BC Boards

Playing With Other Dogs

After the initial 8 weeks of sibling socialization, is it better for my BC/Aussie mix to have other dogs to play with? I've taken her to a dog daycare just for this purpose, but she mostly just "hangs out" when there are multiple dogs. I get the sense that she does not like to play with groups of dogs, but would prefer a one-on-one playmate. I don't trust dog parks much because the environment is not controlled in terms of introductions and sheer numbers. Perhaps I'm overprotective in that regard, but that is my comfort level and I'm sticking to it.

I am renting an 8 acre, fenced lure coursing field (an hour at a time) from a Borzoi breeder aquaintance for off-leash training and frisbee fun, and I've wondered if I should try to set up a small play group using this field as well. I've done a lot of training with a check-cord in an unfenced field, so even in this fenced field, my dog tends to hang fairly close to me. She will venture out the length of maybe two (square) acres or so, but if I begin to walk away too far she will come 'get' me. So, with that sort of focus on me, I wonder if I am not short-changing her by allowing myself to be her only entertainment and focus.

My experience with prior dogs over the (almost 50) years I've had them has been that the hounds very much enjoyed being in groups, but the terriers were not trustworthy in groups at all (since they considered bloodletting a sport). My German Shepherd enjoyed playing with one dog--I fostered a couple, but only one at a time--however I wouldn't have put her in a group.

I am not ready for another puppy, and I will probably go with an adult BC from rescue when and if I'm ready to take on an additional dog. So for the time being, Hannah is an only dog. I work from home except for some limited on-site consulting, so I spend a good deal of time with her.

What do you think? Is it okay for a BC (or BC mix) to be without playmates? How social are Border Collies in general?

Hi there ~

I think it's good for a young dog to get out among other dogs (in safe, controlled situations) so as to learn proper socialization. But as for BCs needing or wanting play pals ... I guess it depends on the dog. I've known some BCs who are quite happy being an "only child," but when they do make particular friends, they love to spend time with them. That actually seems the usual way, with my dogs and those of my friends. They have a close circle of friends they see periodically, and that makes them happy. :)

They can be a bit breed-snobbish, sometimes, and may decide there are breeds they prefer over others. For example, some BCs don't like labs or the bully breeds because they're way too forward and in-your-face. So, that would be something to watch for, when introducing your pup to prospective friends. Pay attention to whether there are types of dogs that make him uneasy.

If your pup is still quite young, have you looked into puppy classes in your area? That can be a nice way for a youngster to meet others and learn his social skills. :)

~ Gloria

I've noticed some BCs won't play very much with other dogs, especially strange ones. They're often content to just hang out or play ball or something. I don't think as a breed they're the most social dogs. They get along fine with other dogs that don't intrude into their space continuously and usually they'll just ignore other dogs for the most part.

Some will play with dogs they know well, some are just more focused on their people and want their people to get them to do something like frisbee or ball. Most of my friends' dogs will ignore other dogs in a park situation and will not try to approach them on their own.

I agree with puppy class or socialization class! It's a great place to meet other dogs and socialize and the situation won't get out of hand like the dog park since most of the time the dogs are leashed or at least under control.

I like the idea of a socialization class. Thank you for that suggestion. I am sure I can find one that is suitable. The facility where we do obedience class has a number of different types of classes, including agility, rally-0, et. al, so I'd wager they also have socialization classes. This is her second round of beginner obedience because I want to work with her around other dogs. The instructor complimented her on her 'focus', so it can't be a bad thing. I guess I'm just feeling a little guilty about her being an only dog, but it is so nice to be able to take her everywhere with me to get her socialized to different environments and people. It's a lot easier to do that with just one dog.

Don't feel guilty - she has a person all to herself almost all the time! Most working breeds would prefer doing something with their person to playing with another dog :) my two play a little with each other but when given the choice they'll pick playing/training with of over playing with each other

Meg goes to day camp and the dog park.

At the dog park, she wants to say hello (greet and sniff) to each and every dog but she has yet to really play with any dog there. Mostly she just says hi to all the dogs, then goes off on her own and sniffs around, then brings me a ball to throw.

At day camp, I can watch her interactions with other dogs when I'm not around (via webcam). She does the same "must greet everyone". She runs around like crazy and will watch the other dogs play from a distance, but she only joins in occasionally. She has a few day camp regulars that are her friends that she prefers to play with. She's not usually fond of the smaller dogs and avoids them. She also seems to avoid dogs with funny 'haircuts' or an abundance of fur (like poodles, really hairy beardies, newfies, etc). I think maybe she has trouble reading their body language so puts them in the 'somewhat scary, stay away from them' class. We met a dog with a lion cut ('mane' with shaved body) once and she hid behind me and barked/growled.

I think its good for a young dog to meet new dogs, but they don't necessarily have to play with everyone to learn social skills and how to get along.

Well supervised play groups are a good idea, but as other posters have said, border collies tend to want to do stuff with their humans rather than play with other dogs.

My late Samantha and Buzz would wrestle with each other freely when they were young and frisky, but not engage with other dogs when at the park. They were focused on me or whoever would throw the ball for them

Gibbs likes to go to an informal doggy play group, with great owners and dogs. But, as someone else said, he says hi to the dogs and then focuses on me and the frisbee.

Ruth

I have 3 border collies and NONE of them want anything to do with the others..granted they were not raised together, but I find it interesting that none of them really seem to care about the others. All three are VERY obsessed with me and either spend there time following me around waiting for the next activity or lie in there own private area. In fact, my husband and I joke that each one has a scheming plot going to take out the others so they can be the only dog ;) LOL!!

They are ALL VERY business like dogs!! They act like "playing" is so beneath them..total snobs :D I've taken them to dog parks and they just completely ignore other dogs and there attempts to interact with my dogs...I swear the other dogs are like.."Who brought the WEIRDOS!!!"

I wish that they would play together sometimes, I think those are my own emotions coming into the equation though. Thinking that they would be happier by getting to frolick and romp with eachother, because that's what I think would make them happy. But in all honesty they really are probably %100 happy and fullfilled not doing so :)

Archived