BC Boards

Slammed His Tail in the Car Door

mbc1963

So... my dog has only seriously growled at me twice. Once, when I went to pull the screen door shut against the snow, and caught his tail in the door. And then again today, when I went to shut the car door and caught his tail in it. Poor baby!

Anyway, he's now kind of pacing and leaning on me - the things he does when he's in pain.

Is there anything I can do? I think it's down near the tip, and he's got a LOT of tail fur, so there was some padding. There is no blood or cut; I think it's just a big OW like when we shut our fingers in a door or something.

Anyone had experience with this? I'm $2500 into a tooth repair for myself, so can't be running to the vet willy-nilly.

Thanks,

Mary

Poor guy! Hope your tooth is feeling better.

Can you look at it at all? Would you feel comfortable calling your vet and asking if there is first aid you can do? My vet would probably give me some advice over the phone for something like this, but I know not all vets would.

How is he holding his tail - stiffly, held low, or normally? And be careful when he goes through doorways in your house, if he whacks it against a doorjam he really won't like it.

Yikes for both you guys!

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Ice for 20 minutes every hour and it may need splinting for protection. Remember tails are spinal cord so an injury to it would be very painful. I had someone run over the tip of one of my dogs tail with a rolly chair and it ended up having to be amputated. Pay close attention to how it is doing and if you notice that it bends more than it should or becomes a cooler temp than it should be, get him to the vet. I would add if it swells much and if he acts like it is painful for long.

Can you shave that area (to the tip) so you can get a good look at what damage there might be? We wound up with a tip amputation after a puppy bite (bad little Dan!) to the end of Megan's tail infected in spite of vet care.

I agree with a phone call to the vet. She or he may be willing to at least prescribe something for pain and be able to give you some advice for assessing whether or not he should be seen.

I understand not wanting to run to the vet for every little thing, but if you've caused him some injury, IMO you owe it to him to have him seen if he needs it.

Thanks so much for the prompt replies! :)

Good news - the soreness seems to have faded quickly. The tail went back up to its normal position, and Buddy stopped leaning on me and fussing - he crawled under the bed just now to go to sleep, as usual. (When he's in pain, he literally comes in the bed with me and lies as hard against me as he can.)

So... bit of panic on my part, I guess. I can't stand when they hurt and they can't tell you what's going on!

Mary