BC Boards

Chuck needs your good thoughts and vibes

sea4th

I'm worried about Chuck. I took him in to be neutered today, since his mishap. I posted of that mishap a few days ago in the Health section. The only thing I can figure how it happened is Chuck can cleaar the 6 foot chain link enclosure. I took steps to remedy it, but not before he tore the scrotal sac leaving the exposed testicle. (picture peeling the rind off an orange).

Chuck's a young dog, but I just got a call from the vet that his EKG came back abnormal and he has a really slow heart rate. With a couple of shots of atropine(?) his heart rate came up to 110, still not high enough, but we decided to take the chance, since the surgery is necessary.

I've really taken a liking to the Chuckster. From a blank slate, he's shown himself to be a quick study, a kind dog, although a big goof. He's like a bull in a china shop.

He's young. I'd be crushed if he didn't make it. So send some good and healing thoughts his way. I think the Chuckster is going to need every bit of help he can get.

Thanks.

Vicki

This is Chuck when I introduced him here a few months ago.

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=23435

Just heard from the vet. Your well wishes must have worked. Chuck came through the surgery OK -- as far as his heart is concerned. All the scrotal sac was removed, so from what they say, he might have more swelling than usual. He was barely out of the anesthetic when he went for the sutures, so they slapped an Elizabethan collar on him which he's going to have to live in for a while.

No more do-it-yourself neuters here. One time is enough and I cringe to see the bill.

BTW, the Chuckster is the one responsible for making my knee all better by biting it.

I am far away from Jin and to hear both bad news and good in a single posting is very emotionial right now. I am glade Chuckster is doing alright and I send him lots of hugs.

Thank you from me and Thank you from Chuck. What the vet told me -- and sorry if I don't get terminology correct, but each testicle is fed by a blood vessel, which, and she drew me a visual, is normally about -- what looked like --- about a quarter inch in width. In the unaffected testicle, this was the case -- normal. In the "peeled like an orange " exposed testicle, it was about an inch or more in width, swelling, edema. It was a mess and there was not enough scrotal sac to suture back up. She had to take a flap of skin and suture it over the affected area. She said to expect more than usual swelling.

What amazes me is that Chuck must have an incredibly high tolerance for pain, because until I caught him licking himself last week, I would not have looked because his behavior wasn't really off, which would have led me to suspect something was wrong.

What worries me most is that Elizabethan collar -- keeping it on while I'm at work.

With my rescue, I've become pretty adept with keeping e-collars on uncooperative dogs. :rolleyes: First, make sure it's attached to a regular dog collar which you then snug up pretty tightly. You can use gauze strips to tie the e-collar to the dog collar, or like my permanent "cone of shame", use wire ties. Don't clip off the wire ties and leave the long ends outside the e-collar, alongside the plastic. For the hard core cases, you may have to use duct tape on the seam where the collar folds over on itself. We had a Corgi mix who went through five collars and two crates and who managed to chew open her spay sutures before I managed the combo that stuck - wire ties, duct tape, and a Kennel Aire Commander crate. Good luck!

Debbie Nosse

Tri-State Corgi Rescue

tscorgirescue.petfinder.com <- home of Princess, the 75lb Corgi

...snip...

What worries me most is that Elizabethan collar -- keeping it on while I'm at work.