BC Boards

Collars/name tags recomendations

It's time to order new collars and plates for the dogs. The current ones are leather which I like but they don't hold up well to all the swimming. Anyone have a collar they like that's strong and durable?

Also currently I have their name/my phone number/and reward offered on their plates. Someone didn't think the reward offered was a good idea or their name. I'm thinking my name and two phone numbers..one mine and one a friend.

What are you all using??

All 3 of mine wear the same tag, red reflective plastic on nylon collars. One side says "If I am loose, I am lost. Please help me get home." The other side says Beth & Alan, then both our cell phone numbers (we don't have a landline), our street address and zip code.

I figure if they get out local they will know where they live and they don;t need to know the dogs names. Plus, its easier to have all dog tags the same.

I use mainly center ring hunt collars with riveted tags. These collars are soft and flexible and easily cleaned if they get dirty. They do not smell when wet. The tags are free when you buy the collar. The center ring stays on top of the dog's neck, which makes for easy one-handed attachment of a leash.

My tags do say both "reward" and "microchipped," along with my name and two phone numbers (mine and a close friend's). If my dog is lost and someone finds it, I figure noting reward will be incentive for the person to call me. Microchipped makes it clear the animal has ID.

The other type of tag I like is the Boomerang tag. I like the kind that can slide onto a collar (the center tag on the homepage). No jangling tags for me!

Another collar I just got and like so far is the Spiffy dog collar: air collar, which is supposed to handle being wet without rotting or stinking. I got one for the pup since all of my hunt collars are too big for her right now. I will use a boomerang tag on this collar.

J.

I use the same type of collars as Julie most of the year, during hunting season we have similar collars in safety orange, the collars we have are 1" thick, which I think are a little heavy, the next ones will be 3/4". They have held up well during the summer when the dogs swim most days they have been great. On the tags we the address, and both our cell phone numbers, I live in town where dogs will be walked home if found so the full address is useful.

I also just heard about these that I will try next because the boomerangs don't fit well on all collars and these are lasered on not etched:

http://www.roadid.com/Catalog.aspx?C=RoadID

These look neat. Unfortunately I don't like wide collars on my dogs, so I use 3/4" collars. Maybe these folks will eventually make a smaller size....

J.

Thanks. I think the ones from gun dog is what I'm looikng for. I need something that can stand up to the elements and not wear out or get stinky.

I always do two phone numbers..one a friend and I do also put reward my thinking being along the same lines as Julies. My friend however doesn't like the idea.

I use the gundog supply collars, I had reward, my name and my cell number (i learned that home numbers get changed but my cell has stayed the same for many years)

I don't put addresses on them as I've moved to much and it's confusing when I have all these collars with new states on them.

Recently my daughter and SIL kept Dew and Mick. they love all kids (the dogs that is) and a weird thing happened. Don't know for sure what the deal was but the direct neighbors to my SIL and DH called me and left a message that he had my dog. I called SIL to see what was going on. He said the young kids across the street had called Mick over to them and their Dad grabbed Micks collar (thank doG Mick is uber friendly) and within minutes had called me, the whole time SIL was outside and could see what was going on. He said he was walking over to collect them but the guy had already called me. Then told SIL what a horrible dog owner he was. SIL didn't know the collars said reward on them. He figures the guy was trying to collect the reward cause he knew where they came from and knew SIL was right there.

I don't know, but I do know SIL collected the dogs said thanks and that was that. But he also thinks the guy was trying to collect on a reward that he didn't really deserve.

I was greatful to know that someone would call me and that the tags did their job but I wonder if anyone sees the "reward" part and takes the dogs just to collect the reward. So on their new collars I didn't put "reward". I just hope I never have to worry about finding them or having someone call again.

Lily my old LGD was adopted out to a family that would let her be a house dog (she didn't want to be an LGD anymore) and twice I got calls from people in the new family's neighborhood that my dog was loose. First time I questioned what dog (all mine where right at my feet) they said a big white dog, then I remembered I sent my collar home with them as they didn't have one.

I called right away worried something had happened, the new owners got her back right away. Then a few weeks later I got another call. This time I started worrying that the new owners were irresponsible...I finally got a hold of them and they appoligized for bothering me. Lily had broke all the collars that they had bought (cheap pet store collars) and mine was the only one that stayed on her so that's why they were using it. And Lil being a good escape artist was working their fence line.

I'm so gald I sent that collar home with them.

Since then they said they have escape proofed their fence and Lil is a happy house dog now!

Not sure about putting reward on collars but I always thought it was a good idea before.

It's time to order new collars and plates for the dogs. The current ones are leather which I like but they don't hold up well to all the swimming. Anyone have a collar they like that's strong and durable?

Also currently I have their name/my phone number/and reward offered on their plates. Someone didn't think the reward offered was a good idea or their name. I'm thinking my name and two phone numbers..one mine and one a friend.

What are you all using??

I have my second name, address, and two phone numbers. I've also heard of people putting 'spayed' or 'neutered' to prevent the dog being robbed for breeding: believe it or not that actually happens around us. 'Allergies' or 'needs medication' gets used for the same thing.

I've also heard that people use the dog's name to call the dog, but I don't put it on because it seems a waste of space in that I can't see how it'll help me get my dog back.

I have boomerang tags, they're good so far. There's also a sugru tag as backup; a hastily-made colourful tag in case someone doesn't notice the tasteful on-collar one.

Check what the legal requirements are where you live.

I use and love boomarang tags. Black Jack kept getting his tags caught in the crate door so now thats all I buy. I have my name, cell number and home number, and address.

I buy hamilton collars. They are great collars and hold up pretty good. You can find them at most tack or western stores. I love Murdochs :)

I have some Dublin Dog collars as well and will say that the stand by their product. When Lark caught her collar going through a gate a speed, it broke, and DD replaced it promptly (I think I had to send a picture). I got some collars back when you could still get the 3/4" (Pip has a couple of 1"). When they stopped carrying the narrower collars, I quit getting them.

Like you said, they're thick. And they're wide, and to me they just didn't look good on small dogs. But they were supple and easy to clean and I liked the designs I had....

J.

Has anyone ever heard of someone putting a warning so to speak on the tags, along the same lines of "needs meds"... but putting "not good with kids" or "not good with dogs",etc.? Whether or not it is true for your dog, I just wondered if this would be something to put on to deter someone from keeping or selling your dog. I also wonder if someone found a dog who legitimately would bite a small kid or another dog or kill a cat, if this information would be helpful and create a better situation for all involved.

Any thoughts?

If we move I definitely want to get a new tag and since Levi has his plastic microchip tag on his collar I was looking for one more thing to add to the tag such as "needs meds" even though he doesn't.

As far as adding "not good with kids/dogs" on the tag you probably wouldnt get anything from it. Most people wouldnt believe it or might even let him go again. I guess adding "needs meds" could help in some cases. Even if they dont return him to you they may take him to a vet to see whats wrong and in turn they may know he is missing. Either way it may help get him back.

Archived