BC Boards

Nipping at Guests - Chasing Cars

When you see a distraction or something that might trigger her, make sure to pre-empt by getting her to focus on you beforehand (treats are good for this, using especially desirable ones) and get her doing something with you that will divert and occupy her. Also make sure that *you* don't worry about or make a big deal about the people or whatever. The dogs are quick to pick up on your anxieties.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been real diligent about doing a preemptive distract with her when people and cars go by. Patience! Here's a new one. At the pet store tonight, with hardly any distractions, and a guy employee bounced a tennis ball in front of her for a few times, and she started barking. Then she barked at the other guy employee for no reason. That's the second time that happened...maybe she just wanted the ball? I'm going to looking into local agility training. She's stating to jump through my arms if I'm low to the ground!

My dogs don't have any sensitivity issues, but a bouncing tennis ball would certainly set them off! :P

So, I'd say avoid bouncing balls or just be ready to divert or distract her instantly. That's a LOT of stimulation and it may be she doesn't know how to shut it off, ergo barking at the second person.

~ Gloria

My dogs don't have any sensitivity issues, but a bouncing tennis ball would certainly set them off! :P/>/>

So, I'd say avoid bouncing balls or just be ready to divert or distract her instantly. That's a LOT of stimulation and it may be she doesn't know how to shut it off, ergo barking at the second person.

~ Gloria

You really have to work overtime to protect your dog from thoughtless people.

Our Ladybug (normally a very calm dog but extremely ball focused to the point where I suspect she may have had some training in flyball) literally tore molding from a door frame in a frantic effort to get to a tennis ball being bounced thoughtlessly by my brother-in-law outside the bedroom window because he thought it would make her "feel better". I'd tucked her away in one of her favorite spots for a snooze during a family gathering just because of his previous idiocies and she was happily perched on a pillow on the bed where she could see out of the windows until he started his nonsense. He's lucky she didn't go through the window. Because of his idiocy now, sadly, Ladybug goes into the mudroom in a crate with the mere mortal dogs and she's not happy about it.

I have a 4 year old fear agressive / reactive border collie towards people. I hate when people say "be the alpha". This is old school dog training and many of these are now myths. Do your homework before listening to the first advice someone gives you, its often very wrong - believe me, I know :rolleyes:

Set your dog up for success and control the situation, set up scenarios where she will have a positve and happy experience with people. Find a training club with a behaviourist (positive reinforcement and ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE GOING) not a local obedience club, usually they do not have qualified behaviourist taking classes and will mostly give advice on life experience with dogs which may not be acurate and could cause worse behaviour in your dog.

The more bad experiences your dog has now, the worse the behaviour will get - stop going to pet stores - you cant control what might happen.

I've been real diligent about doing a preemptive distract with her when people and cars go by. Patience! Here's a new one. At the pet store tonight, with hardly any distractions, and a guy employee bounced a tennis ball in front of her for a few times, and she started barking. Then she barked at the other guy employee for no reason. That's the second time that happened...maybe she just wanted the ball? I'm going to looking into local agility training. She's stating to jump through my arms if I'm low to the ground!

Stop going to the pet store. Period. Find a a legit training place with people and students who are knowledgeable about dog behavior. Any good place would let all the students know up front what they can and can't do (approach a reactive dog, try to pet another students dog without permission, allow small kids into the class, etc). Pet stores are not where your dog should go to learn. Find someone who has lots of experience working on problem behaviors, not just someone who can teach basic commands.

You really have to work overtime to protect your dog from thoughtless people.Our Ladybug (normally a very calm dog but extremely ball focused to the point where I suspect she may have had some training in flyball) literally tore molding from a door frame in a frantic effort to get to a tennis ball being bounced thoughtlessly by my brother-in-law outside the bedroom window because he thought it would make her "feel better". I'd tucked her away in one of her favorite spots for a snooze during a family gathering just because of his previous idiocies and she was happily perched on a pillow on the bed where she could see out of the windows until he started his nonsense. He's lucky she didn't go through the window. Because of his idiocy now, sadly, Ladybug goes into the mudroom in a crate with the mere mortal dogs and she's not happy about it.

I get it about people who don't understand dog behavior.. and I'm trying to understand Scarlet. Our other BC who died in August was perfect (for the most part) around other people and dogs, but again we raised her from a pup, too. We're kinda caught off guard since we thought all BC's had the same temermanet. She's great around the immediate pack.

