BC Boards

Silvia Trkman Handling class

I have a friend who did the Foundations class (which I am also seriously considering), and is now taking (or will be taking) the Handling class). She recommends taking the Foundation class before the Handling class.

I looove Trkman - all 90 lbs of her. She is a tiny person. It is amazing to see how fast she is in videos.

Jovi

I only have second hand knowledge from my agility classmate, but she was very pleased with the Foundations online class.

She has had exposure to the Derrett/Garrett system, but is preferring her online Trkman classes. (She actually traveled to Garrett's facility to take one of her workshops, but was 'banished' outside when SG deemed her dog distracting to the other dogs and not wanting to tug enough. This woman is not an experienced handler, but she is adept, no-nonsense and learns fast, and her experience left a sour taste in her mouth for SG.)

Apparently, the beginning of the course can be pretty intimidating with the number of posts, but the posts decrease over the period of the course as people drop out and only the hard-core are left.

Jovi

Hopefully, I will remember to ask her on Wednesday night (agility class). Probably better to email her. I will see what I can find out.

At this time: From the description on ST's website, she will be relying quite a bit on her new "Foundations" DVD - so that is a change from her previous Foundations classes (which is what my friend took). With the class access, you will see all the posts/questions/videos from the other participants, plus you will receive feedback on your videos - rather than just working through the Foundations video on your own.

Without seeing the Foundations video, I am going to guess that, in addition to using her own dogs to illustrate training concepts, ST included some of the videos from her previous students to show certain good and bad examples.

Jovi

I am also interested in what the class is like.. I looked into her handling class but it looked like you needed a full course to be able to really take it. So I have been taking Daisy Peels course which requires 6 jumps and a tunnel, I have got more out of that than many of my previous in person classes.

alligande -

Per ST's website, the Foundations class needs: "To follow the class, you need at least 1 tunnel (2 is better) and 3-4 jumps. The class is 12 weeks long (+ we’ll do a 2 week break somewhere in the middle)."

I can't speak to the equipment needed for the Handling class.

Jovi

• 2 months later...

We've done both Foundations and Handling. I love her classes! As for equipment needed in Handling: jumps, tunnels, teeter, Aframe, weaves, and dog walk. But if you don't have all equipment she doesn't mind if you change the course around a bit. These are international courses, so you will see a lot of things like pushing to the front of the jumps. However, I'm now seeing this in US courses as well.

Freeman 101, that was what I suspected, that you needed most of the equipment. My yard is small so I train in public parks.. I have been taking Daisy Peels handling classes as I only need 6-7 jumps and 1 tunnel.

When the time comes for a puppy I will take her foundation class as I love her trick training.