BC Boards

Tessa's First . . .

Agility Q!!!

And her second, and her third!!! I kind of messed up her fourth, as it happens sometimes.

AllinaDaysWork.jpg

This was her First Q run.

I am gaining confidence (with her) as much as she is. I babysat the weaves way more than I needed to, and I completely mishandled the hoops. I loved the play bows when I had her retry them, though!!

The third set of weaves are true "Tessa Weaves". That dog loves to weave!!

And this is her first Tunneler's run. First time she's ever done a course of just tunnels and she did really well!!

Unfortunately I didn't get a video of the second run but it was even better than the first.

Fourth run, I messed up. It was Touch and Go, and she was doing great, but I accidentally called her off of a tunnel that she was actually supposed to take (I just got confused) and I mishandled the rest of the course.

But it was an incredibly fun trial. I love, love, love, love running Tessa!!

I took Dean along, too. He had fun, which is always my hope with him.

Tessa looks like she's having a blast! Tunnels!! Congratulations to you and Tessa :)

Pure enjoyment of Tunnelers is an extra accomplishment for Tessa because she came here with an absolute terror of being in or under anything. In our Basic and Advanced Basic classes, our instructor would bring out simple "Agility" pieces like the barrel of the chute (no fabric), a plank, a tippy board, a ladder, etc. and we would get a few minutes to let our dogs interact with them. Tessa loved almost all of it instantly. All she needed was one treat for putting a paw on a tippy board, or putting her feet on a plank, or stepping over the ladder, and she seemed to know exactly what she was supposed to do with it. She was happily stepping over, stepping on, tipping, etc., even offering interaction. But not the chute barrel. We baited and waited and baited and waited and it took about a session and a half before she started to offer going through it. I started classes with her last January and she did not run through a full tunnel until July.

But when she got it she got it. By August she was tentatively, but willingly, going through them in sequence.

In December, at her first trial, I was thrilled when she took strange tunnels in a new place with no issue. And now she is just one leg away from a Tunnelers title!! :) For her that's a big accomplishment.

Congratulations! I remember when you got Tessa as a rescue, she knew nothing, but you saw something in her that convinced you that training her was going to be very rewarding. Your patience is so amazing, and I'm glad you're making great progess. Yay Kristine and Tessa!

Those tunnels look like something Kaida would go ape for..she loves the tunnels at our agility class

LOL!! That's exactly what Dean did - he went ape for them!!

I've been working with him for a long, long, long time on enjoying himself in the Agility ring. He went into the ring like "Woooooohoooooooooo - let me at 'em!!" Then he proceeded to go into tunnel la la land!!

Now, I would much rather him be in tunnel la la land than stress-land, but it surprised the heck out of me!! He did better on his second run, actually following the course until I made just one handling mistake and that was the end of it!! I am SO not used to handling him from quite that far away!

I'm thinking that all of those tunnels proved to be just a bit too much excitement for him! He actually has a Tunneler title, but we earned that ages ago when he was still worried about the crowd.

But it was fun. I am really glad he had a good time. He actually spent some time in his crate inside the building and he remained relaxed and happy. As he accompanies Tessa and I to more NADAC trials, I am going to work on that with him more.

Tunnelers is definitely a lot of fun. So is weavers when you have a dog who loves to weave!!

We are still working on weaves..she's got most obstacles down bar those and the teeter..our instructors say we are doing good,I just have to work more on my movements.. I tend to stand/move wrong which sends her in the wrong directions..we are only beginners but we will get there..love seeing you all do so well..inspiring for me :-)

We are still working on weaves..she's got most obstacles down bar those and the teeter..our instructors say we are doing good,I just have to work more on my movements.. I tend to stand/move wrong which sends her in the wrong directions..we are only beginners but we will get there..love seeing you all do so well..inspiring for me :-)

I'm a beginner myself, in a lot of ways. Maddie was velcro - never got more than a few feet away from me. I am often at a loss learning to handle these faster dogs who work at more of a distance!!

I think I will always be learning in this sport.

Archived