BC Boards

Not raising leg to pee yet

I have 2 females that do a fine job of lifting something to mark just like a male so it doesn't take a male around to teach the lift. Just a dog who marks will do!

It's almost funny to see who's going to get the last "mark" when they have a pee fest. Mick usually wins but I've seen Dew double back and remark Mick's mark. She thinks she's being sneaky. Guess she is cause he rarely goes back to remark.

They all line up to pee in the same spot. Except Jazz, she thinks this is all plain gross! And what's strange is the others really don't go back and mark her spots. Maybe she is really not a member of their club!

Of our six, we have three lifters and three squatters, one female and two males in each category. Squatter males lift on occasion and lifter female squats on occasion. Neuter status seems irrelevant. Pee-prefences seem irrelevant to other aspects of personality. All over-pee each other. None appear to have "taught" their preferred stance to others. It seems pretty random.

Poop habits seem equally so :rolleyes:.

Wow, what agreat responce.......thanks everyone. You have put my mind to rest that there is nothing to worry about, now just have to get my daughter to stop calling Sam.........Samantha lol

My lab mix (neutered at 6 mos) didn't start lifting his leg until her was 2 1/2. Still at 9 3/4 he usually does the 'horse stance' unless he's marking. He had no other males around when he was younger, but we did have a female leg lifter who marked a lot.

Meg squats and lifts one leg at the same time usually.

Mick started lifting around 7 months old. He was neutered a bit after a year, because he got the awesome habit of marking in the house if human males entered it. Mick is determined to be the highest pee-er around, but he stopped marking in the house after he was neutered.

Sinead will occasionally lift her leg. She marks constantly, but she's not spayed yet (next month she will be).

Scooter does both. Our neighbor always makes fun of him when he sees him squatting instead of lifting his leg.."What is he? A girl?!" :rolleyes:

Ben was nearly 2 before he lifted his leg - he learnt from watching Mia who marks things when she is stressed

Even now he mainly squats but the odd time he lifts his leg

The one that had me in stitches

1st thing in the morning - full pee tank - he sniffs around at the tree, gets himself ready to pee, lifts the WRONG leg - so is now stood next to the tree peeing away from it

Looks sheepish

puts the leg down and squats then (all this while still peeing) slooooowly lifts up the correct leg and proudly pees up the tree

Morning pee and yoga all at once

• 1 month later...

It's been my experience that some dogs just always do the "puppy stretch", as I call it. My late golden mix did the puppy stretch his whole 14 years. Lewie just turned 3 last week and he still does the puppy stretch. He generally will only attempted to mark if he's marking over another dog's scent/claiming territory.

Personally, I adore the puppy stretch in my adult males.

I'm updating my own post.....since the topic has risen to the fore again....Brodie is still not raising his leg. I've decided it's because he's patterned himself after Ladybug - a female. Again, it's okay. I have an intermittant discussion with Robin over whose "posts" (shrubs) are whose... he gets all the border fence posts. Everything else is off limits but every now and then he tries to claim some shrubbery....

I don't understand all of the hormones/behavioral patterns connected to the switch over but here is what happened at our house: Brodie is over a year old and still has yet to adopt a male stance ...I've been told that some dogs never do and that's okay with me, for the sake of my shrubs. He and Robin were both neutered at a year old.

Robin started marking/ lifting his leg at about eight months old, having witnessed an older male dog marking a post at obedience class. You could just see the light bulb going off above his head. He came home and immediately started claiming all of the fence posts. Mine. Mine. Mine....it went on for hours. And he still sticks to fence posts, thank goodness. But there's not a one left for Bro and he apparently never quite dared to remark the territory. Though he'll go up to the line and pee close to a post, but never on it. (Apparently height has something to do with status in the doggy world.)

They also have this game of everyone peeing where everyone else has peed, which Brodie does participate in. That started when they were puppies. Ladybug became their adoptive mother when we brought them home and she would "cover" their scent. Then, as they grew older, the pups somehow thought they had to pee where she did. We have quite a large area fenced in so it did help in potty training because she would take them to the far corners to "do their business."

Liz

Archived