I have a 4 year old fear agressive / reactive border collie towards people. I hate when people say "be the alpha". This is old school dog training and many of these are now myths. Do your homework before listening to the first advice someone gives you, its often very wrong - believe me, I know :rolleyes:/> Set your dog up for success and control the situation, set up scenarios where she will have a positve and happy experience with people. Find a training club with a behaviourist (positive reinforcement and ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE GOING) not a local obedience club, usually they do not have qualified behaviourist taking classes and will mostly give advice on life experience with dogs which may not be acurate and could cause worse behaviour in your dog.The more bad experiences your dog has now, the worse the behaviour will get - stop going to pet stores - you cant control what might happen.

She's a gorgeous BC! I work with a guy who has 7 dogs, most rescues, and his wife is a Vet. I'm going to go to his house soon and we're going to set Scarlet up for success to meet him, and one or two of his black Labs in his fenced yard. He knows how to meet new dogs. I have to wait however.. they have worms! yuck! I'm glad he told me! I'm still going with the advice of meeting one person a day, and for VERY short periods of time, like 15 seconds. Her red line is about 30 seconds... so if I stay well under that, I feel I can predict what she's going to do...Hopefully agility training will help with her low self esteem. (that's what I call it instead of fear aggression) I think she just gets too overwhelmed with new peeps..

Now.. About the chasing of the cars. I've been body blocking the view between the car and her with a high value treat. That's been working pretty good, but ya can't walk a dog for very long until there's a car! Tonight we were walking in town, and happened to get on a busy road with a bike way beside it. She lunged out at a car, and it scared me to death! I reacted and grabbed her by the scruff and yelled "NO!" a few times... I felt bad doing that, but after that, when she was starting to stalk the next car, I said, not yelled, but said, "No.." and she ignored it. Now I've replaced that "NO" with "Leave it"... so far (tonight) so good... When she ignored the cars, I gave her lots of praise, and told her good girl, and YES! Is this is something that I just have to stern with her on? It's for her own good, as we all know, but I hate being mean to her at the same time!

She didn't react to ALL cars tonight, just a few. If there's good sniffs to be had, then sniffs trump car.

FWIW, yelling no and a scruff shake is not being mean. It's making a strong point. You didn't beat her or hurt her. You just made it very clear that you. did. not. like. her behavior. You spoke to her in unequivocal terms and she got it. Go after a car could be life or death for Scarlet. I don't think she'll be emotionally scarred by the experience of a tougher than normal correction.

J.

My dog Orbit is not at all reactive to people but he can be to dogs. Not all dogs but some. Initially, like you, I had trouble figuring out what set him off. I have pretty much got it down now: when he is busy (usually chasing a ball) and another dog gets into his running lane or a dog that follows him around very closely near the shoulder or a dog that runs behind him and barks. If any of these triggers are present, the ball goes away and we leave. Unfortunately, Orbit is sometimes punished (the ball game ends) because of what others are doing and what I worry might happen,

Then she barked at the other guy employee for no reason. That's the second time that happened...maybe she just wanted the ball?

I swear that Orbit feels like it is not fair that his game is over even though he was totally minding his own business and will sometimes lash out at the next dog that comes too close (even a dog that was not around when the game ended). Maybe your dog is feeling unsure about a person behaving in a certain way and is anticipating that the other person present may also behave similarly.

I also think that pet stores and not a great place for dogs to meet and greet. I think it is a highly stimulating environement for them (so many smells and sounds and sights - everything there is ment to appeal to dogs). I would imagine that a sensitive dog is over threshold before they have even begun to deal with people.

She's a gorgeous BC! I work with a guy who has 7 dogs, most rescues, and his wife is a Vet. I'm going to go to his house soon and we're going to set Scarlet up for success to meet him, and one or two of his black Labs in his fenced yard. He knows how to meet new dogs. I have to wait however.. they have worms! yuck! I'm glad he told me! I'm still going with the advice of meeting one person a day, and for VERY short periods of time, like 15 seconds. Her red line is about 30 seconds... so if I stay well under that, I feel I can predict what she's going to do...Hopefully agility training will help with her low self esteem. (that's what I call it instead of fear aggression) I think she just gets too overwhelmed with new peeps..

Thank you, she is actually a he :P I know he's pretty :D

The problem with going to this "guys" house is that is he actually a behaviourist ahve you spoken to him about his "methods"? So he has 7 dogs and his wife is a vet but does that actually mean anything? not really unless he is a trained positive behaviourist, well to me it wouldnt but I do understand that you are really trying hard to help and thats great!

