BC Boards

Oatlands SDT

Rave

I'll be there. I'll be wearing a straw hat and running around fixing problems during the trial (I think Mary Brighoff has given me the title of field manager). I'll see you there and I'll see you at the post (my 1st open trial).

P.S. please continue the trend from last year and help prevent me from getting poisen ivy.

Thanks Sam

In my twisted thought process, moving up at Oatlands puts NO pressure on me. If we don't do well, no big deal we'll be in good company and if by a miracle we do well, great.

Sam, Maggie sure is her mother's daughter. Waaaaaaaaay too much wiggle in that body for me.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh Maggie, Well I had her to sheep twice now and her recall has had major tweaking over the last few days...My kennel yard is set up perfect for her little trick of not coming when she knows she will be put up, she has also found that is less than desirable to bark in the kennel...Poor thing had blowout runs the first night she was here, I think the food change got her. Tell Mary she is doing fine and Gwen said no probs on the spay as long as she goes as a goose dog. She is a major wiggle dog, but to me she is only half as bad as her mother...I COULDNT stand poor little Jess...she is doing fantastic in her new job though!!!

Way to gooooooooo Mark! We'll be there too.

I totally understand your logic. I ran my first Open at Stan Moore's trial. The sheep aren't especially difficult, but that outrun, geez!

Good luck! We'll be rooting for you to come in 3rd. Spottie and Ben first and second of course :rolleyes:

Since it will be a very long time before I join the ranks of Open handlers, the dogs and I will just be there spectating for the sheepdog trial. Fly's job is to take notes for the future, distant though it may be. The last time I went to Oatlands (a couple of years ago) I didn't know enough to understand what I was watching. It'll be interesting to go back to the same trial with hopefully more educated eyes this year. Of course, it could end up being one of those "Flowers for Algernon" experiences where I think I should understand the finer points of the runs I see and I actually don't, so who knows. But I digress...

I'll be running Solo in the agility trial, though, so we sort of feel like we're there for a reason. And Mark, I'm available for menial tasks if you need someone to run score sheets around or bring the judge cold drinks. Solo's only entered in one class for the agility trial, so I'm anticipating lots of free time.

Good luck all!

Yay, glad to see so many familiar names going....now maybe I can put faces to those names. And perhaps you guys can explain the finer details that a sub-novice like me would miss. :rolleyes: I'll be the one with the young wiggly somewhat barky 9 month old smooth tri pup.

Melanie, what class are you entered in at the agility trial?? I'll be there competing with Zoe in Standard and Jumpers. :D

-Laura

I have Solo in Novice Jumpers. We're starting slow -- with games classes -- you know, ones where the judge doesn't follow you around and stare at your dog. Did I tell you he got a Q in NADAC Novice Tunnelers in his first trial? Yeah, it's not herding -- but Solo's got to be good at something, right?

Come sit with me to watch the sheepdog trial. I'm probably going to crate my dogs with my trainer's dogs and hang out over on the herding side. Poor Fly, going to a sheepdog trial and not getting to run.

I wonder how much "crossover" there is between the agility people and the sheepdog people, and if folks from one side often wander over to watch the other side. (I've left out lure coursing, I realize. It's Dog Fest 2003!) It would be a good thing if the agility folks came and watched the sheepdog trial.

Last time I went to Oatlands I didn't get past the gate; I had Solo with me, and the guard wouldn't let me in with him after he asked if Solo was entered in anything and I told him no. Honesty gets you nowhere in this world! I watched the trial from the top of the field. It was interesting though, getting a good look at the lift and beginning of the fetch from that perspective. I'm more used now to watching from the bottom of the field.

Any Jumpers hints? I've never seen a USDAA Jumpers course. Since this is totally off-topic for the training forum, you can email me direct if you're of a mind.

I know quite a few agility folks wander over, but I saw most last year watching from the side of the field along vendor row, not the bottom.

Jumpers is fun, just go out there and have fun and let your dog have a good experience. :rolleyes: They do a good job at this trial of fencing back the crowd. Zoe's in P2 Std. & Jumpers.

