BC Boards

Help. Dog licking one spot.

Tommy Coyote

You could call your vet and ask what kind of topical anti-itch cream might be safe, in case that's what's causing the problem.

Alternatively, we had good luck with our dog cutting off the toe of an old sock and using it as a temporary sleeve over the problem area, using tape around it to help secure. The tape was bound around the sock, not attached to his fur, and of course you want to make sure it's tight enough to stay on but not too tight to reduce circulation.

I bought some spray from Equyss at the local Agway, it is non-toxic, it says you can use it on cats also, it temporarily stops the itch. We are having a bad run of fleas with all of the wet weather, I dosed dogs and cats the first of the month with Advantix, Advantage, and for the extra sensitive kitties, Revolution, and they have all been scratching for weeks. My cats are scabby and look moth-eaten and the dogs hate the spray, but it gives them some relief.

You know those unsightly elbow spots that dog's get from laying on the floor? The vet told me to use bag balm. I've been putting that on Sammy since it's all I have right now. Seems better this morning. The hair is all dry and you can't even tell he's been messing with it. But he will probably start licking it again this morning.

I wondejr if's doing that because the owner is gone? Nervous thing?

I wondejr if's doing that because the owner is gone? Nervous thing?

Could easily be, my friends Labrador made a huge hole in his tail when they went away, the dogs were home with a house sitter. Or he could be like my late Bandit who randomly would start working a spot on his leg, sometimes a year would go by between sessions but once a worry spot was started it was hard to stop.

Archived