BC Boards

How to Start Training for Agility

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to start training for agility? Do you just run courses on leash and go from there? Do you teach each obstacle individually? Any pointers to good links would be appreciated. Thanks!

How old is your dog? If still somewhat young, you do not want to do a lot of jumping with him/her. BUT you can still start training for agility with groundwork exercises. You may want to invest in a DVD(s) that instructs on the Foundations of Agility. I can not think of any specific titles off the top of my head, but I am sure others can give you good guidance. Clean Run has a very good selection of foundation DVDs and books.

IMHO, agility is 80-90% handling and 10-20% obstacles. Most dogs learn obstacles very easily. Getting them to follow a specific path from one obstacle to the next, when running, is the challenge.

Jovi

I would really suggest classes - there is a lot to learn in agility, and most of it is the handler learning, not the dog. I can say this because my dog Seelie and I suck at agility and 90% of it is that I am an idiot.

For training the dog, a lot of it is back-chaining. For example, you want the dog to clamber over the a-frame, but there are rules. The dog has to touch in the yellow contact zone on the way down or you are disqualified. (This rule exists for safety, as dogs bounding off obstacles or exiting them in an uncontrolled manner are likely to be hurt.) Dogs are naturally inclined to simply bound off the thing well above the yellow contact zone. So, usually, you first teach the dog to come off the end of a board or something while getting some feet in that yellow zone, then, when the dog is really accustomed to touching in that yellow zone, you send them over the obstacle and bait them, over and over, to hit that zone. However, if you just send the dog over the a-frame, he'll bound off way above the yellow zone and that behavior will be set and difficult to retrain. Classes will guide you how to introduce obstacles to your dog in a way where he doesn't get hurt or get started off on the wrong path.

There are also a lot of things you can learn in classes, like circle work, how to rev up and calm down your dog, the rules, the different venues, how to be safe and not injure your dog, and such.

For a rough outline of how I would go about it (and remember I suck at agility, so take it with a grain of salt) I would teach 2 on 2 off on pretty much any change of surfaces (carpet to linoleum, concrete to grass, off a curb, etc). I would also make some jumps out of pvc and learn to direct the dog around and through them so that the dog would know when I wanted it to collect, turn, extend or wrap. I would do circle work so the dog learned to pace with me. I would make some weave poles and look up ways of teaching weaves on the web and teach those and practice them a little bit every day. I would teach the dog tricks and games to make him aware of his back feet and what he is doing with them. And, I would sign up for classes. (Not to beat that to death) All of this assumes the dog is full-grown and safe to jump and weave.

Pretty much any healthy dog can jump over or climb over the various obstacles in and agility course with very little training. Where the training comes in is in doing it in a controlled, safe, and efficient manner. Clean Run is a magazine that has exercises for different levels, also they have training videos and whatnot. Weavepoles.com have DIY agility equipment and supplies.

But, take a class.

i agree with jovi. first you must do groundwork. teach the dog to follow your hands. both hands, both sides. put the dog on a stay, walk away about 5-10 ft. hold a treat at your pants seam on either side and call the dog. do this on both sides and from different distances and positions. you can also stand in one place with your dog and let them shadow your hand- kinda leading them in crazy eights and such, with treats. teach the dog when your hand moves away from your body so does the dog, when your hand is close to your body so is the dog. it all sounds so easy, but it's not always. that's why a class, or if not possible, a dvd is so important. as my teacher says: you're drawing a path with your hands to show the dog, don't let your body language and your verbal cues clash. and that is very hard to learn without someone watching and preferably video taping. after the groundwork is fairly solid you can add a low jump. then it's on to madness!!

I would highly recommend classes, agility is a much more complex sport than it first appears. If you have seen the link to video I posted of Rievaulxs first trial, on the same youtube channel you can see videos of my first attempts at an agility trial. At that point Brody and I had been training for 9 months and I was clueless. 2 years later I have become an agility geek and realize that this is a sport that I will continue to improve in and learn as long as I play.

It is a team sport, and so much of what you will learn is about what you need to do, not the dog. When I started training Rievaulx I used a book called Agility Right From the Start which is available from Clean Run, and it is really good at explaining the foundation work to build a good team.

Which brings us back to classes, without understanding the "why" it is hard to train, a personal example of this is contacts, all four paws have to pass through the yellow zone, when Brody and I started I knew the rule but had no clue how hard it was to achieve and in trials I allowed him to break his criteria in the beginning, and we are still paying the price.

IMHO, agility is 80-90% handling and 10-20% obstacles. Most dogs learn obstacles very easily. Getting them to follow a specific path from one obstacle to the next, when running, is the challenge.

Jovi

Yes, Yes, Yes....Thank You

Agility is about relationship and by that I mean cooperative effort between handler and dog. While only a fraction of the total distance of the course in comprised of equipment, the rest is "relationship", getting from obstacle to obstacle yet people spend more time training the "short" portion of the course.

