BC Boards

Help With Names?

Well, I'm waiting on getting my male pup from the breeder in a few weeks, and I'm having a tough time with names. I like unique, and traditional names. I've been considering Twist, Krash, Fly (maybe a bit too girly), and Koda. But I'm so stuck! Leave some suggestions please? :)

Fly is a girl name. Look on the ISDS site; Never name a dog you are going to work on stock Krash...or I guess in agility!

i'm a traditionalist...One syllable, short

Pam, Dixie, Libby, Preacher, Dave, Duke, Ted, Sue, Becca, Spec, Finn,

Ok Preacher isn't traditional, but it suits him. Love Ben, Dusk, Soot, Ken, Gael (girl name), Moss

cynthia

My retired open dog (female) is named Twist. There was another female dog in the northeast also named Twist. So I think of Twist as a girl name, though I guess it's really gender neutral. Still whenever I see the name Twist, I'm going to think "girl."

I've named all of my young dogs after birds: Phoebe, Pip (Pipit), Lark, Kestrel, Birdie (okay, not an actual bird, but still a bird name). The other dogs (some deceased): Boy, Jill, Kat, Willow (actually Willoughby, but it got shortened to Willow), Farleigh. I don't mind two-syllable names, but I do want it to be pretty easy to say, at high volume if necessary. I don't want innocent bystanders to wonder if I'm cursing my dog or otherwise, so I try to choose names that won't be misunderstood by others as well. For example, I thought the name Thistle was cute until my sister pointed out I'd probably sound like Daffy Duck if I was calling that name....

If there are names you like just try them out once the pup gets to you. You might be surprised that something comes to you once the pup arrives. Like Cynthia, I don't like to choose names with bad connotations. I've long wanted to name a pup after Ruffian (the racehorse) and call it Ruff or Ruffi, but the superstitious part of me worries that I'd be condemning a dog so named to early disaster....

J.

Hi,

When I decided to get mine I wanted something non traditional. I got a red and white female and named her Kian ( like the cayenne pepper). Naming our colts was always the fun part. I have one named Zip because she would just zip around the pasture as fast as she could go. The other is pepper ( short for peppermint ) she is red with white hairs mixed. A friend named her BC pup Puzzle. What are his markings, like Juliepoudrier said once you get him and can see what hes like it will probably come to you and may be something you had never considered. Good luck and have fun. The wed has a lot of sites with dogs names.

I don't have specific names to suggest, but just some considerations that I think about when trying to come up with a name:

Short - 1 (best) or 2 syllables for when you want to get his attention FAST

Hard consonant sounds front and/or back - again, so the name is easy to hear and recognize

Do you feel comfortable yelling the name when other people are around (similar to what Julie suggested)

The name should not sound like any command you intend to use - Bo might be confused with No

Jovi

My older dog is Duncan (traditional Scottish name; also inspired by the fact that at the time we got him, my older son was supposed to be in a production of "that Scottish play" (until a schedule conflict emerged)).

With the second dog (acquired recently), I needed another traditional Scottish name that sounded very different from Duncan. After searching the ISDS website and some lists of Scottish boys' names, we ended up with Ross (a family name on my husband's side). It suits him.

I guess I need to get some photos uploaded of Ross...

ISDS names can be found here: http://www.palado.demon.nl/bcdb/dognames.htm

I don't have specific names to suggest, but just some considerations that I think about when trying to come up with a name:

Short - 1 (best) or 2 syllables for when you want to get his attention FAST

Hard consonant sounds front and/or back - again, so the name is easy to hear and recognize

Do you feel comfortable yelling the name when other people are around (similar to what Julie suggested)

The name should not sound like any command you intend to use - Bo might be confused with No

Jovi

This - especially one syllable.

4 out of 6 dogs I've had lately have had 2 syllable names and all were usually shortened to 1.

I don't think Fly is a girl name, I know numerous male dogs named Fly. I also really like the name Koda.

I never really pay attention to the syllables. I typically like names that are from books. I'm getting a pup in August and my number 1 name right now is Rochester, from Jane Eyre.

Some other ones I've thought about:

Skylar

Aidan

Tristan

Asher

Loki

Ajax

Dodger

Huan

Fable

Nova