BC Boards

2010 Finals sponsorships

Sue R

I've emailed, PM'd, or Facebooked everyone who has not yet sent in their check (or made other arrangements with me). Please send your check if you have not already done so to Sue Rayburn, 871 Cale Rd, Bruceton Mills WV 26525-5249 or email me at susan.rayburn at gmail.com if you need to contact me privately.

Also, Ben is ready to send out the yarn to the five who committed (and paid) to support, so I also need folks to let me know if they would like his yarn and if they would like to be in the drawing for Diane's yarn (needing to hear from Ms.DaisyDuke, Dracina, Carolyn Crocker, and Scomona on this).

I would like to send in the sponsorships this week so I do need the checks (unless, as I said, you made other arrangements with me - and please be patient if I need a reminder - I archived all my PMs and they are hard to go through in HTML).

Thank you all!

I've emailed, PM'd, or Facebooked everyone who has not yet sent in their check (or made other arrangements with me). Please send your check if you have not already done so to Sue Rayburn, 871 Cale Rd, Bruceton Mills WV 26525-5249 or email me at susan.rayburn at gmail.com if you need to contact me privately.

Also, Ben is ready to send out the yarn to the five who committed (and paid) to support, so I also need folks to let me know if they would like his yarn and if they would like to be in the drawing for Diane's yarn (needing to hear from Ms.DaisyDuke, Dracina, Carolyn Crocker, and Scomona on this).

I would like to send in the sponsorships this week so I do need the checks (unless, as I said, you made other arrangements with me - and please be patient if I need a reminder - I archived all my PMs and they are hard to go through in HTML).

Thank you all!

Hi Sue,

I am sure the wool is lovely, but as I would not put it to use let others' names be on the list to win it.

And thatnks again for all your work to organize the sponsorships.

Carolyn

• 2 weeks later...

I received the last check yesterday so I will be putting the checks in the bank and sending in the sponsorships today.

Thanks to all who have participated this year and in past years!

Oh, and I'm just waiting on one reply to do the drawing for Diane's wool and to give Ben the info on where to send his wool. As soon as I get that, I'll get out the info to them. Up to five people will get a skein of Diane's wool and one lucky person will get Ben's Cotswold wood skeins. Just in time to knit something for summer!

Well, I think I misunderstood the whole wool thing quite a lot. Ben has offered Cotswold wool skeins - Diane, I think I understand correctly, said to not put her name "in the hat" so someone else could have her "share" of the wood Ben offered. So, here is what it is - Ben has offered natural-colored Cotswold wool skeins to the first five contributors. Right now, of those who have expressed an interest in the wool (and some, much more than just an interest), that would be Lynn R, Kathy F, Celia M, and Julie B (I'm waiting to hear back from the one person whose preference I haven't gotten yet - once I hear, I'll give Ben the shipping info and you home-crafters will have your wool on the way).

Here is what I have prepared for the sponsorships, and please PM (better yet, email at susan.rayburn at gmail.com) any differences you'd like to see -

Mark Billadeau - sponsored by Diane, Celia, Ben, Lynn, Sue

Julie Poudrier - sponsored by Lisa, Janet, Kathy, Julie, Sue

to be determined - sponsored by Amy, Simona, Carolyn, Donna, and Karrin

Also, if you have a suggestion for "to be determined" please email me. I have been given a few suggestions but I am waiting to hear if any of them hope to run a dog in the Finals, and I'm open to more good ideas - my preference this year is for people who make a contribution to these boards. That includes Eileen Stein, Lana Rowley, Laura Hicks, Denise Wall, Robin French, and Christine Henry. I am sure there are others that I am not thinking of, so any help would be appreciated.

Ya-HOO! Ben, I will very much enjoy knitting with your wool, knowing whence it came. And I do some of my best knitting in the summer - Baltimore weather notwithstanding.

Sue: GREAT choice of candidates. I'm glad I let you pick. I would be honored to sponsor any of them. Thanks so much for all your efforts in coordinating this!

