BC Boards

I am now addicted to Steeplechase and Grand Prix, of course. And I'm rearrainging a spring trip to hit one, possibly TWO USDAA trials in between a couple NADAC trials.

Once I figure out how the title works, I'll really be in trouble. Everyone needs a goal, right :)

My goal is to try to start up USDAA in May or June -- It's pretty slow in this area for NADAC over the summer months and I figure that would be a good time to branch out. I've been wanting to for a while, but I didn't think it paid to go with one dog (Luke will never be able to do USDAA because the jumps are too high for him). But now Secret developed some teeter issues over the winter and we'll have to fix that before we can go -- And right now I'm using NADAC to warm her into trialing at lower jump heights instead of throwing her right into 26" with a winter of no training. Truthfully, though, I'm starting to waffle and think about running her 22" Performance. We'll see.

I've loved USDAA courses for a long time. I find them far more interesting than NADAC. I just hate their jump heights and I'm not fond of the a-frame height. I'm happy that they now accept 24" weave poles and rubber on the contacts, though!

I REALLY like the USDAA courses. They are much more technical than NADAC, but still very fast and flowing. Lucia just loves that type of course and did REALLY well this weekend. I cost her the runs we didn't Q in because of my lack of experience. I also dislike the height they use for jumps though. I had someone question me about jumping Lucia at 16" and not 22". They were very nice about it and I explained why, but they still didn't seem to fully understand the reason. I'm also hesitant to run Grady at his full heigt of 26". He hasn't been offically measured anywhere yet and he sits right around the 21" mark. If he does have to jump 26", I'll probably put him in performance too. I don't see the point of jumping a dog at that height and he's not going to World anytime soon ;) He jumps fine at 20" in NADAC. I can see the 22" jump, but 26" is just plain silly.

I have loved the couple of USDAA trials I have done, I did find the novice courses to be easier than NADAC oddly. And I can not figure out how to play gamblers, yet Brody and I have done well at snooker go figure. I have not tried the tournament events as Brody is not a fast dog and would not do well.

In my area a lot of people have dogs in performance and no one questions having your dog in that class. My new guy will jump 26" but he is huge with legs a super model would be proud of, in class when he jumps 20" he looks like Brody jumping 12". I was hoping that his first trial trial would be in the middle of April but we are having some issues with the teeter so we might have to stick with NADAC for awhile.

Grady has teeter issues too. It's going to be a LONG process because he's convinced that anything that moves under his feet is going to eat him :rolleyes: I've been working on it since he was 6 months old. Sigh.

We did the tourniment classes and LOVED them. I cost the Q in both runs due to handling and a stupid mistake in both speed jumping and grand prix. We Q'd and placed in everything else though.

I found the atmosphere to be a bit more competative than the NADAC trials I've been to. USDAA seems more like an event, like when I was showing horses, and NADAC feels more like a group of friends getting together to have a fun weekend with friends and dogs. I'm not knocking either venue, just stating my opinion of the atmosphere.

I found the atmosphere to be a bit more competative than the NADAC trials I've been to. USDAA seems more like an event, like when I was showing horses, and NADAC feels more like a group of friends getting together to have a fun weekend with friends and dogs. I'm not knocking either venue, just stating my opinion of the atmosphere.

Perhaps because you know more people and have more friends in NADAC? Give it some time playing in USDAA and I bet you'll feel the same "friendly gathering" type of setting.

Perhaps because you know more people and have more friends in NADAC? Give it some time playing in USDAA and I bet you'll feel the same "friendly gathering" type of setting.

We in the AAC are the friendliest! And we have beer gardens at our big trials! biggrin.gif

We in the AAC are the friendliest! And we have beer gardens at our big trials! biggrin.gif

I'm heading in your direction ASAP :D

You may be right Rave. I only knew a couple people. Everyone seemed friendly enough and very helpfull and I only met a couple over the top competitors. Got a few in the NADAC circle I compete in too. Unfortunately I won't have a chance to make too many friend here because I leave to head west soon. I'll be hitting a USDAA trial in PA and then one in Murfreesboro, TN along the way. There's no USDAA within 10 hours of me out west :( This is why I've only done NADAC until now. At least I can hit more trial places in my travels and don't have to limit things to NADAC now. I think I need a better paying job ;)

i'm going on the trial circuit with airbear! it's a long way away, but i think the beer gardens make up for it!

I would second this sentiment, and it is not saying that USDAA is not friendly, I found everyone very helpful and nice and I already knew some people from NADAC. It is just a more focused hard driving atmosphere. I am glad I started in NADAC as I think I might have found USDAA overwhelming but I loved the competitive nature of USDAA and which there where a few more trials close to home. But then I am brat and do not want to drive further than an hour! if I was willing to go up to 2 then I would have lots more options.

It would make sense that USDAA feels more competitive because they actually require wins for your Championship titles. You win $$ if you are in the top placements in Steeplechase. So yeah, it would make sense that the atmosphere is a little more jazzed than at NADAC trials.

While it's nice to get 1st, I honestly don't care about placements at all in NADAC. I care about the Q. Our local trials generally aren't that big, anyhow, so getting first of 2 or 3 really isn't all that exciting. ;)

i'm going on the trial circuit with airbear! it's a long way away, but i think the beer gardens make up for it!

Me, too!

Oh, and I really like USDAA. It's too bad we only get two trials here a year. Next year I'll have to travel more, maybe.

uhh not that one judge!!!!!

LOL! I don't think that one will be up here any time soon. Still such a Regionals highlight for me! biggrin.gif

You have to admit, Laura, except for that one little, ahem, issue, we are a lot of fun at trials. If you ever do move back to the Wet Coast, you'll have to come to some PAC trials in the summer. We have lots of girly pink swill (Palm Bay).

It would make sense that USDAA feels more competitive because they actually require wins for your Championship titles.

huh?? That's incorrect. There's one title for one class at one level (but both Champ and Performance) that requires you finish in the top 15% three times total. So no you don't have to win and no it's not for all the championship classes. Many people get these "Super Qs" by not even trying. ;-)

Yes USDAA is a competitive venue that attracts competitive people, but there are plenty of people who play just for fun, just like in any other venue.

When I first tried USDAA long ago, I thought it was challenging because all I had done previously was NADAC (the old NADAC, when it still resembled real agility). As I got used to the challenges of USDAA and trained for them, I became more comfortable in the venue and grew to love it. :-)

When I first tried USDAA long ago, I thought it was challenging because all I had done previously was NADAC (the old NADAC, when it still resembled real agility).

That was a long time ago. How many rule changes have there been since then????? :P

I like USDAA, except for your teeny-tiny tire. tongue.gif I especially like in the lower classes, you can have refusals. A huge surprise was that you can even go off course in Advanced Team and still Q and win your class. Speed kills!!!

That teeny tire is a little intimidating :huh: Lucia did OK with it, but she's not over the top and has the best self control. Grady has pulled a tire over himself more than once after catching a foot. Pretty scary to watch. He didn't get to play this weekend because of an injury, so we didn't get to test the new equipment they got. The trial I was at had the Max 200 break away tire. It came in handy at least one time that I know of. The dog miss timed it and their belly landed on the bottom, the tire broke free, the stand stayed in place and the dog kept going totally unfazed. It was REALLY cool!

We have break-away tires, 24" weave pole spacing, slatless dogwalks, rubberized equipment, 5'6" a-frames, a Veterans class that lets you drop your dog TWO jump heights ... and beer gardens! Viva la AAC! (except for the, ahem, issue, Laura)

Archived