BC Boards

2010 Finals sponsorships

Sue R

For the last two years, a lot of good folks have been willing and able to contribute to dog/handler sponsorships for the National Sheepdog and National Cattledog Finals. I was able to collect sponsorship commitments for the last three years. The first year, friends and myself were able to sponsor Julie Poudrier and one of her dogs at Gettysburg. The next year, we raised four sponsorships for the 2008 Sheepdog Finals (which were matched by four additional sponsorships). Last year, we raised (with other folks also picking up the idea) four Sheepdog and three Cattledog sponsorships.

I'd be happy again to coordinate sponsorship contributions as in previous years. This year, the dog/handler teams in the Cattledog Finals, which will be held in May, 1 are sponsored at $125 each. That would be five people at $25 each to make up each sponsorship. Of course, anyone could contribute more if they would like but keeping it in $25 increments keeps the math real easy for me!

The Sheepdog Finals sponsorships are $150 each this year. That would mean either six people at $25 each or (better yet) five people at $30 each for a sponsorship. I'd like feedback on which would be preferable.

The National Finals are the showcase of the working Border Collie in North America. Many of the best and brightest dog and handler teams, both famous and lesser-known, participate to be challenged by the course, the sheep, and the conditions. Sponsorships are one way that the Finals Committee raises money to put on a quality, testing Finals event. For those of us who are not able to contribute a full sponsorship, this is a great way to support the Finals, the working Border Collie, and dogs and handlers that we admire and respect.

Once the teams competing are announced, I will post and we can choose those participants we'd like to support most. Of course, I am always in favor of those who contribute to this forum with advice, comments, and assistance. It's a little "thank you" back to those who post here and share their expertise.

Thanks to Kelpiegirl for reminding me of this - I have been putting it off because of the economy and nasty winter conditions, but it's time to get moving on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bumping this up because there has been little response to this posting, and no response to similar ones on the other boards, Sheepdog-L, and Cowdogs. Some may have missed this the first time around, and there just may be many circumstances that prevent previous (or potential) group sponsors from being able to make a commitment this year.

Meanwhile, on another topic in this section, folks are getting Cattledog Finals sponsorships for Anna Guthrie, if anyone would like to support her and her dogs. My Danny-boy thinks that supporting his mother (Riddle) is a wonderful idea...

Thanks for staying on this, Sue. I'm hoping that once we have more names of board members who are formally entered in both the Cattle and Sheep Finals you'll see an increase in sponsorships. Right now Anna's is the only name I recognize among the cattle entries. And with the sheep finals still a ways off, it's hard for us who aren't quite in-the-know to guess who will be traveling to Virginia among those qualified. Once the entries start getting posted, we can find our board members and I'll bet (hope) the sponsorships will pick up.

Hey, Sue-

I was cleaning out around here, and I still have a pile of yarn from my flock that I never sold.

As an "incentive", if anyone is interested, I'd be willing to send the first 5 folks who contribute $25 a few skeins of my yarn. I know there are a bunch of yarn geeks around here (aside from myself) :rolleyes: It's 100% Cotswold wool, natural color (light & dark grey), pretty much organic, spun by a wind-powered spinnery.

Wow - and prizes! Thanks, Diane and Ben - even though my early morning eyes kept reading "yam" and wondering who else was a sweet potato fan!

As of now, we have one full sponsorship at $30 each and one person to start the second, or one full one at $25 each (please PM me with your preference of $25 or $30 or, better yet, if you'd be willing to go either way to make it work out best).

And, we need to think about the person we'd like to sponsor - I always like to sponsor someone from these boards who contributes and sets a good example as a handler and a person. You can also PM me with ideas, and I have a favorite of my own.

Things are heating up, slowly - I only lack one $30 commitment to make two sponsorships for Sheepdog Finals now (that's all at $30 each). Maybe we can get a few more people involved and get some more going. If not (and if so) I am very grateful to those who are willing and able to contribute.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have commitments for two sponsorships - five for one and six for the other. One more person (at $25), and we'd all be committed for just $25 each.

I'd like some input on handler/dog teams that people who have committed would like to sponsor - I have ideas of my own, two handlers who contribute a great deal to these boards, but I'd be open to see if others have suggestions, too. If I don't hear otherwise, though, I'll pick a couple...

As soon as I know the final numbers, I will post the information as to how much to contribute, and where to send the checks so I can get the sponsorships in the mail. The absolutely last day would be April 11, because I want to send the checks out the next day. So, please, suggestions if you want to make them.

I will say that the two handlers I am inclined to sponsor this year are Mark Billadeau (particularly for his health-related posts) and Julie Poudrier (for her posts on numerous topics, both in the working section and the general section).

The absolutely last day would be April 11, because I want to send the checks out the next day. So, please, suggestions if you want to make them.

I will say that the two handlers I am inclined to sponsor this year are Mark Billadeau (particularly for his health-related posts) and Julie Poudrier (for her posts on numerous topics, both in the working section and the general section).

Sue: I'm going to be leaving for Switzerland on April 10 for a week + (business, not pleasure). So please make sure you let me know the address and an amount before then, else I'll be late. I trust your judgment in deciding who to sponsor.

