BC Boards

My Sweet, Sweet Dog

Spring is here, so when I'm out with Buddy we run into a lot of mothers with strollers and toddlers.

When I first got Buddy, he was scared of small children and strollers... but I think he realized quickly that food frequently falls from them.

Anyway, when we meet toddlers now, he immediately lies down and crawls to approach the kids... then takes treats from their hands ever-so-gently, using his tongue and lips with no teeth pressure at all. One mother said the other day, "Oh, that's the gentlest dog in the world!" :rolleyes:

It really is the sweetest thing to watch. And this from a dog who is... shall we say... challenging when meeting other dogs!

Mary

:rolleyes: Good for Buddy - and you! Success is so sweet and rewarding to see. It especially sweet when you know just how far your dog has come.

When I took Missy in for her U/S the other day. She was the best dog in the clinic. She was happy, relaxed, totally ignored the other two dogs that were a bit nervous and reactive. The staff, the vet and the other dog owners in the clinic commented on how sweet and good she was. Yup, this was my once hide in the corner, not want to get out of the car or meet new people, try to get to a safe spot dog, that they were talking about. Seeing her like that and hearing those comments was almost as good as hearing the positive test results :D

Watching a gentle dog with a little kid or toddler is one of life's great joys - glad you and Buddy have such nice awwww moments.

When I first got Samantha, she was pretty shy, but she loved, loved, loved kids. I had her in a copy shop once and a woman came in with her maybe 7 yr old son. He and Sam made a beeline for each other, and I started to say, "Ask your mom first, show her your hand" and this kid interrupts me, and says, "yeah, yeah, yeah, momcanIpetthedog" just like that. But with Sam, he was very polite and gentle, letting her sniff his hand all the way up his arm to his face, which made him giggle.

Then I said, "She really llikes you," Sam's tail was wagging and and she was all smiley. The boy said, "Everybody likes me." His mom, the store clerk and I just cracked up. That kid's going to go far.

Ruth

Anyway, when we meet toddlers now, he immediately lies down and crawls to approach the kids... then takes treats from their hands ever-so-gently, using his tongue and lips with no teeth pressure at all. One mother said the other day, "Oh, that's the gentlest dog in the world!" :rolleyes:

It really is the sweetest thing to watch. And this from a dog who is... shall we say... challenging when meeting other dogs!

Both Senneca and Rhys bach are naturally very gentle with small children. Rhys bach will go up to them -- even babies in a stroller -- and drop the ball for them to throw. He will excitedly run and fetch the ball, even if the child barely does more than drop it. This is a dog who needs to be managed because he will growl at and try to nip some men, but he is wonderful with children.

Archived