BC Boards

Questions about a doggie door

I have been looking around for a doggie door for our sliding patio door. Does anyone around here have one or has had one of them? What brand would you recommend? Been looking at this one http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PetSafe-LARGE-DOG-...=item3ca2d7ecd2

If you own your home I would put it in a wall or in an exterior door. The ones I've seen don't seal well and have problems.

I just bought what ever Lowe's had. Have had it for going on 5yrs. and it has seen lots of action, up to 6 dogs using it! It is fine still, but in the winter or summer, if the wind is blowing just right, it can blow in cold or hot. But the convenience it affords out weighs that! Jacksons favorite thing is to lay on the floor with his head hanging out! He gets to keep an eye on grizzly bears, but still gets to be close to me! He has it figured out! He stays warm/cool, and still gets to "hang out" outside!

Some people don't like them, I can't imagine life without one!

Forgot to mention that patio doors don't come in standard sizes so you will want to measure your patio door pretty carefully before you order the dog door. Those websites have good instructions for measuring.

Also, at least in my case the patio door has two tracks (glass door and screen door) and multiple lips that form those tracks, so even after you get your door you may find yourself fooling around with different ways to fit it into the tracks and their associated lips. In summer I have the dog door line up with the edge of the screen door and in winter I move it so it lines up with the edge of the glass door. And it took a shim to make it work. Just a warning that the whole patio door project can turn out to be a little more complicated than it seem. The customer service folks at Moore Pet were helpful.

Thanks for all of your help on this, I will do my research before I buy it. I usually just leave the patio door open enough for jack to go out or for the cats to come in but with it being so cold I can't. Jack is worse than one of the kids when they were little about wanting in and out, to the kids I could say "either stay out or stay in" I try that with jack and he looks at me with those "puppy dog eyes" and his little head turns from right to left and I can't help but to let him in or out.