BC Boards

Adopting a Dog

(Reposted, cause I originally posted it in the wrong place)

FIrst, I want to thank all of those who suggested throughout the forums that Border Collie rescue is the way to go. I recently started looking for a new dog, and although my prior two were both adult adoptions I was thinking about getting a puppy this time. Reading through these boards it became pretty clear to me that the Border Collie bad breeder situation is pretty horrendous, and that there are way too many dogs out there in need of a good home. So I read through the advice you all had in finding a rescue organization and have began talking to a local organization here in Texas.

Second, I want to seek some more advice. A little bit of background, I have never owned a BC before, but I have owned two active dog breeds before (Husky, Vizsla) so I have experience with high energy dogs, just not BCs. I am a one dog at a time kinda person, so I want to make sure that I get the right dog so that we both end up happy. I am mostly looking to adopt a young dog 10 to 18 months. I think, pretty soon, I am going to meet a potential dog. What should I look for/do in the first meeting?

Hi, John-

I'm not in rescue per se, but do volunteer at my local SPCA, introducing potential adopters to potential adoptees.

First off, thank you for looking into rescue. You are so right that there are way too many dogs out there in need of homes. You will be saving a life.

The age you're looking for is very typical of the age range of the dogs who end up at the SPCA...it's right when the dog loses its puppy cuteness but not all of its puppy behavior. The "adolescent" stage can be frustrating but worth waiting out!

In terms of what to look for / expect: depends a lot on the dog and its current environment. If you're meeting the dog in a shelter or other highly distracting environment, you may not experience much of its typical behavior. If you're in a quieter environment, take note of how the dog reacts to you, to toys, to other dogs who may be around and to treats; all of these will give you some indication of future behavior. Oftentimes adopters will just know when they've found the right dog; and the dog will give you a good indication if they have that feeling too. It gives me chills when I see that happen! Here's an example: http://www.facebook.com/SPCAwake?ref=ts#!/photo.php?fbid=10150233513361186&set=a.10150232881006186.326022.58581831185&type=1&theater

I don't know if I've been helpful or not, but I thank you again for rescuing, and enjoy searching for your new dog!

Second, I want to seek some more advice. A little bit of background, I have never owned a BC before, but I have owned two active dog breeds before (Husky, Vizsla) so I have experience with high energy dogs, just not BCs. I am a one dog at a time kinda person, so I want to make sure that I get the right dog so that we both end up happy. I am mostly looking to adopt a young dog 10 to 18 months. I think, pretty soon, I am going to meet a potential dog. What should I look for/do in the first meeting?[/size][/color]

Hello! How awesome is it that you are looking into rescue and that you are putting so much thought into what you are looking for?

OK, well, as a person who has owned a couple of huskies and an athletic Golden retriever, I can tell you that a Border Collie is different...its not just about the energy level. Because they were bred for certain traits for so many generations, they are very different than other breeds. They have a totally different personality and training style.

When looking for a dog, its helpful to know what you want in your dog. Why is it you want a Border Collie? Are you looking for a companion? Are you interested in working livestock or doing dog sports? Do you haver kids or other pets at home now? These are the things you want to know when looking, as a person with young children, several cats who is looking for a companion might want a different kind of dog than someone who wanted to do agility and lives alone.

You've owned a Vizsla -- I'd take a BC over the Vizsla energy any day. :P You'll be just fine. lol Kudos to you for going through rescue!

I think you either click with a dog or you don't. If you don't feel it, don't feel pressured to take that dog home. Wait for the right one -- With all the dogs who have gone through rescue in TX lately, I'm sure it won't take long to find a great dog for your family.

I agree with Karissa,

You probably just click with the one. But it's helpful to the folks in rescue if you can tell them what your expectations are--wants, needs, would-like-but-don't-have-to-haves--because of course they will be most familiar with the dogs in their care and the more they know about you, the easieer it will be for them to find potential matches.