I agree with both choices, Sue. Like you, I think that it is very important to support those that help all of us- handlers, pet owners, lurkers, etc.- and Mark and Julie are excellent choices. I originally said that I would pay up at the Bluegrass, but I will send a check before 11 April. Please post the info- and might I suggest PMs, too? In case!

Karrin

The first five people to offer are Janet (Shoresdog), Karen (Journey), Lynn (Alchemist), Diane (Deltabluz Tess), and Kathy Flynn.

So, when I get a check from each of you for $25, I'll send your contact info to Ben (Northfield Nick) to get your free Cotswold wool skein. Everyone interested (Janet, Karen, Lynn, Kathy, Celia the yarn freak, Karrin, Lisa, and Ms Daisy Duke) will be in the drawing for Diane's yarn as soon as I receive all the checks. If you won't use the yarn, let me know so I don't put your name in the hat.

How can you beat being supportive and being eligible for free good stuff at the same time?

Hi Sue,

Put me in for a sponsorship for the Sheepdog Finals, either $25 or $30 is fine--whatever you need. Any team you pick is fine , too.

If you need another sponsorship for Anna for Cattle I can try and swing two if needed.

Send me address to send money.

Thanks for your efforts.

Great! Now we had two full sponsorships with six people each at $25. If more people offer, we might be able to do three sponsorships at $30 each (or $25, if we get really lucky).

Please do not mail your checks until after this weekend, and I can post a final amount here on Sunday (I will be gone next week) depending on how many more people (if any) offer to join in. If you've already sent a check for $25, that's okay, too. I didn't realize we would get more contributors.

I will be sending out the sponsorship checks (I'll just make out one or two checks, so make your check/money order out to me) about April 11, so I'd like to hear back/receive a check by then (those of you with "special circumstances" who have talked to me will let me know).

Thank you all and, if you have a friend or two who might like to join in the fund-raising, please pass the word along! Let's hear it for the dogs! And those who give us great advice here on the boards!

Sorry, update - I have enough people that if each would contribute $30, we could sponsor three handler/dog teams. If you have not already sent a check, would you be willing to contribute $30 rather than $25 so we can support an additional team? Please PM me or send me an email to confirm if you can or can't do $30.

And, if you have any suggestions for someone who contributes to these boards whom we could sponsor to show our thanks for their efforts here, please post here or PM or email me. Now, I wonder if Eileen is planning on running? Or Denise Wall? Or Christine Henry? Or Robin French? All folks I know who contribute here, and there might be others I don't know who might be in the Belle Vernon Finals. Ideas?

The first five people to offer are Janet (Shoresdog), Karen (Journey), Lynn (Alchemist), Diane (Deltabluz Tess), and Kathy Flynn.

So, when I get a check from each of you for $25, I'll send your contact info to Ben (Northfield Nick) to get your free Cotswold wool skein. Everyone interested (Janet, Karen, Lynn, Kathy, Celia the yarn freak, Karrin, Lisa, and Ms Daisy Duke) will be in the drawing for Diane's yarn as soon as I receive all the checks. If you won't use the yarn, let me know so I don't put your name in the hat.

How can you beat being supportive and being eligible for free good stuff at the same time?

YIPEEE! Yarn and a chance to "give back" all at once - what could be better? (yes, I'm a serious yarn freak - my mother's day present to myself each year is to go to the MD Sheep and Wool festival to watch the Border collie demonstrations and to bring home a big bag of fun yarn for some future project). I remembered to bring in an envelope and a stamp this morning, so the check is going into today's mail!

Thank you, Sue - and thanks, too, to Ben and Diane for donating the prizes! I will value anything I'm lucky enough to win!

Bumping this up in case anyone involved has not seen the latest.

We are good to go with 15 people - if each can send $30, we will sponsor three teams. Please, any suggestions for our third team? If not, I'll have to choose...

I would like to have the checks in hand (other than those who have spoken to me otherwise) by next weekend so I can send off the team requests and sponsorship money about April 11.

Thanks to all!

Bumping this up in case anyone involved has not seen the latest.

We are good to go with 15 people - if each can send $30, we will sponsor three teams. Please, any suggestions for our third team? If not, I'll have to choose...

I would like to have the checks in hand (other than those who have spoken to me otherwise) by next weekend so I can send off the team requests and sponsorship money about April 11.

Thanks to all!

What about Christine Henry, Candy Kennedy, or Robin French? Being that I am still a pre-novice (even less qualified than the "low-quality" folk :rolleyes:), I am not sure about cutoff dates for the Finals, but they are all in the top 150 now, I think.

I am sure that others will have more to say!

Karrin

I will not have internet access from Monday morning until Saturday evening this week. I will try and post on Saturday to let all know if their checks have arrived. Thank you all for your support!

I have received checks from Amy C, Karrin B, Janet E, Carolyn C (2), Donna K, Kathy F, and Lynn R. And I know a few more are on the way. When I've gotten them, I will pay for the sponsorships either by check or through PayPal, as they've set up an account where you can include your handler/team choices.

It's all coming together, thanks to you guys!

Archived