-L

Some of us herding folks were "cross-overs", we crossed over and just never went back. My wife's Open herding dog, Starr, was quite good in UKC agility and our first Border Collie, Duncan, has a UKC ATCh. But he liked sheep better; he wasn't as good on sheep as he was in agility. Now he's back to being a pet, retired due to injuries and very hard-headedness.

I can remember going to see this trial the first time, I think it was 1995. That would have been while we were still living in an appartment in Gaithersburg and before we got into agility. I still have the whistle I bought back then. Now look at what's happened to me, I'm helping run this trial. Yikes!

OK Dana here's my plug:

On May 10 & 11 at Oatlands Plantation in Leesburg VA there will be three nationally sanctioned dog sporting events running simultaneously: USBCHA Herding, USDAA Agility, and ASHA Lure Coursing. There will also be venders and breed rescue organizations on hand. Please come join us for this event, but please leave your pets at home. See the Oatlands Plantation web site for directions and cost. Also, if you’re in the DC area, look for us on TV (Fox and possibly channel 4) a couple of days before the weekend.

Mark

Well that leaves me out. I certainly can't travel all that way and leave my dogs at home unattended.... Hmmmm...maybe next year I'll have a dog running in open and then I can go! (You hear that Sam? Help!)

To those of you who have never been, Oatlands is a beautiful place in a beautiful part of Virginia. If you can make it out there, you should go. Can't speak for the agility and lure coursing (although I imagine it's good), but you will see some top-notch sheepdogs! I'll admit that I have not gone to the sheepdog trial, but I did visit for a draft horse and mule pull. Met a gorgeous black shire stallion who was trained for dressage as well....

J.

Hey y'all...

Thanks for the fun thread... I am sitting here waiting for the grading contractor who promised to "have everything done" YESTERDAY get here and get something done so I can at least close the gate to the field and let the sheep out of the round pen.... arrrrrggghh!

Oatlands is neat trial, only went once one year when I was on an extended trek in Phille... Solo, I may be the only one who knows what sas.upenn.edu is....

I pulled in, found a place to park, walked over and found a spot along the driveway. I must have given some hint that I knew what was going on cause after a run or two someone asked a question about the trial course. I made up some answer that must have seemed right, and a conversation picked up.

Someone said something to the effect of "I thought this was a border collie trial. Look at that dog, it can't be a border collie."

I looked over and there was Roy Johnson going to the post with Roscoe and that Roscoe was one heck of a border collie.

The reply -- "It can't be a pure bred, look, it's RED!"

The next dog was kinda merlie and short haired, same conversation... after about six more runs they finally got the picture... it is the work that makes the dog...

best handling I saw was (I think) by Jeff Hoffman... he didn't win, but one thing he did has stayed with all this time...

it was really hot that day, and several dogs had plopped down in the little creek/wet spot that crosses the field... the result was lost points for being out of contact...

when Jeff's dog got to the wet spot, Jeff gave him a down whistle... then asked him up and quickly downed him again... then up again for the rest of the drive... just enough to cool the dog and keep him keen on Jeff's whistles... really nice...

I envy those who are going... have fun...

and, Laura, Marti is really enjoying her lessons with you!

CCnNC

Laura,

I'm a very bad liar, and my luck they'd insist that I step out on the field with one of my dogs (then they'd *know* the truth!).

Actually, as I told Mark, I've got trials the two weekends before Oatlands and then I'm leaving for the Bluegrass trial the Tuesday after Oatlands, so I think I better stay home that weekend and make sure that all animals, animal housing, animal feed supply, etc. is in good shape for the housemate who will be responsible for it all while I'm on the road.

Have fun--I wish I could be there!

J.

Hey Julie,

You will be in Open before you know it never fear...Unfortunately Jill never did Oatlands though, you will have to wing it with her there! :rolleyes: See you tonight, maybe we can catch up for dinner...stacy and I are leaving in about 3 hours, have to drop some dogs off on the way and will be there around 6...call my cell if you want to go to supper and we will wait till we get there!!!! Wahooooooooooooooooooo trial time!!!