BC Boards

Hiking Hells Canyon with dogs

We are going to be hiking Hells Canyon this spring with some friends, and of course our dogs are coming with! I have two outward hound backpacks now, the dogs each carry their own gear, but the older one I do not really like how it fits and rubs on my BC. I need to start getting the dogs (and myself :D ) in shape for the 26 mile hike, so having a good backpack to gradually add weight to is essential! Any suggestions for backpacks for dogs? I also am looking for some good booties for my BC, as the ground might be pretty hot already. (Coming from AZ we never hiked anywhere without taking booties with since it is always super hot)

Thanks!

could you put a little blanket on under the pack like you would a horse? or sew sheepskin covers over the straps like girth covers? just thinking so you don't have to throw something away. or just crazy talk.

could you put a little blanket on under the pack like you would a horse? or sew sheepskin covers over the straps like girth covers? just thinking so you don't have to throw something away. or just crazy talk.

I thought about putting cloth over the buckles. I have tried putting a wet towel under the backpack when we hiked before, but it does not seem to stay in place, and dries up quickly. The main problem I have with the backpack is that there is no ventilation so while the weather is hot, the dog is getting even hotter from the backpack. (I have three dogs, so I won't be throwing it away! :P ) The other Outward Hound I have is great, it has cloth to go over the buckles, and mesh on top so it breathes. I just can't find one like it anymore. :( Petsmart is always changing things up on me! Boo! :angry: LOL

I love the Ruffwear pack I bought for Torque. It is the Approach pack. The straps are padded, and everything seems to fit well. I bought it through a website called backcountry.com (I think) where it was cheaper than on the Ruffwear site. I think they (Ruffwear) make both a smaller and larger pack than the Approach pack - so you have several choices.

I have also heard that Wolfpacks are well regarded.

Good Luck - sounds like a great hike.

Jovi

Unless Outward Hound has drastically improved their design, I would not use one of their packs for a multi day hiking trip. You really need something like the Ruffwear pack in terms of quality and design.

Agree with gvc-border.

I love Ruffwear and use them. They have boots and backpacks.

I really like this one, but don't currently own it. It might be useful for your trip, plenty of room and removable side bags to turn into a regular harness:

http://www.ruffwear.com/Palisades-Pack?sc=2&category=13

This is the one I have, they come complete with BPA Free water bottles, but it's a little smaller, but easy to put on and remove:

http://www.ruffwear.com/Singletrak-Pack?sc=2&category=13

Have fun on your trip!!

Edit: I don't know what part of Idaho you're in, but there are stores that carry Ruffwear. You could find out on their website.

Archived