BC Boards

Nipping the nipping in the bud?

Keeping them separated is challenging in our apt. I've been walking them separately in the mornings and I usually take Annie alone for potty breaks during the day (which also include short walks) and then we walk them together in the evenings. I also keep them separated when there's food involved. Sometimes Tiga does want to play back but I can see the exasperation on his face sometimes too. I'll let them play for a bit but if Annie is not listening or it's gets too rough then I either crate her or take her outside for a walk. She doesn't really respond to correction when she's like that. I either have to go get a treat from the fridge or literally pull her off of him. Sometimes I can use the opportunity to do a little training with them as the cooked chicken hearts make them both focus on me.

Kristen, I was actually repeating that to myself last night when I was walking Annie. "This too shall pass, this too shall pass, breathe!" I will be grateful for a bit of a break and I trust the person she's going with. I just worry about everything. :rolleyes: I know she will get through this and I will miss the puppy stage. She's a bit calmer today. I don't think she was feeling great yesterday (unsuccessful attempt to change food) and when she's not feeling good, it seems she forgets everything she's learned.

I'm not worried about Tiga feeling abandoned as he's going with someone that we lived with before.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gideon was an easy pup, pretty laid back, but Micah is another kettle of fish, a totally wild thing, always hanging off Gideon's face. We had to separate them because Micah was eating so much of Gideon's hair, it was irritating his bowels. Gideon actually got depressed and started moping like he did when our other dog died! Separating didn't work but keeping Micah on a short leash did. And now at 17 wks, he's finally starting to settle down in the house some. I've said "This too shall pass" quite a lot lately, but there is light at the end of the tunnel (or is that a train?).

Well we're back and have the dogs back. They had a great weekend. But I don't think Annie was pretty much allowed to run amok and I"m pretty sure she didn't go into her crate much at all. She didn't want to get in it at all when we got home and she's been pretty whiney and seems to have forgotten everything she knew when we left. :blink: I'm sure things will calm down and I'm happy to be home and back with the dogs.