That said, don't rule out anything. If a particular dog meets, say, your activity criteria, then go ahead and meet the dog. Or if you see a dog on their site that appeals to you, ask about it. And remember that many dogs don't act exactly as they will once they've settled in to their new home. So don't assume that what you see is exactly what you'll get. This is especially true for dogs that might not be in a foster situation.

For example, my 14-y.o. "didn't play with toys." I think it was just the situation in her foster home, being in rescue in the first place, being a rather shy dog. She turned out to be a ball and frisbee fiend. And she also started me on my journey into the world of stockdogs. When I went looking, I just told the rescue about myself and what my basic criteria were and then they matched me up with Willow. It worked out great!

Good luck. There was an entire mill situation taken in by one of the Texas rescues, with a lot of outside help. I imagine there are plenty of dogs available for adoption that meet your criteria.

J.

I agree you either click with a dog or you don't, or at least that was the way it was with my prior two. I guess I am more interested in things I should be aware of/look for in adopting a younger dog in particular (never had a dog under 3 years old before) and anything BC specific I should be looking for/at as I am not as familiar with the breed.

My last two dogs were great, especially the Vizsla. In fact the Vizsla was so spectacular I am not sure I could have another one for quite some time, it would be just a bit too familiar. So I decided to get a dog with the same kind of activity profile and affectionate nature but who might be a bit different. My past two dogs never liked going to the dog park, playing frisbee, etc. or doing mental exercise (i.e. tricks etc.) they were mainly long distance hiking/running buddies. This led me to the BC, the right size, temperament, and if I find the right one sure to enjoy those things I didn't do with my previous two.

I have already had some productive conversations with a local rescue, and they have my application complete with the things I am looking for, I just wanted to make sure that I make as informed a decision as possible here in the next month or so. I decided to go thru a rescue organization as opposed to looking in the Shelter as they have then already vetted the dog, and can give a much more clear sense of the dog's personality (plus more accurately test for being good with cats-a critical piece for me).

Good luck. There was an entire mill situation taken in by one of the Texas rescues, with a lot of outside help. I imagine there are plenty of dogs available for adoption that meet your criteria.

Indeed I am. Reading about all the recent Texas situations made me sick. I felt a bit responsible since they are here in "my backyard" and thought, no way I can buy a puppy given how many of these dogs need homes.

sounds like you are on the right track. I have a rescue that when I saw her, I feel in love on the spot and we truly clicked. her foster mom brought her by and did a home visit and she instantly clicked with my other BC and my husband. She had not been getting along much with other dogs before that. She has brought much joy. Good

luck to you!

You are definitely on the right track, and it sounds to me as though you will do fine. Barring the existence of red flags that cause you to think you should not get a particular dog, take home the dog you like the best; and/or the one who "speaks" to you.

And keep in mind it may not be the dog you thought you wanted......

The day I met Jester, I went to a BC Rescue event where there were lots of dogs. I was intent on a female and had talked on the phone with the foster person about a female she had, but she had told me she had a male she thought I should strongly consider instead. I met the dog and immediately liked him but couldn't make up my mind about him until the very end of the day. And then, the words "I'm taking this one home" just came out of my mouth without my intending to say them. At first I was afraid I had made a mistake. Eight years later, Jester is still my magnificent dog, my pride and joy, and my loyal and dependable companion. I think sometimes even if you think you are not sure, something steps in to give you a nudge, and you will get the right dog for you.

I sure wish you all the best of luck!

D'Elle

Well, I got my first border collie (Daisy, the dog in my avatar) when she showed up on my doorstep. I didn't even know I wanted a DOG! So I'm no one to give advice. Just wanted to wish you the best luck in your search! And also to say how much I enjoy the "finding my dog -- or my dog finding me" stories this kind of thread evokes. :D

yes, do stay open minded and wait for the click! i went to rescue looking for a young male, black and white or red and white smooth coat with prick ears. it was to be my agility dog. the dog i fell for is a tri colored, semi smooth, female-tho she does have prick ears! she's making a wonderful agility prospect.

Archived