BC Boards

What are the symptoms of CEA?

Tommy Coyote

My new rescue dog, Zeke, really doesn't like to go out at night. And it seems to just be the back yard which is very dark at night. He's fine in the front that is lit up by street lights. And he's fine during the day. He can spot as squirrel in a tree half a block away so he sees pretty well.

I just got to thinking that he may have trouble seeing in the dark. Or he might just not like the dark. PRA manifests as night blindness but I just wondered if there were any particular symptoms of CEA.

I'll have the vet look at him next time we are up there.

I forgot about a friend's Lassie that had CEA many years ago. I don't remember her saying anything about Deja not wanting to go out in the dark. this dog had colobomas (retinal tears that created blind spots) so was a pretty severe case of CEA. It is not that uncommon for some bC's to not want to go out at night (most seem to have mental problems).

I had a dog in for training many years ago that started having trouble in low light conditions-took him to K State for an eye exam and he had PRA, but I don't remember him having any problems going out at night. It is allso possible Zeke could have cateracts although he is not that old juvenile cateracts do occure.

It is not that uncommon for some bC's to not want to go out at night (most seem to have mental problems).

Excuse me? "most (BCs) seem to have mental problems"????

nancy

Hello everyone,

During the fifteen years that I did rescue, I had an owner relinquished dog that was seriously affected by CEA (a nine month old puppy). His vision was greatly impacted by the disease, but in a rather bizarre way. This dog could not see straight ahead, but he did have minimal peripheral vision. He could run along a fence, as his peripheral vision allowed him to see the fence as he ran beside it. But, if there was a tree directly ahead of him, he would crash right into it. When I called him from a distance, he would scan the yard with a back and forth head motion to locate me, much like someone with a radio tracking device scanning for a radio signal from a collar on wildlife. His former owners thought that he was the clumsiest puppy that they had even seen, not realizing that the pup had such limited vision. What a shame...

Regards,

nancy

His owner may have mental problems but I don't think he does. He is remakably stable and even tempered.

He doesn't run into things. And he leaps on and off the bed with no hesitation so I don't think he has depth perception problems. And his eyes are clear and bright - and full of it. He really likes to get into stuff. Loves squeaky toys. Is very active and alert. And he loves to watch out the window - will just sit and watch the world go by.

He just doesn't like to go out in the back yard at night. I'm probably worrying about nothing.

The dogs that do not want to go out at night tend to have mental problems from the ones I've worked with. Often these dogs have been either poorly bred or poorly raised or both-I've spent much of the past 30 years working with behaviour problems. But then come to think of it many BC's have mental problems.

Quirky. One of the really fun things about border collies is that they tend to be quirky.

Strongly individualistic.

Their strongly individualistic and quirky nature makes them endlessly entertaining.

Except when the repeated quirkiness becomes irritating - usually only when I'm tired. And that is what crates are for.

The dogs that do not want to go out at night tend to have mental problems from the ones I've worked with. Often these dogs have been either poorly bred or poorly raised or both-I've spent much of the past 30 years working with behaviour problems. But then come to think of it many BC's have mental problems.

Several years ago I took one of my BC's to a vet.opthamologist. If I'm remembering correctly, was told that not wanting to go out at night is one of the things a dog might exibit if it is losing it's eyesight.

Janet

Hello everyone,

But then come to think of it many BC's have mental problems.

Once again, Excuse me????

"Many BCs have mental problems"?????

I am so glad that in the more than 40 years that I have known hundreds of Border Collies, I have come to a very different conclusion!!!

Regards,

nancy

Several years ago I took one of my BC's to a vet.opthamologist. If I'm remembering correctly, was told that not wanting to go out at night is one of the things a dog might exibit if it is losing it's eyesight.

Janet

I read that night blindness is one of the first signs of PRA. Dogs don't want to go out or they stay in lighted areas of the yard. And they bump into things. PRA affects the rods in the eyes first and then slowly the cones are also destroyed. That's the reason I was kind of concerned about Zeke. I've never had a dog with either PRA or CEA so this has been kind of a learning experience for me. I really think he is OK but I'm watching. I need to take him up to meet my vet anyway and I'll have him check the retinas in his eyes while I'm there.

Mary

Archived