BC Boards

Fast dog in search of skilled handler

Nice run, great distance skills.

Thanks for posting that, I never thought of it that way with the curl versus 'blocking' an entrance. I had a similar fault last weekend at regionals, straight fast line into the right tunnel mouth, when it was suppose to be taken at the left. I stood on the right hoping to 'block' and push into the left mouth. Obviously it didn't work -20 points, rats!. It would of been totally possible to get on the left side of that line, I was just scared of leaving the open option. Something to practice this week I guess.

Course analysis is a weak point for me, need more experience, I love post like this!

I love posts like this too! I need to see videos, I am still a newby, we've been going to trials for right at a year. I actually made this same mistake in class Monday night and my teacher told me the same thing, I should have gone on the side of the tunnel opening, especially since my dog is getting so much better at working at some distance it wouldn't have caused problems with me catching up to her.

Layla is also a "fast dog in search of a skilled handler". When I'm late on cues she barks at me, and she's justified, LOL.

Layla is also a "fast dog in search of a skilled handler". When I'm late on cues she barks at me, and she's justified, LOL.

I guess I am lucky?? in that when I am late with cues, Torque does not bark at me. Instead he decides to take matters into his own paws and continues on HIS course. I just imagine him thinking "No cue? Scr3w you. I will just make up my own course - just as long as I keep running." :)

Jovi

I guess I am lucky?? in that when I am late with cues, Torque does not bark at me. Instead he decides to take matters into his own paws and continues on HIS course. I just imagine him thinking "No cue? Scr3w you. I will just make up my own course - just as long as I keep running." :)

Jovi

That's Jude too. I love it that way, cause technically he's reading my handling right, I'm doing it wrong/ late. I count myself lucky that I have such an independent and driven dog (though I do a lot of work to maintain that too).

Mine stops turns and screams at me, I can send him over one maybe 2 jumps but on one of those long NADAC runs from one end of the course to the other we are toast.

On the flip side he only ever goes of course if I am wrong or very confusing and it works really well in snooker.

To be honest it is a product of me wanting to handle using the principles of Linda M, and learning how to do it, when we started out together my handling was adequate for my first dog, but not for this one so we have had to learn together and he let's me know very clearly when I did not get it right. I could have added distance and working from the rear, but I really wanted to Just become a much better handler.... It's a long road and I still have a long way to go :)

• 4 weeks later...

Am also a new handler and yup me too! I need to be SO much faster to keep up with him. About the running contacts, we are doing running aframe and stopped dogwalk - I'm using Rachel's box method for the running aframe and I really like it so far. We started on the method at the start of March and are just coming up on full height (last session at 5' and limited/no sequencing in training) and some trialing. I am going to trials but am limiting attempts at the aframe when possible or handling for a straight on approach. This past weekend he missed once, I got a couple of less than ideal hits and a couple of perfect hits. We're sitting around 4/5 or roughly 80% on most sessions. I have videos from a large portion of our training, from the grid work on.

I have no idea how well it's going to work in the long term, but I really enjoy working on training it and that's the important part for me personally!