BC Boards

Dog won't eat

My dog is the sort that will eat anytime and anything. In 4 1/2 years i do not think he has ever missed a meal. Last night he didn't eat his dinner and this morning he still wouldn't touch it and I could not entice him with anything. Assuming all other behaviour is normal, how long before I take him to the vet? Any thoughts on what it could be? I have not been out in the yard yet to look for vomit or suspicious poop but i will head out to inspect aqs soon as it is light out. Am i right to feel panicky or did he likely eat something that upset his tummy?

I agree. If at that age he has never missed a meal I would be concerned and get him to a vet after the second skipped meal. On the other hand some dogs self fast. I have one who regularly misses a meal or two but he has been that way since about 6 months of age. I am not a big fan of bribing dogs to eat in situations like this as I have found that it can mask issues. Several years ago boots who never misses a chance for food missed a meal but seemed fine, much like you are describing. So I offered him chicken and rice for the next meal, which he inhaled and that continued to be all he ate for a few days. Several days of that and he wouldn't touch it either. He ended up with a really bad bowel infection and mild pancreatitis. I think if I had kept things normal I would have known that he really didn't feel well sooner. I think its fine to make special meals once you know what is going on but a well taken care of dog is not going to die from missing a meal or two and I think we get better info from them keeping things normal. Hope your guy is ok.

Ditto. If the dog is normally a good eater, there's something wrong. My friend's dog refused a meal and she took her to the vet immediately, fortunately for the dog, who had pyometra and likely would have died if my friend hadn't reacted so quickly. Not trying to scare you, but I think when it's a dog that will eat anything, anytime, then not eating could be a sign of something serious.

J.

That's what I thought, i just don't want to rush in if it is not necessary. We are heading to the vet this sfternoon. Hopefully it is nothing serious. We had to say goodbye to our 14 year old dog just before Christmas last year and the first indication that all was not well is that she stopped eating so when Orbit refused to eat last night, it just took me right back to that feeling of desperately hoping Laska would eat so she could get better. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I took Orbit out for a long forest walk today because the weather is finally nice and he has been getting shafted lately. I have been feeling a bit guilty and he has been so tolerant. He had a great time and when we came home and he ate.

Could he have been feeling depressed about the lack of fun outings of late

Should i keep the vet appointment or wait and see (My question mark seems to be malfunctiong)

Interesting....

If he ate well and everything seems alright I might postpone the vet a few days to see if his eating is back to normal.

I have seen some of my dogs eat less when less active. But it's the ones that tend to self fast themselves too. Not my big eaters. I would be like you, running for the vet if my eaters went off for more that a few meals.

I do think dogs get depressed. Faye is still out of commission. The vet said I can walk her anywhere now without worry but when I do her rod pokes her in the chest so we really can't walk or run that much.

She is depressed, so is her house mate and favorite play mate. But it doesn't affect either ones eating habits. They are some of my "good" eaters.

Good to hear he's feeling better!

I'll agree with postponing it for a few days to see if eating habits go back to normal. I know you said that you couldn't entice him with anything, but could you clarify? Like he wouldn't accept treats of any kind either?

I had issues with Jack not wanting to eat for a few days and was concerned. I was forced to pour the food from his bowl practically right in his face or hold handfuls of the food in front of him to get him to eat. Turned out he was just tired of dry food. I now mix a spoonful of wet into his kibble and he's in love with food again.

Well the good news is that Orbit is back to eating. Unfortunately, I have no idea why he skipped those 2 meals. After he ate in the late morning i called the vet and they agreed that waiting til tomorrow (they are open on saturdays) would be a good idea.

As i mentioned, things have been really crazy around here and the weather has been the pits. With 2 sick kids, Orbit was low man on the totem pole. He may have been trying to tell me that he needed more interesting outings. Seriously, I have no idea what that was about. Last night i tried to feed him kibble (Evo - which he has been on while we find a new raw supplier) which normally makes him drool - literally. When that was a no go, i offered him a raw chicken breast (my soon to be dinner) and when he turned his nose up at that, salmon skin. This morning i offered kibble and his raw food (my husband brought it home late last night). He wanted neither. After our walk, he ate the raw food and then tonight he ate the last bowl of kibble.

So who knows. I am hoping that is the end of that. In terms of gum colour, what would indicate that there was a problem