In my foundation agility classes we spend the first few weeks trying to create relationship. We do a lot of focus and control exercises (foundation) and try to engage the dog to interact with us. The outside world would see this as "play". Then comes the addition of distractions (as if a class setting isn't distracting enough to most dogs). I use some bridge and target training in my classes so at the same time as working on relationship skills, we are introducing targeting skills. By using targets we can create a lot of independent behaviors such as contacts, weaves, distance work and handling skills.

We also work on drive. Drive by my definition is not scrambling about in hyperactivity because your genetic code dictates that you must be doing "something" at all times. Drive is focused and controlled.

Once we start actual equipment, we train single obstacles at a time with a lot of back chaining. Method of contact training is dependent on the body type of the dog. Short legged, long bodied dogs (corgi, doxie etc) are not taught 2o2o contacts (at least by me) so they will work one method, others will be taught differently. Regardless, obstacles will not be put into sequence until said time that the dog has the concept of the performance criteria and has the focus and control to start handling small sequences. Handling skills are taught on "the flat" without equipment first with the addition of equipment added once the dog starts to understand the handlers body language.

There are many different methods of training agility that are/have been in vogue at any one given time. They all have their plus sides and minus sides. Much of the success to those methods depends on you and your dog. Which ever one(s) you decide to use, it is best that have an understanding of the hows and whys of that method which is why a class may be the best way to go. Also, once you pick a way, stick with it for a while and allow the skills to develop before you decide to switch to another method. I know a person with a wonderful dog who has changed contact criteria multiple times via what ever DVD had just been released. The dog no longer understands his dogwalk criteria which is a real shame because there was nothing wrong with it in the first place.

Good Luck with your agility training.

Jovi

And I want to add, that training the handler to correctly direct the dog from one obstacle to the next is a monumental challenge!!! :P

I am in the camp that believes the dog is better than the handler. If I handle correctly, 90% of the time my dog is also correct. I agree that agility is mostly about training the handler.

I am also in agreement with alligande that agility is a sport where you (and your dog) can continually improve. It stays interesting because there is always another challenge.

There is a lot of information out there -- private lessons, group classes, DVDs, books, workshops, the internet, etc. Just keep asking questions and learning. You will learn what works for you and your dog. Remember to keep it fun!!

Jovi

Definitely find a class if you can. Meg and I just had class today and she is far better than I am. It helps me a lot to have a trainer who can tell me what I did wrong that led to Meg being confused.

We started with a foundation class, which was all flat work, no equipment really. It was all about just getting the dog to follow you on both sides, directional cues (here, out, wrap, switch, etc) and learning to pay more attention to your own body language.

Being in a class with other dogs and handlers (even just one or two other dogs) has also greatly helped Meg with her lack of confidence in new situations. For a while, I wasn't sure we'd ever be able to compete because being around other dogs and people was difficult for her. Now we've taken three agility classes (foundation and level 1 twice). We're still a ways off from competing, but she is so much more relaxed and confident, I'm sure we'll get there.

I agree with the other posters, agility is at least 90% handler and certainly, good agility teams know that there is nothing more important then relationship with your dog. Though there are great resources in books and DVDs -- agility done right is a great comprehensive book -- nothing takes the place of a class. if you are lucky enough to be in an area that has multiple classes or instructors, ask if you can sit in to watch one or two. Your best classes are ones that start with foundation and ground work, not obstacles and focus on making it about the relationship with your dog. I am pretty new to agility, but feel very lucky that I have had really good instructors who focus on relationship and foundation/flatwork/groundwork first.

I am in the camp that believes the dog is better than the handler. If I handle correctly, 90% of the time my dog is also correct. I agree that agility is mostly about training the handler.

I will second this sentiment, I know a more skilled handler could have got multiple Qs last weekend with Rievaulx, even as a novice with many things to learn he can do so much more than me.

Thanks so much, everyone. Those are very helpful responses! I don't even know what I don't know....

Star is 1.5 years. I'd very much hoped to start her on sheep but that is not going to work out--the time committment away from home is too great. I think she'd be quite good at agility, she learns quickly, has good energy but isn't "crazy" at all. Mostly I want to find something for her that she thinks is fun.

Another couple of follow up questions--is it possible for my 10 year old daughter to work with her in agility? (I think I know what the answer will be, based on responses above regarding handler. Though she could be much better than I would be; she is so patient and intuitive).

Also, does anyone know of good classes in the Dallas, TX area?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Another couple of follow up questions--is it possible for my 10 year old daughter to work with her in agility? (I think I know what the answer will be, based on responses above regarding handler. Though she could be much better than I would be; she is so patient and intuitive).

I can only speak from this side of the pond but agility is one of the few sports where kids can compete on the same level as adults and beat the pants off them.

I suppose it depends on how welcoming a class is to juniors but 10 is not too young at all. My own daughter started competing at that age and by 12 I had given her my 2 dogs to run because she was so much better than me.

Generally speaking we find that the juniors pick up the handling side quicker than the adults.

