BC Boards

flyball with realllly small dogs?

Is there a miniature version of flyball? Mia would be fabulous in it, she's crazy about tennis balls and fetch. But her mouth is way too small to hold a regular sized tennis ball. She's only 5 lbs and 9 inches tall.

I know nothing about flyball, just agility but I've been thinking about flyball more and more.

I think it's because JRTs are common that she'll be popular. When Komet was the height dog for our team, there weren't a whole lot of Schnauzers, but now those are aren't so rare anymore down here. Although I must say that Flyball has gotten noisier these past few years, maybe there's a correlation.

Thanks! I didn't know if there was a standardized tennis ball or anything. We play fetch with the mini tennis balls. I've never seen a dog as tiny as her play but I think she'd absolutely love it. She loves fetch more than any dog I've owned, retrievers included. :rolleyes:

No, that's what I meant. The four-different-breeds teams (I forget what the term is) need, well, four different breeds and putting together a fast team that isn't made up entirely of Border Collies, JRTs, or mixes of one or the other can be difficult, n'est-ce pas?

Most teams wouldn't want to run two height dogs on the same team, and Multibreed isn't that popular in all regions, especially now with the Open and Vet divisions. In the NW, they don't even offer Multibreed. Regardless of your breed of height dog, speedy height dogs are always popular and welcome! :-)

Small dogs even ones not that speedy are usually loved by most teams. Many type of balls are legal in flyball including cat balls. Find a team in your area and check the clubs out.

Small dogs are so much fun to watch. They are crowd pleasers. When my toy poodle runs the crowds think it is a hoot.

Thanks guys! I have to wait a while for her to finish growing, she's only just turned 6 months. But I'm trying to figure out a way to put this tennis ball obsession to good use, lol. Oh and she is FAST when she wants to be. She's quite the little fire cracker.

Is there a miniature version of flyball? Mia would be fabulous in it, she's crazy about tennis balls and fetch. But her mouth is way too small to hold a regular sized tennis ball. She's only 5 lbs and 9 inches tall.

I know nothing about flyball, just agility but I've been thinking about flyball more and more.

Here are a couple of the height dogs on my team, the X-Fidos (http://www.x-fidos.org/)...

Eli, a somewhat large but really cool pap:

2e5428b0.jpg

Speedy the chihuahua mix:

3a1fd680.jpg

Kodi the pomeranian:

4a9ecec0.jpg

They all use either the medium (smaller than standard) or really small sized tennis balls.

Edit! Can't leave out Nigel, our three-legged border collie/spaniel mix flyball dog, who is also an all-star therapy dog:

4985eae0.jpg

If you are seriously thinking of flyball right now is the best time to start training some of the aspects of flyball. You should try to hook up with a team now and they can show you what you can do now to get her ready.

When I say serious I mean it's something I'd like to try. I'm not all that competitive and I don't really care if we win or lose. For me it's all about doing something I think Mia would enjoy.

Here she is waiting on a tennis ball throw:

wiats.jpg

And fetching

sprint.jpg

Eli is precious, I love split faced paps! It's really cool to see the little dogs playing. I love seeing people doing something with their toy dogs.

We also have a papillon our club. Tilt does not get to play very often as he had some shoulder issues in the past and some passing issues. He learned the game at the age of 7 yrs. When he does get to run he is a ton of fun to watch.

Our club height dogs: my toy poodle, 3 jrts, 1 cairn, papillon, boston terrier in training and if we chose to run higher jumps we have my borderjack. Trust me this group of height dogs except my borderjack are not speed demons but they have fun and so do the owners.

Find some teams in your area and meet up with them. It can take some time to find a club you mesh with.