BC Boards

Nothing But Bad News

My wife and I may be forced to give up our youngest dog Dave. We are beginning to think that our lifestyle is not meant for Dave. Many of you who know me know that we moved from the west to the east a couple of years ago. We brought three dogs with us. Mac who is now seven and Dave's brother. Pete who is now five and Dave's father and Dave of course who was a small puppy when we moved. We moved from a country setting with a fishing lodge and small farm to city life in the part of the country who has no clue about dogs especially herding dogs. I have trained Dave to do goose work and stock work but I have very little access to farms. Dave is OK at goose work but has a very high drive for stock work and should be in a working setting every day. We are becoming convinced that Dave belongs on a farm or ranch in a working setting. Dave and his father come from exceptional working stock ( send me a PM and I will explain ). We certainly do not want to give up Dave but there is no chance we will be returning to rural life. There is no chance that we could put Dave into a working setting where we live now. We are going to look into sending Dave back out west but whatever we do we want Dave to go to a home, setting and the right ownership. Everybody wants Dave and we are frequently asked if we would be willing to sell Dave but there is no way we will allow Dave to go to a home that would keep him in his current situation. There is no way someone who knows nothing about border collies should be associated with Dave. We really don't know what to do or how to go about this. If we cannot find the right situation for Dave we will keep him and perhaps he will adjust as he gets older but our current life is the wrong situation for Dave. This may be proof that BC's that are bred from outstanding and proven working stock do not belong off the farm.

I'm very sorry for you that it's come to this, but I bless you for looking out for Dave's best interests.

May you find a perfect home for him.

You say Pete is Dave's sire; who is the dam? Could the dam's owner help you place the dog (or did you also own the dam)? I think I would start with the breeders from whom you got your dogs (Mac and Pete). That person should know the lines well and with that knowledge should be able to help you find potential homes where Dave could thrive as a working dog.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this, but I commend you for having Dave's best interests at heart.

J.

I know it must be heartbreaking to give a dog up, but you are doing what is best for your dog and should be commended for it! I agree that a place to start is to contact the breeder. My mom is a breeder and always asks that the owners contact her first if things don't work out so that she can either take the dog back, or find an appropriate home. Good luck.

I'm sorry to hear of this, but I must add a word of warning - make double, triple, quadruple sure that whatever home Dave goes to *fully* understands the behaviors you have seen, especially the aggression you've noted several times over the last few months. Liability is a serious thing and if he's a bite risk, then you need to make sure that the home he goes to is a special one; not many people want a dog that has shown aggression in the past and it is not ethical to gloss it over in the hopes that it will disappear immediately in the "right" setting.

I'm sorry to hear of this, but I must add a word of warning - make double, triple, quadruple sure that whatever home Dave goes to *fully* understands the behaviors you have seen, especially the aggression you've noted several times over the last few months. Liability is a serious thing and if he's a bite risk, then you need to make sure that the home he goes to is a special one; not many people want a dog that has shown aggression in the past and it is not ethical to gloss it over in the hopes that it will disappear immediately in the "right" setting.

I have to second this. If he goes to a remote ranch and is busy all the time and only ever been aggressive with strangers and not you, the owner, the chances are he could be happy and very useful in that environment. (I think your problem always involved taking him out in public to "perform" basically and interaction with strangers right?) But it's still important - ethically and legally speaking - to let people know the situations that set him off.

Thanks everyone, I hope I am doing the right thing, this is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I don't mind saying I may be dragging my feet a little, there is something about this dog that is special and I can't put my finger on it. There is something that makes me love this dog and drives me to find the answer. Dave may go back to the breeder and the farm. As you point out Dave has some problems and I will not let him go to just anyone. I will keep him and deal with all his troubles if I cannot find the perfect people and situation for him but I have promised I won't stop trying. Dave is extremely attached and I need a situation where he can be what he is, be understood for what he is and be loved for it. Here he is.

post-8823-1254855596_thumb.jpg