BC Boards

Howling

My border collie/rough coat collie is a big talker. He was found as a feral stray and he has this coyote style language of yips, yodels and howls that he used to us with his brother. Whenever he gets over excited he will howl or if we sing along to the radio. We taught him to do it on command and he gets so excited when we give him the command. He can make the sounds while laying in any position, including laying flat on his back lol.

My younger dog gets freaked out by it so whenever she is winning the game he will let it rip which sends her into a fit of zoomies and he gets the upperhand again lol.

Seven will speak on command, and loves to howl along with the rest of us. We just have to start howling and she joins in. She also is quite a talker--when I come home she tells me all about her day and I swear she starts with Hello (Ruh Row--in the same tone I say it) every time. I can also get her to talk just by starting a conversation with her. She has a beautiful "treed" bark--low and round--that she uses when she has treed the squirrel.

Star doesn't bark much--we can't get her to bark to teach her "speak". She will do a soft wuhf, wuhf when she is faced with something unfamiliar that she's not sure of. If it's clearly evil, she'll alarm bark. Boris did get her to bark the other night by using the dog whistle app on his i-phone (and I quickly said speak--good speak). Also, they have a hilarious dog translater you can download.

My Bonnie talks to me, she makes very funny noises which are not barking, but they are cute too. Bonnie's mom would join in in with the chickens' clucking:

I LOVED THIS VIDEO! Bonnie is adorable and I'm in love with her :wub:

Seek makes low grunting noises, like an achy old woman, haha! She also has howled at me, only a couple of times though when she was excited to go bye bye. She also screams when we are going to a park. I've heard other BC's do the scream as well... maybe it's common??

Cedar sounds like chubaka!

Both dogs can't yawn without making high pitched noises or some sort of other weird sound.

I love dog noises :)

I LOVED THIS VIDEO! Bonnie is adorable and I'm in love with her :wub:

Seek makes low grunting noises, like an achy old woman, haha! She also has howled at me, only a couple of times though when she was excited to go bye bye. She also screams when we are going to a park. I've heard other BC's do the scream as well... maybe it's common??

Cedar sounds like chubaka!

Both dogs can't yawn without making high pitched noises or some sort of other weird sound.

I love dog noises :)

Sonny will do that too. A sort of scream or keening when we're nearing our destination, whether it's the park, out in the desert or whatever exercise spot. (Never the vet's.) Since he prefers to sit at my side in the truck it can be ear shattering. :blink:

Archived