BC Boards

Allergy Shots

MagicGirl

Has anyone given their dog allergy shots. We had Magic tested last summer. She is allergic to 21 different food and inhaled allergens. We at that time we decided to try to manage the allergies with changes in diet, bathing frequently and keeping her bedding clean.

We spent all summer trying everything the vet and my online research suggested. All with very little success. The only thing that kept the itching and hot spots at bay was a low dose of prednisone every other day. I thought we would be able to stop this during the winter but she still has symptoms without the pred. I do not want to keep here on pred because of the long term side effects.

We have a wellness appointment in about a week and I am going to talk to the vet about starting allergy shots. I want to start them soon because I understand that it can take 6 to 12 months to see if they work.

Would love to hear anyones experiences with the shots.

The company that did the testing and would supply the shots is Spectrum labs.

i get allergy shots for my dogs as needed. some springs they need them more than other springs. they get very itchy, digging at the bellies, scratching constantly, etc. the shots really seem to help (i have also changed their diet to grain free). the shots last about 8 weeks for them in high season. we ususally get them april thru nov.

I did the allergy shot route after I couldn't watch my golden any longer. She got numerous hot spots, was constantly scratching (she would walk 4 steps, then itch, walk 4 more, then itch) and then ended up with demodex. Once that cleaned up I started the shots. We started with them weekly for 3 months, then moved to 2x a month, and we are now (almost a year later!) are on once a month shots. I must say it has been TOTALLY worth it. She is so much happier.

She is allergic to every allergen she comes in contact with: cats (we have 3), dogs, human dander, dust mites, mold, pollen from trees/bushes/flowers/grasses, chicken and several other meat sources, several grains, etc. She is on a fish based food and treats only, fish oil/vit e, I keep her bedding clean and during the summer, I wipe her down when she comes in from outside. She used to get 4 anti-itch pills a day...she is now down to 1 a day (granted it IS Winter).

I definitely recommend the shots.

Hi Magic,

At the dermatologist were I work we see around a 70% success rate with allergy vax.

We do not trust blood allergy tests because the results re not rep[eatable- they will be different each time the test is run- sometimes even on the same blood sample. We also specialize in allergies & allergy vax so our success rate is probably higher than that of an RDVM.

It is important to rule out all other causes before you assume inhalant allergies (atopy)...make sure infections are clear & do a proper elimination diet and rule out insect allergy.

You should ask your vet what kind of success rates/he has with Spectrum labs & the injections. Also get his/her definition of success.

HTH,

Depending on how long ago the test was done you may not be able to trust the results anymore. Your dog may have developed new allergies since then.

If you can afford the allergy injections they are the safest way to provide relief. Success rate depends largely on the testing method used, but 70% sounds about average. Of the blood tests, Spectrum seems to be the most accurate, but skin testing is far superior.

i get allergy shots for my dogs as needed. some springs they need them more than other springs. they get very itchy, digging at the bellies, scratching constantly, etc. the shots really seem to help (i have also changed their diet to grain free). the shots last about 8 weeks for them in high season. we ususally get them april thru nov.

Hi Rufftie,

I just want to make sure you are aware that the "Allergy Shots" you are getting are most likely corticosteroid shots. The side effects of corticosteroids are pretty well documented. Certainly they have their uses & they are not all bad. My dog takes prednisone orally for IBD & Lumbosacral disease. I just hate to hear about dogs getting allergy shots when the owner really should be told that the dog is receiving steroids.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Her Allergy test was done last year, early summer. We have changed her food to Wellness Simple and if the test was at all accurate the food should not be causing her continued problems. She has never had fleas and I do not know what other insects could bother her year round other than dust mites which we do our best to control by keeping bedding clean and house vaccumed.

She is an extremely healthy, according to the vet, other than she tears herself to pieces scratching. She sees her vet every year and has had a blood panel done every year since we got her just so we know what her normal is. Everything always looks great. (She acctually sees her vet unofficially about once a month since both my mom and sister work there and we are there alot visiting.)

You all give me some encouragement that we may be headed in the right direction. I am looking for the safest and most effective way to help her.(Money is no option)I only want the best for her.

thanks Cindy,

i'm aware that they are steriod shots basically and i try to remain knowledgeable about the side effects and use them judicously. sometimes i just can't bear to watch him suffer anymore when i know a shot will help him for a couple months. will continue to monitor his intake and try other methods of control when i can.

Archived