BC Boards

Eating Dirt

Laura L

Some of my dogs have been digging small holes in the yard and eating some of the dirt. Over the weekend, someone said that it's because they're short on a nutrient, but could say which one. Anybody have any clues? They all eat Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice. There are only 4 out of 9 that are doing it, it's not all of them.

Thanks,

Laura

JJ's done that before. He found a favorite spot and would eat from there. Because our dirt is red, I could tell when he decide to eat some. :rolleyes: He also enjoyed eating some of our compost when it arrived.

Jake used to dig looking for grubs or underground mushrooms but until we realized what he was doing, it looked like he was eating the dirt.

A missing nutrient might or might not be the reason. They might just think the dirt tastes good.

ETA: Once Jake got use to his high protein diet (EVO RF), he stopped looking for grubs and mushrooms.

Iron is a common deficiency that causes animals to eat dirt. Garlic can cause anemia, which would cause a craving for iron. An imbalance in any of the minerals might cause a dirt craving.

I rotate foods, just in case. Too many studies are out regarding the consequences of poorly balanced diets (including heart failure). If I had a dog that suddenly started eating dirt or craving new foods on a particular diet I wouldn't bother feeding it again.

It looks like the other dog eating dirt was also eating Diamond brand food. That does make me suspicious.

Every dog at my house wants to eat dirt right now. They ate dirt when they were on Purina Pro Plan and they eat dirt when I feed them the Diamond Chicken and Rice. They are all grazing in the grass alot right now also. I think maybe it is just the time of year.