BC Boards

Itchy Dog

Jedismom

My dog Cadi gets itchy every few months or so. I'm pretty sure it's not food related but more grass/pollen related. I guess eventually I should get her allergy tested. I usually give her a medicated bath and it passes in a few days. I have some benadryl, but I've never given it to her before. Is it ok for dogs? Does it help? How much should I give? She's 40 lbs. She's so miserable right now. :(

Thanks.

Benedryl helps in some cases, but not like it does for humans. It's a relatively small percentage of dogs that are helped by it (less than 25% I believe), but it doesn't hurt to try - the amount my vet had me give Missy (also 40#) was two 25mg pills twice a day.

Is she on fish oil? It can be a big help for allergies and itchy skin.

I would suggest starting out with (1) 25mg pill. It will knock some dogs out! I gave it to a rescue Aussie who weighted 50# and it knocked her off her feet. Would have hated to see what 50mg would have done to her. However it never affected my 40# Aussie. Just like people, dogs metabolisms are differnt.

KimL

You know, after I wrote about it not being the food, I started to really think about it and I'm beginning to believe that chicken may be the culprit. Her food does not have corn. I try to alternate her food with lamb based kibble so that she is not always eating chicken. Today her itching is much better. I did give her two pills last night but I don't think they really did anything. I'll keep her on lamb and

see what happens.

Does Cadi pull out her fur?

Poke gets hives when he eats chicken and doesn't mess with his fur. When he had scabies he pulled pieces of fur out. We had to use special shampoo and go up 5000 feet to kill the scabies. i don't know if that is true with most dogs, but that was the difference in the itching that we experienced.

Does Cadi pull out her fur?

Poke gets hives when he eats chicken and doesn't mess with his fur. When he had scabies he pulled pieces of fur out. We had to use special shampoo and go up 5000 feet to kill the scabies. i don't know if that is true with most dogs, but that was the difference in the itching that we experienced.

:huh: 5000 feet? Why wouldn't you just use Revolution or Advantage Multi?

:lol: Scabies don't live in Denver very well and our trip up in elevation helped kill them. :) There are other things that kill them, but the special shampoo and elevation change was enough for us.

Scabies look like hives. Sita's were very pronounced and had a white head on them. We really couldn't see them until all three of mine had lost some hair. Scabies just never dawned on me until right before we were about to go out of town.

Archived