ever decided we want to compete in the future, I should use the standerized signals/words. Or, does it not matter? I am holding onto our own training sessions until "I" learn the right way to train her.

If you?re thinking about competing in obedience, you need to check the rules that relate to the competitions you might want to enter. In Australia there is some variety in the words and signals we can use ? just have to be single word commands, with the signal given at the same time ? but I think in the US the rules are different. See if there?s a training club, or an obedience meet near you, and go and talk to people. Such a smart pup will learn to change over anyway, but you might as well start her off right ? if only to stop you getting confused later! :rolleyes:

At this stage, if she knows all those things already, I would probably be concentrating on tricks, where there are no rules as to the words you use, and on getting her to watch you and gradually building up her concentration span. If you?re playing retrieve games, I would probably avoid using the ?competition word? ? usually ?fetch?, and instead just say something like ?go get it?. Then later you can teach the whole formal fetch exercise.

As far as ?stay? goes, just proceed very slowly ? very, very gradually increase distance and/or time ? in seconds and inches at a time. Try not to let her fail at any stage. The stay exercises are critical in competition, and the dogs that have been built up slowly are usually more reliable. Remember that stay means ? exactly in the position and place until I get back to you ? and then a little bit more. Don?t get carried away and push her too fast. Every time she breaks, you?ll have taken several steps backwards in training.

Above all, remember, she?s a baby - although a very clever one - and don?t be disappointed if she goes through a terrible toddler and crazy teenage stage later. Just love her through it all. Give her plenty of time to grow up, and to just be your lovely girl.

We put Iris through the 'Puppy Basics" class at Pet Smart. We started her at 16 weeks, though, and they said that it was just the right age. One thing, though, is that they would not let us start until she had her rabies shot. Also, the recommended getting a kennel cough shot, too.

As for how good the training program was... There were a couple of things I liked about it and some I didn't like. One thing I liked was that it gave Iris lots of exposure to different experiences. Also, the person running the training program was great -- she really loved puppies (and dogs in general).

What I didn't like was that even though the course only cost $99.00, we ended up spending $160.00 during the course. They run the coureses inside the store, so naturally, we couldn't leave without buying something -- new toy, more reward treats, whatever.

The goal of the course was to teach our puppy some manners. I think that she knows how she is supposed to behave, but her being 6 1/2 months old now, she's got this whole attitude that she doesn't need to do anything that we tell her unless we've got a treat for her.

That being said, we're not continuing on with the dog training at PetSmart. We've got her enrolled in Grade 1 at a local trainer that came highly recommended from some friends of mine (also, we saw them at our local SPCA's majour fund raising even).

So, to answer the question about starting your dog at PetSmart early, my own experience is that they didn't care how old the puppy was, as long as it had the rabbies vaccine.

Greg,

were you allowed to bring your own toys and treats?

In the other courses you took with Iris, did you give her treats every time shd did a good job or did the course had other ideas rather than giving treat? Sometimes I worry about giving my pup too much treats. Even if I break the treat in small pieces, it can be too much on her good days. I tried praising her but she doesn't get too excited.

PetSmart offers a Puppy Preschool class that I consider more for socializing a dog. They will teach basic commands to help get someone started.

I have taken the puppy preschool classes with my dogs and ONLY did it for the socializing aspect not for the obedience. My dogs all new basic obedience before they started puppy preschool. I thought it was a great place for socializing a puppy under supervision.

I don't think you should worry about the hand signals or verbal commands you use. If you are comfortable with it then use them. If you decide to compete down the road and you want to change the signals, your dog will be able to handle the change.

My daughters have been competing in obedience on the local and state level for 5 years now, we just got a "petsmart" that is within a reasonable distance from our house (about 30 miles) so we took the dogs to get some treats and a new leash for the State fair and to practice some obedience in a new place with lots of distractions, they had puppy classes going on and I to say the least was NOT impressed with the instructor, he was confusing and quite frankly told the people to do alot of things that seemed bassackwards to me, and some of it seemed pretty strong handed, jerking back on the leash and yanking the pup off of his feet when he did not come when called and other things that my kids have tried before and dosent work with a herding breed,or alot of other breeds. I am sure this doesent speak for all Petsmart trainers, so I would go and watch a couple classes meet the instructor and ask questions,(I would do that no matter where you go for classes) no use in wasting your money without checking things out first. Just my 2 cents worth for the day.

