BC Boards

Applying to rescue

This is a sweet faced boy from Mid Atlantic Border Collie Rescue (at the link below).

It's killin' me!

Browsing for available dogs makes me wish I were ready to take on an additional dog. But an honest assessment of my situation keeps 'now' from being ideal.

http://www.petfinder...detail/19711452

I am not ready now but I do plan on getting another dog at some point. I think Hannah would like that as well.

I am wondering from the Border Collie rescue folks if you think it is too soon to put in my application, even if I wouldn't be ready for a dog at the time of approval (or probably for six months or so).

How long in advance should I put in the application? I know home visits and such take a while, due to scheduling. Any thoughts on this?

Based on what I know about Mid-Atlantic, I would say put in the application as soon as possible. Let them know your possible timeframe. If it's too soon, they will tell you, but at least you will have started the process.

Another rescue you might want to consider is Glen Highland Farm. It's a bit of a drive from Maryland, but they do adopt to Maryland. If interested, I would say the same thing - apply now, let them know your possible timeframe, and go from there.

I would say it depends. If you're going to be moving within the next 6 months or so, I say wait until after the move. If you aren't, I would say go ahead and fill out the application and get your home visit done but let them know it's going to be a few months before you will be ready to adopt. When you are ready to adopt, you should contact the rescue vs. expecting the rescue to contact you. Remind them you filled out your application on --/--/--, your home visit was done on --/--/-- by ________ and you are interested in (insert dog's name here).

Thank you for considering a rescue!

Terrecar-

I would contact someone at Mid-Atlantic with your question. Each rescue is different - different policies, volunteer man-hours, etc.

I volunteer with Blue Ridge Border Collie Rescue, and I have seen that everyone tries to facilitate adoptions - reviewing adoption applications rapidly and trying to find someone to do the home visit within a couple of weeks after approving the adoption application. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that BRBCR will keep you 'approved' for about 6 months after a successful home visit.

It is definitely worthwhile to find out who in the organization knows the most about which dogs are coming in and to let them know the type of dog you are interested in. Don't wait for it to show up on their website. And stay in contact (not every week, but maybe once a month or so) so that the rescue organization knows that you are serious about adopting. It would also be polite to let them know if you have found another dog somewhere else and no longer need their service.

Good Luck with your search - and he sounds like a neat boy!

Jovi

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. Thanks for the link to Glen Highland Farm, RootBeer. That is a nice rescue. NY isn't so far. I have driven to CT twice in my life to pick up a dog; a Smooth Fox Terrier when I was in my teens and a Dachshund years later.

Mid Atlantic Border Collie Rescue is where I got my Danny. :D I believe Sarah (the owner) has that special knack of placing the dogs in their perfect forever homes.

We got our second BC from MABCR and I can't say enough about Sarah and her organization. She gets to know her dogs very well. I agree you should contact her directly with your question. She's known to lurk here from time to time so you may hear from her anyway.

Congrats on thinking of a rescue. I just wanted to add a note about most of the people running rescues. We got our Cody from South East Border Collie rescue. Jerri's ability to know her dogs and read the dog we already had is amazing. To me, this ability to match is one of the strongest assets of a good rescue. Good luck in your search.

Archived