BC Boards

good news

I didn't mention this before (worried about jinxing :rolleyes: ) but it looks like things actually worked out and we are getting access to sheep...starting this weekend! :D

A BC owner north of Munich has finally gotten her own little flock, and she wants to help finance it by offering herding lessons to folks (and dogs) like us. I have no idea how good or how professional she is, but since I have no competetive ambitions (let alone the money for trialing :eek: ) it doesn't matter so much. I just want Kessie to be able to be a BC every now and again, instead of "just" the most amazing dog on earth.

Mum seems to think that Kyla can't be allowed to work yet, because she isn't obedient enough yet...I thought that wasn't necessary? We'll see, she's coming along and the owner of the sheep will have to decide. I think it would do the little devil some good!

I really hope this works out so that it can become some kind of permanent arrangement! The other place where we've had lessons before is just too far away.

We're either starting tomorrow or on Sunday, unless it's totally nasty on both days...wish us some luck with the weather

Thanks, and I really hope Kyla gets a chance! She's not bad at all IMO, but for someone who wasn't very interested in dogs before meeting Kessie, she must really seem like a little monster . Let's hope this lady disagrees about her monstrousness!

How exciting! Yes, take Kyla too!

Kipp is an absolute stinker at times. Put him on sheep and he is a different dog (well, almost). He is much more focused, and listens much better when sheep are in the picture. It wasn't an instant turn around, but it was within 4-5 times on sheep.

Yeah, we're really lucky with the winter! Normally there would be snow at this time of year...and I've never heard of hobby-herding in the snow :rolleyes: .

Even if we can only do this once or twice before the snow comes, it would still be fantastic!

Kipp is an absolute stinker at times. Put him on sheep and he is a different dog (well, almost).
I can easily imagine this happening to Kyla too! She does want to be helpful.

Thanks! Yes, Kessie did quite well the two times we took lessons so far...she's not as "driven" as I wish she was, but very thoughtful and sensitive about the pressure she put on the sheep (I'm too much of a newbie to explain it any better ). She jumped out of the pen when the trainer was too rough with her, but if a sheep challenged her she stood up to it.

Being a rescue with no papers, she's got nothing to prove at all, but I'm still proud as h*ll of her .

She's been doing "my" stuff with me for so long...I'm grinning my fool head off at the chance to do "her stuff" with her once more :rolleyes: .

She's been doing "my" stuff with me for so long...I'm grinning my fool head off at the chance to do "her stuff" with her once more
What a nice way of putting it ! Wish you all the best and am a little envious but we have our first agility lesson next weekend so we a really excited about that. Doing my sun dance for us both. Don't forget to post pics.

I hope you get better weather than this for the agility lesson!

It's raining here...wonder if we'll hear from her today.

Maybe it isn't raining down there at all... it's mostly the wind squishing the clouds against the mountains that makes our weather so "special", and the sheep may be far enough away from the mountains to stay dry...I hate waiting.

Congrats! Nothing like having access to sheep to make a BC and her person happy!

Dublin and I got to work sheep for the first time in about 8 months (he was on restricted activity for much of the summer and only got to do anything "sheepy" 2 times over the summer - neither lasted very long). I think the conclusion after the lesson last week was that Dublin didn't forget anything - in fact he actually improved a *little* bit in that he wasn't as prone to diving in when things weren't going his way. Me, on the other hand - well, I couldn't remember which way was what on the flanks :rolleyes: Doesn't matter that I have a little diagram on my office wall that I see every day - I have the biggest mental block when it comes to those...I'm thinking of having them tattoed on the back of my hands... :D

Thanks, but believe it or not, my car broke down! No sh*t! :mad: :mad:

This is only the second time in about six years of driving that I had any car trouble at all...and it had to be today!

We stopped at a traffic light and when it went green, I couldn't shift beyond second gear anymore. On the bright side, it's just some plastic part, nothing too expensive, but...h*ll!

Luckily we have another chance tomorrow (and if she was willing to do it in this weather, it will hardly be able to get much worse tomorrow). Let's see if Mum's car breaks down too!

I'm glad Dublin can go back to sheep now! Restricted activity is my worst nightmare. We never even made it to proper flanks yet, but maybe we'll get around to that someday, now that the sheep are closer

Doing my sun dance for us both
It seems to have been the Snow Dance, you confused them...Kessie is sending cold wet happy kisses for that! :rolleyes:

I'm sure she will! She enjoyed it the last two times, but the second time we had to different trainers in one day and I screwed up completely, since the second one tried to teach us the opposite of something the first one had been doing. A new start will be good!

So, we're right back where we were yesterday at the same time: really looking forward to the sheep (but carless, for now) :rolleyes: .

Heard nothing of her today :rolleyes: . Apparently she didn't drive out to the sheep since she'd already been there yesterday, without us and our dang car. I've REALLY jinxed this up.

So, I will keep my mouth shut from now on and be really pessimistic and NOT get my hopes up for next weekend ... *whispers* because if we can go on Kessie's Gotcha Day...how cool would that be?

Hey there! I feel your pain! For many years I wanted to work mine but had only very rare access. Now I am the most lucky person on earth as I have found a guy that brings his sheep to my house once a week!

This gets his dogs in different environment as well. I met him at the Houston Livestock Show and him and his wife have quickly become great friends that actually compete quite regularly and have been great help to me.

Hope you get back on track soon. Most of all never quit having fun!

Hi, welcome to the boards!

Once a week! That is awesome!! Envy, envy

Hope you get back on track soon. Most of all never quit having fun!
Thanks, and I don't think I could stop having fun while doing anything together with Kessie...except, maybe, snowball soccer with wet cold feet .

I hate snow! I miss it at christmas time but the rest of the year....
As a kid, I spent one Christmas in Florida with my parents...I'm not a Christmas person at all, but hearing songs like "Winter Wonderland" in the middle of the Everglades did feel wrong :rolleyes:

My dog loves snow, so at least someone is happy about it!