• 3 months later...

Does anyone who participated in our sponsorships need a ticket or two for the Finals? I have to let Joan know if we need to use any of the tickets that (after we sponsored) became part of the sponsors' gifts.

Please let me know ASAP so I can email Joan about that.

Can we give tickets to friends who live in Virginia? I can't use any, we're too far to be able to come.

Did you see that Duncan and I sponsored Tommy Wilson and Sly? After watching them at Soldier Hollow last year, it almost felt like an investment rather than a pure-on sponsoring deal!! :rolleyes::D

Hey folks! There's a $500 prize for the sponsor of the winning handler/dog team! And $250 to the sponsor of the reserve champs. And anyhow, it's a great cause. Lots of wonderful dogs left, check it out --

Link to 2010 Finals Dog Sponsorship Page

Can we give tickets to friends who live in Virginia? I can't use any, we're too far to be able to come.

Did you see that Duncan and I sponsored Tommy Wilson and Sly? After watching them at Soldier Hollow last year, it almost felt like an investment rather than a pure-on sponsoring deal!! :rolleyes::D

Hey folks! There's a $500 prize for the sponsor of the winning handler/dog team! And $250 to the sponsor of the reserve champs. And anyhow, it's a great cause. Lots of wonderful dogs left, check it out --

Link to 2010 Finals Dog Sponsorship Page

Hmmmm - anyone want to go in on Allen Mills' Sis with me?

Does anyone who participated in our sponsorships need a ticket or two for the Finals? I have to let Joan know if we need to use any of the tickets that (after we sponsored) became part of the sponsors' gifts.

Please let me know ASAP so I can email Joan about that.

Sue:

I'm certainly planning on attending (along with DH, FIL, SIL, BIL, as many other dog-loving friends as I can round up....). Probably only on the two Saturdays: younger son is entering high school and will have Mucho Homework. So, sure, if no one else is asking for them, I'll take a ticket or two. But if they're bespoken, then I'll be buying a stack to support The Cause.

As a sponsor on your own, Jan, I expect you can do anything you want with the tickets you get. It's only the group sponsors that need to decide if any of their tickets (two per sponsorship) are going to be used. As a volunteer, I don't think I need a ticket myself.

Yes, right now I'm scribing a few slots, backup, and announcing (they didn't learn their lesson last time). I was going to be a floater but she'll only put me in, I think, if she's short of people.

It's a wonderful opportunity.

Our goal in choosing teams to sponsor this year was to particularly recognize people whose contributions to these boards have been helpful, instructive, and insightful to many.

For that reason, our choices were Mark, Julie P, and Robin. Since Julie did not enter a dog this year, we chose Herbert Holmes, President of the USBCHA, and a man who works "for the dogs" in many ways, to be our third sponsorship.

I am really pleased with the fine people that we have been able to sponsor each year, and particularly this year, supporting people who are a vital part of these boards and the trialing community.

Many thanks to those who contributed to make these sponsorships possible! And best wishes for runs that make our handlers proud and their dogs to feel the satisfaction of a job well-done!

• 5 weeks later...

I'd like to express my thanks to Sue for setting this up. Having a betting interest in the race has really ramped up the excitement factor! Fun + giving a small something back to individuals within the community who are so generous with their time - a total win/win situation.

Between the betting interest and Heather's Twitter feed on the website, it's been hard focusing on work. It's also been fun to "watch" (in absentia) the BC Board members' runs. Too bad the weather hasn't cooperated better for dogs, sheep, and handlers alike!

I do find that sponsoring handler/dog teams gives me a particular personal "stake" in the competition - not a financial interest, per se - but a sense of involvement and a satisfaction in supporting those whom I admire and respect, along with supporting the Finals.

Everyone we were involved with (Mark with Peg, Robin with Zac, and Hub with Juno) made me proud to be a sponsor. All good folks, all good dogs, all good models for the rest of us.

Thanks to all who contributed so we could support these fine teams and the 2010 National Finals.

Archived