BC Boards

woohoo! (agility trill)

what happens when your dog hasn't competed in over a year and very minimum training??? Troy had his first trial in over a year. He did AWESOME! He even got a Q. He wasn't stressing and was focus and ready for his first jump or tunnels. We would of gotten our standard title but he drop a bar. His tables are to die for. He jumps into a down. His contacts were really nice too. He had no issue with sending and rearing tunnels. Jumpers on the other hand... he didn't have. He knocked 3 bars and ran around a couple jumps and forgot how to weave, so I pulled him the first day. But he was willing to run the whole course with me and the weaves I was putting to much pressure and letting him have space. second day he ran around another jump but nailed his weaves and then he decided that the serpatine was really a threadle... whoops. We also seem to loose connection on jumpers that and his start stays are slipping. But over all I am so happy with how he was running and handling everything! He doesn't have the work drive I am use to but I actually enjoy that about him. He is there to have fun WITH me. Oh and never Never NEVER have him run seconds after his cousin/pack/alfa leader yhas ran. His cousin screams on his runs and his scream put troy over the edge.

Cressa also had a GREAT weekend. She went to a usdaa northeastern regionals. In teams she brought her team to 4th place and was the MOST VALUED PLAYER for 16p. She got two 1st(in jumpers and standard) and 2nd placed(in snooker and gamblers). Am so proud of her. Denise is an awesome handler for her!

Yup! I do think he needed that year off and with his balls getting chop... err him getting neuter helped even more!

I was also using his thunder shirt which seem to help also. Did I mention he use to stress at trials and would work himself up? LOL

I was also using his thunder shirt which seem to help also. Did I mention he use to stress at trials and would work himself up? LOL

Interesting idea! I never thought of using a thunder shirt for agility. Seek shakes uncontrollably when we arrive to agility because she is so excited.

The problem is that I teach the pre-agility class for an hour before she even gets to run. I've tried showing up early to give her a few course runs and trying to settle her back in the car. Doesn't work so well. I am going to get the thunder shirt! :D

Congratulations with Troy! It's amazing how if you give them some time off, they usually come back better and had time to think and process. Sounds like you did great and you recognized your handler errors! Weaves after a year of no agility, WOW! B) Great Job with Cressa as well!

Lol troy got his thunder shirt because of trials. Once he works himself up he can't focus and can't hold still and that whining... shudder

It doesn't fix his stress it does seem to make it more managable. I did notice a difference on the last day when he didn't wear his shirt. He was more whining and less focus. Also another thing he would work himself up that he couldn't even calm himself in the kennel. He wouldn't touch a kong, bone, nothing. This time with the shirt he had no issue with eating a kong in the kennel.

Same thing with Cressa. At nationals she was totally over the edge. And actually try to nip a person running past. Her eyes were glazed over and everthing. Put the shirt on her and she relaxed. She even ignored kids rushing past and a walker. And she seem to have an easier time settling down.

The shirt doesn't fix the problem just takes that edge off. Lol I love the thunder shirt!

Archived