BC Boards

Is this wrong?

I browse craigslist as well as petfinder to see what is out there. We have been considering a 2nd dog for some time now. I have fallen in love with Indo at Great Lakes BC Rescue, but getting him would not be an easy feat, so I have tried to put him out of my mind. Although he sounds like a dream for anyone in that area.

Yesterday I saw an ad for a BC on craigslist in my area. The woman is moving and "cannot" take him. He is three months old. I asked about his origins and she said that her sister-in-law owns the sire and her friend owns the dam. She stated he is ABCA registered, as well as both parents. This was obviously not the ideal breeding. I am awaiting some photos of the little guy. She is asking $150 adoption fee for him. I am on the fence about this pup. I am sure he is adorable and I am going to be tempted to take him. I may just be a little weary because of Zoey's origins (puppymill). I definately don't want to support poor breeding practices of any kind ever again and I obviously do not agree with this particular situation......Opinions????

Lauren

I would ask if she can provide info/lineage from the parents of the Sire and Dam. If both parents are ABCA registered, you and or she should be able to get that info??? I would also want to meet both parents if at all possible, and talk to the Vet's of both parents. Asking questions of the Dr's about health of parents as well as temperment, and how well they were taken care of themselves etc. This should all give you a better idea if they are "puppymill" pups, or, even if not deliberately well bred by a professional breeder, at the very least, not poorly bred???? If that makes sense??

Let us know... good luck

FYI I know Indo personally and he is one of the nicest dogs I have ever met. He even gets on well with my girl which can be a feat. Maggie and I hang out with his foster dad at the park during the school year and he too is a great guy.

On the pup - sounds like a selling price rather than an adoption fee. I definitely second getting more info - since you have access to info on the parents especially.

Indo is really tugging at my heart strings, but to get him from Indiana to Florida is just not possible. He sounds like a dream and I cannot believe how long he has been in foster care. I truly gasped the first time I saw his picture.

Lauren

Lauren - If you are really interested in Indo, and MaggieDog knows him and sounds like she recommends him, how about seeing if board members could set up a transport? There are also rescue groups that set up transports and maybe could work him into their system - Great Lakes, Buckeye, Blue Ridge, Mid-Atlantic, Carolina, and on south from there?

Great Lakes to Florida - how about members, who might be located along that "line" and be able/willing to drive a leg? Or, who might know someone in trucking or other distance driving that might be able to take along a passenger?

It might not work out but, then again, it might. I'm in North-Central WV and would be willing to do something in either direction from here. I am hoping to drive to Richmond VA area for Labor Day weekend, and will be going to northern VA next Saturday and probably again sometime in August.

Yea transport could be possible, tho I dunno if GLBCR has policies about transporting dogs out of the region.

We do have the stickie in the Rescue Dogs section that is specifically there to give people a reference when looking to set up a transport.

I won't be back in the area until August, but if you want I could email Indo's foster dad and ask about out of region adoptions if you'd like.

Edited to add: Checked out the transport thread. Looks like we have people in the area around the travel course: IN, KY, NC, SC, WV

I live in Southern Maryland and could transport say from Northern Md. or Delaware border to the Northern Va area. or from my So. Md. area to say Richmond....

I'm close to Richmond and go down I-40 to the Winston-Salem area all the time. I could go further to the Charlotte area or over the border pretty easily.

I emailed the foster home a couple of weeks ago and he said that they have done out of region before, but the big question was how I would get him. Of course I could drive a leg, I am in Jacksonville, almost in Georgia, so that would make it easier.

The deal maker/breaker will be getting approved since I live in condo and that may not be kosher.

I need to seriously discuss with DH and then fill out the application.

Lauren

I don't know how Indo does in a crate - he was abusively crated before he came into rescue; his back legs were so atrophied he couldn't move very well at first I do believe.