BC Boards

Puppy Poop=My life

The title pretty much says it all. My 13 wk old BC has very loose stools with lots of mucous...looks like he ate a jellyfish. I've had him to the vet numerous times and she did find he had Giardia and treated him for it. Maybe it helped for a while and he has a solid stool once in a while but predominantly runny. The food we give him is Be-Natural puppy kibble (moistened for 10 minutes) mixed with Royal Canin canned with probiotic powder and a dollop of cooked pumpkin.

After A LOT of research I did start a basic raw diet of chicken breast, chicken wing mixed in with the canned food, probiotic and pumpkin for 4 days but nope....still pudding poop. He loves raw BTW.

He's healthy and energetic otherwise and is hydrated but I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I'm taking him to the vet again tomorrow and I'm going to try going back to JUST kibble and try a process of elimination. Other than that do you have any suggestions? My wife says maybe he just has that kind of tummy like our daughter did when she was baby.....but I don't buy it. I've been researching the hell out of this topic which may not be the best thing considering all the information and has become confusing for sure. I want to get this figured out.

PS....Can anyone give me any information about the brand Be-Natural kibble? It's from Australia and supposed to be good quality but I'll be darmned if I can fine any information about it.

I am not familiar with Be-Natural kibble.

Do you think that you are allowing enough time for your puppy's system to adjust to one food type before switching to another? (I am responding to what you say about being on the basic raw diet for only 4 days, then back to the vet and already thinking about switching foods again.)

Since the runny, mucousy poops have not reliably cleared up, have you retested him to make sure that the Giardia has been completely effective. He may need another treatment for Giardia?

When my pup was young, he would occasionally have bouts of diarrhea, but otherwise be energetic and eat well. I would treat him with a dose or two of Biosponge (from Platinum Vet) and he would clear up.

YMMV.

Jovi

Jovi, Yes, I'm thinking I need to just give him more time with either the kibble or raw. Right now I think the kibble is the easiest to monitor so I'm going that route... and stick with it.

Terrecar, I just asked my wife and she said the vet did in fact find coccidia after the Giradia. Remember, everything is in Japanese and although I speak it pretty well I miss some of the topic specific words and explanations. He was at the vet after that getting his 2nd round of shots but his poop wasn't too bad then so we assumed it was clearing up. Anyway, I hope we can get him in tomorrow but it's Obon summer holiday week here and the clinic might be closed.

Meanwhile my wife's friend is suffering from heat stroke from too much time at our beach in this heat....we live right on the water....I warned them!!

Also, forgot to mention. For morning training treats ...steamed chicken breast bits. Stella, I'll be cutting those out, too. I just talked to the vet and she said put him on the canned Canin only as it's a little gentler on the tummy and see how that goes. If it continues and he shows any signs of typical dehydration then bring him in. The vet is a 45 min., stressful over a mountain pass with switchbacks (car sick puppy) drive away so monitor and see is a prudent policy.

I would also go back to the vet for a recheck. And even if the test is negative for giardia, perhaps treating again would be in order since, if I am not mistaken, it is dificult to test for.

I would also put the pup on a bland diet of boiled chicken (no bones obviously) and rice until stools firm up. Then I would gradually start adding kibble - if that is what you are going to stick with - over the course of a few days. If the runny stool returns, then I would switch kibbles. And as SS Cressa suggested, perhaps eliminate chicken as the protien source in the kibble. Just as an aside, one of my dogs as a pup couldn't digest poultry real well (loose stools) but as an adult has no problem.

YMMV.

Good luck!

Thanks Vicki and Julie. The vet did say we may have to do another round of meds after we see in a few days. She's a pretty well respected vet and have been going to her for a few years with our cat. I really like her a lot. She doesn't pull any punches in her opinion on things. Kinda funny actually.

I would also look into adding digestive enzymes to his meals at least until a couple weeks after all this is cleared up. With the diarrhea, he isn't getting everything out of his foods and adding more enzymes will help with that. Some dogs don't make enough enzymes of their own anyways.

If it is pudding poop, it is passing through the large intestine too fast and adding a little fiber, pumpkin, psyllium, ground chia seeds, is called for until it clears up. If he is itchy, has goopy eyes or ears, hot or moist skin, it could be a food intolerance.

I had exactly the sort of problems you describe with my older dog when he was a pup. Loose stools, sometimes mucous-y, sometimes raging diarrhea. We had numerous fecal exams that all were negative. I finally (having read that there were a lot of false negative results with Giardia tests) put him on a course of Panacur, and repeated it after three weeks. That solved the issue.

I would also look into adding digestive enzymes to his meals at least until a couple weeks after all this is cleared up. With the diarrhea, he isn't getting everything out of his foods and adding more enzymes will help with that. Some dogs don't make enough enzymes of their own anyways.

I'll look into that. Now I have to figure out how to say digestive enzymes in Japanese. It's got to be the first time in my 20 years here for it to come up in conversation.

pudding poop :lol:

My kingdom for a solid shait.... :blink: It's got to be a sign of love to be constantly thinking of your dog's bowel movements..haha.

I had exactly the sort of problems you describe with my older dog when he was a pup. Loose stools, sometimes mucous-y, sometimes raging diarrhea. We had numerous fecal exams that all were negative. I finally (having read that there were a lot of false negative results with Giardia tests) put him on a course of Panacur, and repeated it after three weeks. That solved the issue.

Ya know...that's what I'd been thinking...worms.. but the vet made no mention of it. He's been dragging his butt a bit but that could just be from an itchy, sore pooper. I got my wife looking for some or something like it.

Thank you all.

He's been dragging his butt a bit but that could just be from an itchy, sore pooper.

Yep. My pup was doing that as well. My vet (no longer the current vet :) ) was certain it couldn't be a parasite - all the tests had proven negative. Funny how the diarrhea all cleared up with two rounds of Panacur, spaced three weeks apart.

It's a very safe drug - can even be administered to pregnant bitches, does not require a prescription in the United States. I just wish I'd given it a try earlier.

Best of luck!

There's always the internet!

One final thought, after treating for giardia and other intestinal parasites, is to consider some bloodwork. We had a youngster with frequent bouts of "digestive disturbances" - diarrhea, lack of appetite, and interest in eating "odd" things rather than conventional dog food (that everyone else was gobbling down avidly). Basic bloodwork showed that "something was going on". A more extensive bloodwork panel showed that he had some inherent difficulties with dgiestion, primarily an inability to absorb certain B vitamins.

He actually turned out to have serious digestive system issues, some of which may well have been due to more than one type of parasite infestation as a young pup that led to damage of his digestive tract lining. The breeder insisted that these problems did not originate in her kennel but must have been something he picked up here, even though diagnosis occurred in less than a week after I picked this 12 week-old pup up and brought him home. Our pup's was an extreme case.

So, kudos to you for seeking an answer to all this because it can be very frustrating to deal with "emission control"!

Yes, everything is bought online way out here in rural Japan. But, panacur is not approved here and ordering from the US takes a few weeks. I will order some but in the mean time I'm off to the vet with a sample tomorrow.

Eureka...a formed turd tonight. Hope it continues.