BC Boards

No more Nike shoes for me

I just saw that on the news.

I like Nike shoes, too.l But I sure am not buying any more.

I did see where Vick's old place was purchased by a dog rescue group and all the dogs going there now are rescues who will have a good home. They did in honor of all the dogs who were so mistreated and killed there. That,s kind of neat idea.

Thankfully, I've never like Nike shoes! Consumers have clout - if Nike's sales fall off because of Vick's endorsements - he won't get renewed. Unfortunately, I suspect Nike already knows that most of their customers don't really care about what Vick did :(

So everyone needs to tell Nike they made the wrong decision. I just got the number and I intend to.

Nike, Inc. Corporate Information

1 800 344 6453

7am - 4pm PT, Monday - Friday

www.nikebiz.com

Corporate Mailing Address (Not for product returns)

Nike USA Inc.

Consumer Services

One Bowerman Drive

Beaverton, OR 97005-6453

I am anti-Nike too. Not only Michael Vick, but Tiger Woods too.

I don't buy Nike shoes or clothes - even though some of their athletic shirts and shorts are to my liking.

Vaporflowers (Jen) - have you tried some of the Merrill shoes? They do not have street running shoes (at least I don't think so), but I usually buy trail running shoes or light hikers. I keep trying other brands, but continually return to the Merrills. They feel comfortable from the first, no break-in period needed.

Jovi

Nike lost me a couple of decades ago. Michael Vick's crimes were horrible - those poor dogs! - but IMO he's the perfect spokesman for their company. These are the people who brought you soccer balls put together by child labor - 9-year-olds have small hands, and orphans off the streets of Pakistan/India have no recourse when they are warehoused, put to work like battery hens, and given just enough food to insure that they will keep working. When they got too big they got booted back out on the street. They stopped with the kids; it all came out in a big scandal. But their labor practices still suck.

ETA: for those of you who don't want to take my word for it, there is this from Wikipedia-

Nike has been criticized for contracting with factories (known as Nike sweatshops) in countries such as China, Vietnam, Indonesia and Mexico. Vietnam Labor Watch, an activist group, has documented that factories contracted by Nike have violated minimum wage and overtime laws in Vietnam as late as 1996, although Nike claims that this practice has been halted.[25] The company has been subject to much critical coverage of the often poor working conditions and exploitation of cheap overseas labor employed in the free trade zones where their goods are typically manufactured. Sources of this criticism include Naomi Klein's book No Logo and Michael Moore's documentaries.

During the 1990s, Nike faced criticism for use of child labor in Cambodia and Pakistan in factories it contracted to manufacture soccer balls. Although Nike took action to curb or at least reduce the practice of child labor, they continue to contract their production to companies that operate in areas where inadequate regulation and monitoring make it hard to ensure that child labor is not being used.[26]

In 2001, a BBC documentary uncovered occurrences of child labor and poor working conditions in a Cambodian factory used by Nike.[27] In the documentary, six girls were focused on, all of whom worked seven days a week, often 16 hours a day.

Campaigns have been taken up by many colleges and universities, especially anti-globalisation groups as well as several anti-sweatshop groups such as the United Students Against Sweatshops.[28] Despite these campaigns, however, Nike's annual revenues have increased from US$6.4 billion in 1996 to nearly US$17 billion in 2007, according to the company's annual reports.

A July 2008 investigation by Australian Channel 7 News found a large number of cases involving forced labour in one of the biggest Nike apparel factories. The factory located in Malaysia was filmed by an undercover crew who found instances of squalid living conditions and forced labour. Nike have since stated that they will take corrective action to ensure the continued abuse does not occur.[29]

Nike also caused controversy during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China, when their sponsored Chinese athlete, Liu Xiang, withdrew from the Olympic 110 metre hurdles, leaving the track after a false start by another competitor. Liu claimed that he withdrew due an ankle injury.[30] However, an anonymous message was posted on the internet, purportedly from a source close to Nike, claiming that the corporation had forced Liu to withdraw as he was unlikely to win, thereby tarnishing their image. Nike responded by announcing that "we have immediately asked relevant [Chinese] government departments to investigate those that started the rumour".[

• 4 weeks later...

Vaporflowers (Jen) - have you tried some of the Merrill shoes? They do not have street running shoes (at least I don't think so), but I usually buy trail running shoes or light hikers. I keep trying other brands, but continually return to the Merrills. They feel comfortable from the first, no break-in period needed.

Jovi

One of my co-workers LOVES her Merrills. They hold up well and keep her feet dry when we're working in the rain... I may have to give them a try.

Well, this sucks.

I LOVE Nike gear. :/ Their dri-fit technology is great for running in and their sports bras are super comfortable. Plus about 80 percent of our sales at work is because of Nike (I live about 20 minutes away from their headquarters).

Oh well, Asics and Under Armour works just as well. :)

Archived