BC Boards

What do we have here?

This really nice intact bitch with no collar wandered onto a farm about 40 miles south of here (Brandon, SD) about a month ago. No owner was found and she eventually came to live here on our acreage. Two other dogs, 4 horses, cats, etc. No problems with socialization so far, but she has only been here for a week. We had her figured as a BC cross, with everyone at the local vets office guessing Rotweiller because of the markings. But now we're wondering if she could be a full BC, as we have discovered this color possibility on the net. She does have a small white patch on her chest, weighs 46 lbs and stands 17 1/2 inches at the shoulder, between 1 - 2 years. She is calm (except when playing or a vehicle is in sight), sweet, and trains easily. She could be an agility star, don't know about her herding sense but she is calm and not aggressive around the horses. We haven't put her in any kind of a herding situation yet, but she is eager to please and does not like being left in the large fenced yard when we are working with and around the horses. All in all we don't understand how this beautiful dog could have been abandoned. Would appreciate any opinions on her parentage, or if her size is large for a BC. Thanks in advance.

Nancy & John Everist

post-14355-079667400 1355427262_thumb.jpg

OK, got the picture of Nell added to the original post. Horses are barefoot. Is there any significant difference in a horse or a cow kick as long as there's no steel in the equation? I thought lots of folks used BC's on cattle. Thanks for your concern, we do love our critters. Our red heeler loves to encourage the horses from the pastures into the paddocks, but both he and the horses have been trained to respect each others respective abilities. This new dog might put us in the wool business tho

If you love her keep her away from the horses

Are you scared of horses?

Of course one should not use dogs to work horses (@Jeverist, yes also barefoot kicks can kill or severely injure your dog).

But as we round up our sheep on horseback it is essential that the dogs can be around horses and behave.

So I take my dogs along when I do something with the horses, and teach them manners along the way.

What a cutie! Thank you for giving her a home. I am glad she is fitting in.

I have also heard that you should not use BCs to work/herd horses due to the potential for a lethal kick. But if the dog behaves, no reason not to let her run along on trail rides.

She could be BC, BC/Aussie mix or BC mix or Aussie mix. As many people on this forum will say - if it herds like a BC, then there is a high probability it is a BC. (Sorry if I paraphrased that wrong, but I hope I got the idea across.)

Jovi

She looks like a small English Shepherd to me. There was a breeder in Southern Oklahoma who produced registered English Shepherds whose dogs pretty much match the coloring of this dog. Breeder is no longer in operation now last I heard.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=english+shepherd&num=10&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1440&bih=743&tbm=isch&tbnid=pH6GiyG_0EzSBM:&imgrefurl=http://www.carouselfarm.com/englishshepherds.html&docid=fKSoZVvmXEHSZM&imgurl=http://www.carouselfarm.com/Rex.jpg&w=806&h=587&ei=V2vKUNnZEseerAH-1YGIDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=400&vpy=346&dur=3095&hovh=192&hovw=263&tx=170&ty=94&sig=104728381892018226327&page=1&tbnh=162&tbnw=231&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0,i:178

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=english+shepherd&num=10&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1440&bih=743&tbm=isch&tbnid=1PB9z0o8n6J9oM:&imgrefurl=http://www.whiteoakenglishshepherds.com/Enka_pg2.html&docid=9-HN0xfsqYCFXM&imgurl=http://www.whiteoakenglishshepherds.com/images/Enka_Kira_2_days_old.JPG&w=421&h=288&ei=V2vKUNnZEseerAH-1YGIDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=761&vpy=336&dur=3921&hovh=186&hovw=272&tx=87&ty=111&sig=104728381892018226327&page=2&tbnh=161&tbnw=242&start=21&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:40,s:0,i:276

This really nice intact bitch with no collar wandered onto a farm about 40 miles south of here (Brandon, SD) about a month ago. No owner was found and she eventually came to live here on our acreage. Two other dogs, 4 horses, cats, etc. No problems with socialization so far, but she has only been here for a week. We had her figured as a BC cross, with everyone at the local vets office guessing Rotweiller because of the markings. But now we're wondering if she could be a full BC, as we have discovered this color possibility on the net. She does have a small white patch on her chest, weighs 46 lbs and stands 17 1/2 inches at the shoulder, between 1 - 2 years. She is calm (except when playing or a vehicle is in sight), sweet, and trains easily. She could be an agility star, don't know about her herding sense but she is calm and not aggressive around the horses. We haven't put her in any kind of a herding situation yet, but she is eager to please and does not like being left in the large fenced yard when we are working with and around the horses. All in all we don't understand how this beautiful dog could have been abandoned. Would appreciate any opinions on her parentage, or if her size is large for a BC. Thanks in advance.

Nancy & John Everist

Thanks for the answers! @Dragoon: I found a breed comparison chart ( BC, ES, and Aussie) and she matches the English Shepherd criteria right down the line until we get to working style. As stated we haven't put her in a working situation with the horses and won't. She has been playing a lot with our wolfhound bitch and a friends Husky bitch (our cattle dog is on house arrest with leg surgery), and we've never seen her crouch or use "the look". So for now we'll go with ES until she starts acting like a BC. No big deal, but its interesting nevertheless. Never was aware of the breed. She's a dead ringer for those pictures, and the sweetest thing ever. She's home now

What a beautiful little girl! I see you've already got good suggestions as to what she is, though, so I won't throw Aussie/BC at you. ;) Congratulations on taking in such a lovely dog - she looks so very happy!

OK, got the picture of Nell added to the original post. Horses are barefoot. Is there any significant difference in a horse or a cow kick as long as there's no steel in the equation? I thought lots of folks used BC's on cattle. Thanks for your concern, we do love our critters. Our red heeler loves to encourage the horses from the pastures into the paddocks, but both he and the horses have been trained to respect each others respective abilities. This new dog might put us in the wool business tho

If a horse kicks a dog, it won't matter if there's steel or not. That's 1100 pounds of animal taking a swing at one weighing 40, with the force of a Louisville Slugger. I've known dogs killed by a single kick. And cows don't tend to kick with the sheer ferocity that a horse can - and even then, dogs are injured by cow kicks all the time. So, folks here were just worried that you let your dogs work your horses, but I see your later post that you do not. Thank goodness! :)

Again, congrats on the lovely new girl, whatever her breeding! :) She's so lucky to be home.

~ Gloria

I met the first "English" Shepherd imported into the UK a few years ago and she would have passed for a tri BC but the dog that the owner imported next was similar to this one.

I take the owner's claim that her dog was the first in the country at face value as few people had ever heard of them, including me.

On the other hand, the colouring is pretty common in various breeds so who knows?