BC Boards

Moving's hard on a guy...

Ooky

Well, we did it! We have moved :D I am so excited about our new place - it is cheaper yet better than our old house, in a better neighborhood by far (no more waking up to gun shots, yay!), 25-minute round trip commute (vs. 2.5 hours) for me and Odin, and we can walk to all sorts of stuff - like we are in walking distance of Japantown - which is awesome. It's not the ranch I wanted yet, but we can keep saving for that and will get there someday.

Odin does NOT think it is so great, however. He was very stressed and exhausted from the whole process. The puppy who cannot be physically tired out was wiped out on Sunday afternoon while we unpacked, curled into a tight little mopey ball. When I petted him, he gave lots of sad eyes and forlorn kisses, which is not his normal self! When awake, he has been following me around from room to room, whining softly (that started once packing really got underway).

On the other hand, Dr. Benway loves the new place. Unlike normal earth felines, he was thrilled to explore the whole new place upon arriving on Sunday (we left him at the old place until we finished moving all the stuff). He was purring, vocal, and rolling all over his new wall-to-wall carpeting. He only rolls like that when he is really happy. Aren't cats supposed to HATE moving and dogs be fine with it? :rolleyes::D

We set up Odin's crate but it doesn't seem to bring him much comfort. OTOH, Benway's arrival saw him the happiest he'd been in 2 days! They were frolicking up and down the stairs (Benway luurves stairs) and Odin was just following him around and sniffing him happily. I expect Odin to adjust quickly, but any tips on helping out with that?

Just give it some time. It took my guys a good month to get really settled in and act like they thought it was home. I didn't really do anything special to help them get used to it. They just did over time.

It's funny now to think that they have lived in our "new" place way longer than they had lived at our old place!

Congrats on the move! We did it two years ago and was hell for us, but Ouzo took it like a big boy and never missed a beat - he loved his new stairs - he never had indoor stairs before and discovered the joy of pushing balls down them and rushing to catch them at the other end :D That's until we discovered we have downstairs neighbors who are not keen on the banging noise on their ceilling :rolleyes:

Congratulations!

You know what's funny? We bought a house at the end of the summer and I was REALLY worried about Daisy adjusting. I'm mean, she's got issues on a good day! She actually adjusted quite well. I didn't even notice anything different in her behaviour at all! That was really weird! I think she really liked going from no back yard to a nice big fenced corner lot. It also helped that I was at the house painting for a few days before we actually moved in and I would take her with me every time with some of her toys and her bed etc. to get her used to it.

I am sure Odin will adjust just fine, give him a couple of days!

I agree. He will be fine. He will be naturally stressed out just as you were whilst moving, only he doesn't understand it. We moved when my girl was 14 months i think and before that she had grown up in a 1 bedroom flat with a driveway. I thought we would have issues because she's such a sensitive dog but i was wrong. She ran around like a maniac from the front yard to the back yard through all 5 bedrooms, growling at mirrors and leaping off stairs. She just loved it, i was so surprised. Saying that she didn't sleep so well. So her crate was in our bedroom for a while. But she got over it pretty quick.

Well, we did it! We have moved :D I am so excited about our new place - it is cheaper yet better than our old house, in a better neighborhood by far (no more waking up to gun shots, yay!), 25-minute round trip commute (vs. 2.5 hours) for me and Odin, and we can walk to all sorts of stuff - like we are in walking distance of Japantown - which is awesome. It's not the ranch I wanted yet, but we can keep saving for that and will get there someday.

Odin does NOT think it is so great, however. He was very stressed and exhausted from the whole process. The puppy who cannot be physically tired out was wiped out on Sunday afternoon while we unpacked, curled into a tight little mopey ball. When I petted him, he gave lots of sad eyes and forlorn kisses, which is not his normal self! When awake, he has been following me around from room to room, whining softly (that started once packing really got underway).

On the other hand, Dr. Benway loves the new place. Unlike normal earth felines, he was thrilled to explore the whole new place upon arriving on Sunday (we left him at the old place until we finished moving all the stuff). He was purring, vocal, and rolling all over his new wall-to-wall carpeting. He only rolls like that when he is really happy. Aren't cats supposed to HATE moving and dogs be fine with it? :rolleyes::D

We set up Odin's crate but it doesn't seem to bring him much comfort. OTOH, Benway's arrival saw him the happiest he'd been in 2 days! They were frolicking up and down the stairs (Benway luurves stairs) and Odin was just following him around and sniffing him happily. I expect Odin to adjust quickly, but any tips on helping out with that?

Hugs and cookies :D. Congratulations on your new place! Moving is quite an undertaking.

Liz

Daisy and I moved this weekend, too. And on top of that, we took in a new foster (because I am insane - but he's only here short term. Just needed a place to crash until his real fosters were available). But Daisy hasn't been fazed in the least. More space and a fenced yard definitely helped ease the transition. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that she has started methodically testing the fence for weaknesses because she's spending more and more time sniffing around the edges of the yard :rolleyes:

She is also thrilled about stairs. We'll have to see if she gets into the ball dropping game that Anda mentioned.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the kind wishes and encouragement! Odin is doing much better as we settle in. Anda, Ouzo must have sent Odin a telegram because he's also started throwing his toys down the stairs. What a racket! A frightening moment came when he started throwing one of his favorite toys, a deer antler he found in the field, down the stairs. I was walking by and this heavy, 14-inch long projectile sharpened by months of chewing came flying at my head - AUUGHH! Then came Odin, with a full-on case of the zoomies, in close pursuit. We had to have a little settling time after that, and put the antler away for awhile, but I'll admit it cracked me up and I was very happy to see him perky and having fun again.