Your daughter will be able to handle her, I love seeing junior handlers with their dogs at trials. I think you will just have to find a trainer willing to work with the 3 of you. Once you are able to trial I know that some NADAC clubs offer great deals for junior handlers, the group I trial a lot with is basically 50% off. I train with a 14 year old wou is excellent at handling we started agility at the same time (under different trainers) and she is far better then me.

Some of the best handlers I know are junior handlers!

One of the most difficult things that junior handlers encounter in many areas of the country is a lack of peers. It can be discouraging to some children if there are not people of their own age in class and at trials -- This doesn't apply to all kids, of course -- Some kids are more comfortable conversing with adults, it seems! :P But it's pretty common for some kids to feel intimidated jumping into an adult world, so if your daughter has a friend from school that might like to start agility it might make it more fun for her. Or it could obviously be something that the two of you share together.

In my area the 4-H agility program is pretty popular, but for whatever reason those kids don't tend to branch out to "real" trials. Minnesota has one of the best junior handler groups around and they all stay connected via Facebook and the like between trials.

Junior handler fees (at least in NADAC) are dirt cheap -- Another bonus! :D

When I taught agility I had 3 girls start with me at the age of 10. They are now 16 (driving!! yikes!!) and are all on their 2nd dogs and two have qualified for 2012 AKC nationals and are fabulous handlers and owners. They are so committed to their dogs and all that practice and shows and such have certainly kept them on the straight and narrow in the big scheme of things. I watch them now and wonder where my cute little girls went, they are now young ladies and I am so proud of the women they are becoming. I consider them great friends. I think it helped that there are 3 of them that started together and show together so even when they were younger there was always a friend there to run around the show grounds with.

I was at a Champ show yesterday and at least 10 of the 100 top handlers from across the country that were competing in the Champ class I can remember being in Junior classes, including the winner.

I can even remember Dave Munnings as a Junior (just), and Natasha Wise who is the current double FCI World Medium Champion.

Ant Clarke won the Champ ticket with Dave Reserve.

I first encountered Ant as a freckled faced kid of about 13 - by 14 he was running his own training classes and by 16 (or thereabouts) he was holding seminars in places like Japan. (Super supportive parents, obviously.) At 19 he's the England coach for the WAO Championships this year, and one of the team selectors.

My own daughter got her first judging appointment at 13 (now there is a minimum age limit of 16) and several of her friends judged very young too.

I really can't recommend agility enough for producing mature and confident young people.

I really can't recommend agility enough for producing mature and confident young people.

I would have to agree. Of the "kids" that I know in agility, they are all very much mature and confident as well as polite and respectful. Can't always say the same for the adults though.....

I would have to agree. Of the "kids" that I know in agility, they are all very much mature and confident as well as polite and respectful. Can't always say the same for the adults though.....

There are differences in agility either side of the pond but that isn't one of them.

IME agility kids grow up mature because they are respected for who they are and what they can do when measured against the older folk and they respond accordingly. They aren't written off as just kids.

Agility is also excellent for keeping families together at a time when teenagers might be testing the boundaries and growing apart, firmly convinced that anything parents do or like is lame.

I think it's great to see them grow as Olivia says. The children who used to hang out together are now young adults and taking on more and more responsibility in the running of the sport at all levels.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody recommend someone in the Dallas Ft. Worth area? A google search returns Dallas Dog Sports (looks like this could be a good facility with several trainers that seem to be heavily involved in agility, but the kid must be 12 and the classes are during the week in the evening which would put me fighting traffic to get there). There are many others that come up in Dallas, so I guess I'm looking for a recommendation.

I just came back from a trial today where a 5th grade girl not only q'd in open, she did it in a dress and sandals!!!!!! (She had just made it back from the Easter service and didn't have time to change or even walk the course!) I think it would depend on the kid, but they certainly can excel in agility. :)

Can anybody recommend someone in the Dallas Ft. Worth area? A google search returns Dallas Dog Sports (looks like this could be a good facility with several trainers that seem to be heavily involved in agility, but the kid must be 12 and the classes are during the week in the evening which would put me fighting traffic to get there). There are many others that come up in Dallas, so I guess I'm looking for a recommendation.

I sent an email to a friend in the Dallas area. This is her reply. I hope it helps

"I would suggest she contact either Elizabeth Evans at Best Friends Fun Farm Agility in McKinney, or Patty Drom at Dallas Dog Sports, or Dallas Agility Working Group in Murphy. All are on the web. She should be able to Google any of them. Keep in mind that Dallas, like Chicago, covers a wide area. It's also going to depend on what suburb she lives in."

Good luck in your search

I sent an email to a friend in the Dallas area. This is her reply. I hope it helps

"I would suggest she contact either Elizabeth Evans at Best Friends Fun Farm Agility in McKinney, or Patty Drom at Dallas Dog Sports, or Dallas Agility Working Group in Murphy. All are on the web. She should be able to Google any of them. Keep in mind that Dallas, like Chicago, covers a wide area. It's also going to depend on what suburb she lives in."

Good luck in your search

Thanks so much, I will contact these folks and if they won't take a 10 year old perhaps they can refer me to someone.

Archived