BC Boards

Clicker Training Older Dog?

My dog is pretty bright, and loves it when I play a game where he can earn a treat for doing what I ask. He reeeeeally loves a mental challenge, and will play "hide the rawhide bone" for hours if I let him. The more difficult the search, the happier he is.

I've never used clicker training for any dog, and believe from watching y'all's videos that it's a great way to communicate with a dog who wants to learn.

My question: Have any of you switched to clicker training with a dog over 6? Is it difficult to make as much progress?

Thanks!

Mary

We had a foster, Pepper, who was eightish and she caught on extreamly fast. Tripp was 5-6ish when he came to our house to be fostered, and he picked it up quickly as well.

We use a clicker for training tricks. Ceana and Poke both love when it is time for "learning."

Sammie was 6 or 7 when I started clicker training with him and Maddie was probably 5 or 6. They can definitely learn, even as older dogs.

I found that all three of my originals, who were crossover from straight lure/reward, took some time to get the idea of offering behaviors, but all of them caught on and once they "got it", they truly came to enjoy shaping games with the clicker.

Another vote for "never too old!" I bet he will love it. Just start the same way you would with any age dog -- "load" the clicker. For the first few days, just do session where you click and then immediately treat. Do this until you clearly see the dog make the connection that click=treat. Also practice your own timing with the click. You can do this by bouncing a ball and clicking when the ball hits the ground. Have fun!

• 4 weeks later...

strongly recommend karen pryor's book reaching the animal mind. this is an amazing read. My older westie is slow to catch on to clicker training but just loves it and has made her very interested in training ...........even if not good at it......yet . My bc loves it........very responsive......crazy smart.......just the suff he needs.

get the book.....seriously

I 2nd the recommendation of Karen Pryor's book, "Reaching the Animal Mind". I too have had great success with clicker training an older dog. She's another dog that was mainly used to and taught with the lure/reward method.

Michele &

Gyp &

Chase

I think he will amaze you with his progress. Honestly, I think they learn as fast if not even a bit better due to already knowing how to manipulate us in some way. Especially our old companions. Have a grand time!

Sometimes this happens, but sometimes crossover dogs get stuck on a very strong default behavior and they won't budge! That happened with both of my mutts when I started clicker with them.

Doggie Zen can help with that, as well as "Click for Anything". You can also toss treats to move the dog out of a sit or down if that's the unbudgable default, and click the dog for actually getting up and moving. That wouldn't technically be free shaping, but it can teach the dog that something other than the default will earn the clicks and once the dog understands that, he will probably start to offer tiny behaviors.