BC Boards

non-edible crate pad/bed

I am looking for suggestions to put in Rievaulxs "day" crate, he has attempted to eat everything we have tried and we do want to use something because a: he is very noisy with nails on plastic when empty. b: he likes comfy things. He seems to have given up using his nighttime bed as a chew toy, but obviously he is more active when he is in the crate during the day.

On a positive note he has been very good about only chewing on his things, and no shoes or socks have died.

My new addition gets nothing in his crate. He eats anything when bored. Granted, he is a bit louder (clangs and bangs) in an empty crate, but my boyfriend doesn't seem to mind too much (he works nights and therefore sleeps all day). It really doesn't seem to phase him that he's sleeping on hard plastic. I'd rather him sleep there for a few hours every day then have to bring him to the ER cause he ate an entire blanket, towel or mat!

I am looking for suggestions to put in Rievaulxs "day" crate, he has attempted to eat everything we have tried and we do want to use something because a: he is very noisy with nails on plastic when empty. b: he likes comfy things. He seems to have given up using his nighttime bed as a chew toy, but obviously he is more active when he is in the crate during the day.

On a positive note he has been very good about only chewing on his things, and no shoes or socks have died.

Stall mats (for horses) work very well, but they're very expensive because you have to buy the large size, unless you and some friends can go in together and cut one up between you. Brodie has a stall mat that came with a crate I bought at a friend's yard sale.

When I was looking for an inexpensive solution for Robin, someone here on the board suggested buying a heavy duty truck mudflap -- the kind for the larger trucks and trimming it down to size. It has worked like a charm. My additional suggestion would be to air it out for a week or so before you put it in the crate because it does have quite a smell when you first buy it. It's been in Robin's crate for about 8 months and not a tooth mark on it. It's a little thinner than the stall mat, but still provides cushion. I take the mats out about once a week, clean them off, swish out the crates and we're back in business.

Liz

My girl was a bed eater so for a while she simply got nothing. Then we upgraded to an old towel, then a thicker bed sheet and we just the other day go her first poofy bed. Just in time for winter! She's not bothered by sleeping on the plastic, but then again I did heaps of Crate Games so she's not bothered to be sitting in there for hours on end if the situation arises. Although she will pulll anything I leave on the top of the crate through the bars. :rolleyes:

When Quinn was crated, he had to make do with a bare crate. Everything else was destroyed and I didn't want him to cause an obstruction, the dope. He survived a hard crate floor to sleep on. Finally, as he approaches 5 years of age, he does not destroy dog beds. Of course, he's been out of a crate since he was about 20 months old and now snoozes on a big comfy chair by the window when I'm gone and on my bed each night. But the dog bed at work is safe these days at least.

I was looking for a chew-resistant crate pad several years ago and found a few: Dura-Bed (this may be the new site?) and Dura-Bull. Kuranda also makes a cot-like bed that their website suggests is for use either in or out of the crate. I ended up not buying anything at all, so I can't comment on the product quality of any of them.

I was looking for a chew-resistant crate pad several years ago and found a few: Dura-Bed (this may be the new site?) and Dura-Bull. Kuranda also makes a cot-like bed that their website suggests is for use either in or out of the crate. I ended up not buying anything at all, so I can't comment on the product quality of any of them.

I can vouch for the Dura Beds as being great, I had an elderly pad chewer and I hated her arthritic hips being on a hard floor. Lasted for years. To be fair, she wasn't a "rip it to shreds" chewer, more an "I'm bored here I'll work on this corner for recreation" kind of chewer.

Thanks for the ideas, neither my husband or myself can stand the nails on plastic thing. I have started to take the pad out when we are not home. He is a dog that likes soft cuddly things rather than his brother who chooses to sleep on the hard wood floor rather than a choice of 2 dog beds or our bed, so I do want him to be comfortable.

My 9 year old Spyder is a big time pad chewer - no - I should say pad-ripper!!!!!!!!

I don't know if that started when we was in boarding (He was boarded for 1 year - his human went to a nursing home).

I usually make a trip to the Goodwill clearance corner every other month and buy up all the old towels, sheets and blankets I can find! Thank goodness he does not eat them, just ripps them to shreds - some days are better then others!

The mudflap idea and the stall mats are worth a try!

Kurundas are pretty indestructible. All the runs where I work are equipped with them (and sheep skin beds). But if a dog is a bed destroyer, they just get a kurunda, and they all seem to like them.

Stall mats (for horses) work very well, but they're very expensive because you have to buy the large size, unless you and some friends can go in together and cut one up between you. Brodie has a stall mat that came with a crate I bought at a friend's yard sale.

When I was looking for an inexpensive solution for Robin, someone here on the board suggested buying a heavy duty truck mudflap -- the kind for the larger trucks and trimming it down to size. It has worked like a charm.

Tractor Supply has rubber floor mats that are the same thickness as stall mats. But they fit perfectly into a large (like, Great Dane -sized) wire crate.

I had to get one for my maremma/BC cross, because he's so heavy he breaks the plastic pans against the bottom wire of the crate. But then I had a brain wave and bought one for Faith - She Who Must Nom All Dog Beds. Worked great.

Archived