Tracy

I had learned a long time ago that Petsmart and PetCo trainers were not your typical skilled dog trainers like you will find at regular dog training schools. And the above price is outrageous. My 10 week basic obedience course at the school I choose was $65 and they start pups at 5 months old. Puppy school is just socialization stuff.I have found the regular professional dog training schools,unlike Petsmart, use positive training,no clickers(yuk),teach you how your body can control the dog and YES any word or hand signal your dog responds to.Trainers gasp at leash jerking unless the dog is very unruly and needs a heads up,listen to me attitude. I say check your yellow pages and find regular dog training schools where the inructors also get involved in showing.

Sue Barta

I was at Petsmart today and talked to the trainer who had her 4 month old BC/Aussie there with her. The pup was totally focused on the treats in her hand ( with the BC stare), and would jump up on her owner to get her attention. The trainer would turn away from the pup and the pup would sit down and the trainer would give her a treat for being good and sitting. This happened over and over and over, maybe 15 times.....I didn't clue in until later, as I was thinking about it, who actually was being trained.The pup knew exactly how to get all the treats she wanted. the poor frazzled trainer kept explaining to me what a no-no it was to have your dog jump up on you, and it was because of all the people that came in and wanted to pet her dog over the little fence that she was misbehaving... I think a professional trainer would hopefully be able to see through this type of manipulation...so from this short experience I wasn't really impressed with the insight of the Petsmart trainer.

Originally posted by INU:

were you allowed to bring your own toys and treats?

Absolutely! The trainer told us to cut the treats up into little bits, mix them all up in a fanny pouch and dump in a bunch of kibble. That way, a good chunk of the 'treats' is actually kibble that has picked up the scent of the treats. I thought it was good advice. Unfortunately, Iris would spit out the kibble. Go figure.

In the other courses you took with Iris, did you give her treats every time shd did a good job or did the course had other ideas rather than giving treat?
We've only done the one course -- the PetSmart puppy kindergarden. But in that course, every time she did good, she got a treat. Iris is pretty good at everything we've taught her so far with the exception of walking -- she really wants to pull on the leash. So far, we haven't found a treat that she is willing to fixate on more than pulling on the leash.

Sometimes I worry about giving my pup too much treats. Even if I break the treat in small pieces, it can be too much on her good days. I tried praising her but she doesn't get too excited.
I think it depends on the treats. We tried some treats that didn't agree with Iris, and we haven't used them since. As I mentioned above, you can mix the kibble in with the treats so that the kibble picks up the smell of the treats. It didn't work for us, though.

GregN-instead of treats for that leash pulling you are trying to accomplish how about this approach--whenever she pulls while you are walking do an immediate about turn and walk away from her.She'll start getting the idea to learn to stick with you.Do it many times and you'll see what I mean. Walk and when she least expects it,do an about turn and say"this way" and take off.Sooner or later good trainers will tell you treats will become a mental distraction and the pup needs to learn to read your body moves. Plus in competition treats and toys are not allowed so it is easier to try to eventually get away from treats in training.

None of my dogs took treats but their praise was tons of "yippy yahoos" that got them excited.

Sue Barta

Bartas Borders&Quarters

www.bartasborders.com

Originally posted by BARTASBORDERS:

GregN-instead of treats for that leash pulling you are trying to accomplish how about this approach--whenever she pulls while you are walking do an immediate about turn and walk away from her.She'll start getting the idea to learn to stick with you.Do it many times and you'll see what I mean. Walk and when she least expects it,do an about turn and say"this way" and take off.Sooner or later good trainers will tell you treats will become a mental distraction and the pup needs to learn to read your body moves. Plus in competition treats and toys are not allowed so it is easier to try to eventually get away from treats in training.

Now that makes sense to me. I have noticed that our dog get's bored of the treats after about a half hour. I'll try the radical direction shifting, I think that might actually work. I had somebody suggest to me to get a gentle leader, but I'm not so sure I want to go that route. I mean, she's not what I would call a chronic puller -- it's just that she get's distracted easily.