BC Boards

OT - When did this start?

Went to the bank today. As I stood at the teller's window, I noticed some flyers stacked nearby for interested parties to take. The bank is looking to hire and besides all the other usual info, the flier listed benefits. The last benefit listed, which they offer their employees is pet insurance. HUH?

I don't know the details, but the fact that it is even offered at all really took me aback.

Anyone else hear of this?

Pet insurance is becoming a really big thing. Dogster.com is really going for it - they have had it on their home page for ages:

http://www.dogster.com/vpi/

It is one of the prizes for the photo contest they are having too! I know some people who have gotten it already...

Pet insurance is becoming a really big thing
Yes, it certainly is catching on, but what got my attention is that it's offered as a part of a benefit package by an employer, and non-animal business besides.

As a single mom, some years ago, it would not have been feasible for me to get a job which didn't offer health benefits. So while some employers offered better benefits than others, the thought of insurance for pets was way out there.

Maybe I'm dating myself by being amazed, but I'm amazed.

I work at a large teaching facility and in the past few weeks I have heard of two companies that offer pet insurance as benifits. One is a large telecommunications co. Kansas City. The other was a small company. So it is out there, yeah enlightinment has arrived. I can also tell you the university I work for, DOES NOT offer this as an option :rolleyes:

Andrea D.

Wow, I've never heard of that before. That is really neat! I hope it does catch on. We were just talking with friends about Zeeke's medical issues and the costs and the fact we don't have pet insurance - and that the ones I've seen don't cover enough to make it worthwhile.

Yes, I have heard of pet insurance being offered as a perk. I work in human resources and I know that there are firms who are competing for a limited number of qualified persons....so...up go the 'perks'. This is similar to be offered a health club/golf membership, etc. etc. I can't get my boss to go for pet insurance either :rolleyes:

There are places that offer dog walking or doggie daycare as a benefit for their employees. I think that some companies offer a selection--choose six items from the list... or 2 from this list, 2 from this list, and 2 from this one... something like that. People with dogs obviously would go for drycleaning or in-office foot massage instead of doggie daycare or whatever.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com