BC Boards

Came close to losing Bandit

Friday, Dec 23 could have been a real tragedy.

I left Bandit at my friend michele's house with her 2 dogs, with access to yard thru Doggy door.

Bandit enjoys going to beach, and hanging out at friend's house with dogs. Both are Britneys.

My friend and I were gone couple of hours.

5 minutes before arriving to the house, my friend Michele got a call from neighbor kid, saying dogs had escaped from yard.

Girl said Bandit was on Shore drive running loose. (Shore drive is one of the most dangerous roads in the area)

I thought I would die hearing Bandit was loose on Shore drive. I jumped in my car and was on shore drive in a matter of minutes. I could not believe my eyes, Bandit was still alive running scared on the sidewalk.

I slamed on my brakes, yelled Bandit to stay, Jumped out of the car, swooped Bandit up in my arms, put him in car.

Bandit and I were both in shock the rest of the day. He sleeped as soon as I got him home most of the time.

Ironicly, I adopted Bandit on Thanksgiving day, and could have lost him 6yrs later, 2 days before Christmas!

Whew! Sometimes stuff just happens. Thank goodness he heard you and obeyed your "stay" command. I think I could count on the "lie down" command in that kind of circumstance, but you never know. Your friend's Brittanies were OK too?

Friend's brittanies were still in the yard as it turns out. Not sure if they ever got out, or went back on their own.

Bandit had broken thru 2 boards in privacy fence. He was barking as Michele and I was driving off in her Suv.

He has always loved hanging out with 2 Brittanies. I thought his separation anxiety for me had gotten much better.

Neighborhood girl told Michele, Bandit was sitting in front of House after breaking out. It's when she tried to catch him, is when he almost nipped her and ran away! I believe she must have chased after him, cause she knew he was on Shore drive.

Acording to police officer michele spoke to, he saw Bandit running on Shore Drive 45 minutes earlier.

How scary and glad it turned out ok for you!

I came home home one day and Spur was laying in a yard (tongue hanging out, exhausted) on the corner of my street and another very busy street. I had no idea he was out and I don't know where all he had been but I opened the door and he was so happy to see me he came running. Scared me to death.

So happy everything turn out ok!

But that's why I don't ever leave my dogs outside when I am gone. Specially with troy. That boy can jump over anything if he really wanted to. And I have had too many incident of people teasing my dogs(when I am home) that I wouldn't trust it. We live in a nicer neighborhood but I still don't trust it.

We had an Irish Setter when I was a kid that jumped the fence, was hit by a car, and she jumped back over the fence with a broken leg and bruised rib to come to the back door. She knew she wasn't supposed to be out! (She survived her injuries and never jumped the fence again.)

We had an Irish Setter when I was a kid that jumped the fence, was hit by a car, and she jumped back over the fence with a broken leg and bruised rib to come to the back door. She knew she wasn't supposed to be out! (She survived her injuries and never jumped the fence again.)

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I had thought I could never leave Bandit at friends house again. If I ever did, It would only be if the dogs did not have access to the yard.

When I was about 9yrs old I saw our dog, named Lady, hit and killed by a car. I had crossed the street, my mother and siblings remained with my dog Lady. Lady broke loose and was running to me when she got hit and killed. I was young, but never forgot it.

Archived