Remember that your dog needs to work under threshold, in other words, you need to be far away from the person that she would hardly notice them but is aware they are there but wouldnt cause her any stress (treat treat treat), then you gradually work your way closer (over time). Have you read up on calming signals in dogs? Please google it, they are wonderful for understanding your dogs very slight signals that she is uncomfortable and this is why you might think its zero to nip but actually there are more than likely signals she is giving you (trying to) or the person that she is stressed! I can also refer you to a yahoo group for reactive dogs that has very much helped me with my dog and also there are LOADS of books you can read! Yes agility could help with confidence, my dog excells in agility and has does wonders for his confidence!

Remember anything worthwhile takes time, take it slow with her and remember in behaviour training you will always have good and bad days.

we're going to set Scarlet up for success to meet him, and one or two of his black Labs in his fenced yard.

Black labs might not be the best choice of dog - dogs often react badly to them.

Sometimes it's their boisterous behaviour, sometimes the fact that their facial expressions are difficult for dogs to read.

My first choice would be a single non reactive BC to start with in your case.

What Julie said! What's cruel to a dog is not communicating in a fashion that they can understand. You firmly let her know that it was important to not react that way and it made a positive impression (you got the reslt you needed). The lunging behavior is rude and poses a hazard - you reprimanded her firmly, clearly, and in a timely fashion that she understood.

Kudos!

What Julie said! What's cruel to a dog is not communicating in a fashion that they can understand. You firmly let her know that it was important to not react that way and it made a positive impression (you got the reslt you needed). The lunging behavior is rude and poses a hazard - you reprimanded her firmly, clearly, and in a timely fashion that she understood.

Kudos!

Kudos!

Thanks! I'll keep on the path! She's a great little dog, and she has to stop the chasing of cars!.. Besides.. what's she going to do after she gets one?.. ;)

.. Besides.. what's she going to do after she gets one?.. ;)

She'd be dead.

So, keep doing what you're doing. It's good for her to know it's not just undesirable, it's a huge NO. You have a good heart and you know your dog. This is life or death, and you are teaching her life.

Carry on! :)

~ Gloria

Thanks! I'll keep on the path! She's a great little dog, and she has to stop the chasing of cars!.. Besides.. what's she going to do after she gets one?.. ;)/>

It's a shame you have to throw her in at the deep end with cars though. It would be far better if you could accustom her to them gradually without her getting to the point where she feels the need to lunge.

We had another 2 hour walk yesterday in the park. She did pretty good. I may have found the "silver bullet"... my obedience trainer suggested Kong spray peanut butter to help with loose leash walking. As I walk, she has her mouth and mind on the higher than average treat, and walks with me not pulling. I opted for the low-cost/high value route, and bought cheese whiz from the grocery! Anyway, cheese whiz trumps cars, men jogging, bicycles, and other distractions! 97% of the time! As long as I can foresee the distraction coming and get ready, it works great! Squirrels?... I don't think ANYTHING trumps squirrels! :lol:/> She did bark at man jogging, but he came up on us too quick, and surprised us both.

I took a short video of her when a person passes by on our walks,

Her body language is upbeat, and I think she just wants to sniff.

The baby came over last night for a 5 hour visit. My daughter had some errands to run and left him with us. She did great! We had a Merrick rib bone on hand, a bully stick, and her frozen Kong with peanut butter all ready. When the baby cried, she got a little anxious, but didn't try to nip. I did notice she was yawning a couple times... now I know that's a sign of being unsure or anxiousness, but at least by reading your posts, suggestions and web shares, I recognized it! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been an eye opener to a dog's mind with Scarlet! We were at the vet, and this guy with a small yap dog was just sitting there as his dog barked constantly! Then, of course Scarlet had enough, and SHE started barking. I knew what to do right away, and took her around the corner in the office where she couldn't see the other dog, and ALL the barking stopped!

We went on a walk yesterday, and there was a car coming. I told her to sit-stay. SHE DID! She didn't really think about the car (as far as I could tell!) There was a big pickup truck that peaked her interest, but nothing like what she was doing in the beginning!

So the moral to the story IS patience, and consistency! In just 3 months, she's come a LONG way!

So the moral to the story IS patience, and consistency! In just 3 months, she's come a LONG way!

You've summed it up right there, using the right approach, being patient, and being consistent.

Kudos to you for doing such a good job, and a pet on the head for Scarlet for doing so well with your training!

The vast majority of "dog problems" are really "handler problems" and/or "training problems", aren't they? Once you learn how to understand your dog and how to work with your dog, you are well on the way to solving and/or managing your problems.

You've summed it up right there, using the right approach, being patient, and being consistent.

Kudos to you for doing such a good job, and a pet on the head for Scarlet for doing so well with your training!

The vast majority of "dog problems" are really "handler problems" and/or "training problems", aren't they? Once you learn how to understand your dog and how to work with your dog, you are well on the way to solving and/or managing your problems.

Thanks!!