BC Boards

OCD

desertranger

OCD is known behavior for BCs in varying degrees of severity. I think that without some sort of OCD the BC probably wouldn't have in interest in sheep at all. I'm trying to find out if:

There's a limit to that kind of behavior?

Can anything be done about it?

At what point do you consider it out of hand?

Jin is total ball OCD. Out for a walk I've stopped to talk to people and he drops to a lie down or crouch and holds it for minutes waiting for me to toss a ball. Jin could probably set a Guinness record for down stay that way. About the only time he doesn't respond to a ball is when he's on a leash and I use it to draw his aggression away from other dogs, which doesn't always work BTW.

Jin is total ball OCD. Out for a walk I've stopped to talk to people and he drops to a lie down or crouch and holds it for minutes waiting for me to toss a ball. Jin could probably set a Guinness record for down stay that way.

Maybe you should meet Rhys bach, my foster. He loves his ball and when he's at the park, he will run up to a random stranger and do this:

P1040214-crop.jpg

He will hold that crouch until the person throws the ball or moves away (and he will run ahead of the person and do the drop & crouch repeatedly until the person caves or actually leaves the park).

P1040221-crop.jpg

[After some honing and perfecting the approach, he is now very close to achieving 100% success rate.]

What you are describing is a learned response that was originally stimulated by prey drive (desire to chase). It is not ocd. You could allow/encourage it until it reached that point of course.

Obsessive/compulsive behaviors don't stop on their own, and the animal does not enjoy them. If you look at the difference between the dog of a ocd ball thowing human (dogs eyes are shining, alert, and the "game" is on) and a dog that is in an ocd behavior like pacing (dogs eyes are glazed, tension in the face/mouth as the dog struggles to maintain the behavior exactly as it has trained itself to do so)

I think any intelligent/sensitive being, including humans, is always at risk of self calming to handle the stress of what is going on around them. The difference between coping, and ocd, is often a very slim line. Do you bite your nails? a little? to the point of blood?

I don't think Border Collies are ocd prone. I think the stupid humans that often get them for the wrong reasons are prone to creating ocd in a sensitive and intelligent animal. Mostly because they don't know what else to do with them, and sometimes just because its funny. I've seen a lot of ocd dogs that started out a "cute" - lazer pointer chasers for example.

OCD can affect an animal's (dog, human, what-have-you) ability to function normally. It is an anxiety-driven behavior and it is an [unsuccessful] attempt by the dog to relieve the anxiety.

What your dog is doing is not OCD, or even close. Having a high ball drive or being really, really fond of a toy is not the same thing as OCD.

So in that case is Jin's attention to the ball just his instinct to herd sheep? I can control that in the field by giving him more than one ball to work with.

Q: does his ignoring a treat when playing with a ball indicate OCD por just attention to the "job"

I don't think Border Collies are ocd prone. I think the stupid humans that often get them for the wrong reasons are prone to creating ocd in a sensitive and intelligent animal. Mostly because they don't know what else to do with them, and sometimes just because its funny. I've seen a lot of ocd dogs that started out a "cute" - lazer pointer chasers for example.

I've seen that. A black lab, Bonzo, is laser crazy. Based on what you said I've had 2 BC with unacceptable behavior that I would tend to call OCD. Fuzzer chased dust motes , flashlight beams and light reflections. Bas licked a door jamb and on a glass door. Couldn't get either to stop.

No just confused today. Too much reading and too many books on BCs. and most of it seems to be BS. I've been forgetting what I've learned about training dogs and should remember any idiot can write a book.

Maybe you should meet Rhys bach, my foster. He loves his ball and when he's at the park, he will run up to a random stranger and do this:

P1040214-crop.jpg

He will hold that crouch until the person throws the ball or moves away (and he will run ahead of the person and do the drop & crouch repeatedly until the person caves or actually leaves the park).

P1040221-crop.jpg

[After some honing and perfecting the approach, he is now very close to achieving 100% success rate.]

I think I love Rhys bach (and not just because he has the coolest name ever). Those are great pictures and there is no way on earth I could resist throwing a ball for a dog that did that, too cute!

I think I love Rhys bach (and not just because he has the coolest name ever). Those are great pictures and there is no way on earth I could resist throwing a ball for a dog that did that, too cute!

This is a dog who came to me scared and sad and with a tail that was constantly tucked between his legs to the extent that I actually had to feel him to see if he need neutering (he did). From there to where he is now has been an awesome journey. His mission in life is to train everybody he meets to throw his ball.

BTW: Rhys (pr. Rh-EE-s) is a common Welsh name that roughly translates as passion, enthusiasm. The suffix bach (with a gutteral ch similar to Scottish loch) simply means little (m.) or boy.