BC Boards

Feeding eggs to dogs

KrisK

My Muscovy ducks are laying more eggs than I can manage (good ducks!!) I boil eggs for the dogs and want to know if feeding them an egg each day is too much. I do reduce their dry food by a bit when they do get an egg. Any thoughts?

If you are feeding kibble and want to keep the diet balanced the general rule is no more than 20% of their calories from snacks. Can you look up how many calories are in each egg and how many calories per cup in the kibble you are using?

The average egg is only around 60 calories, I think. You might want to add a little ground up eggshell for calcium -- 1/8 tsp per egg. Also, sometimes I freeze eggs for my dogs (remove from shells and put in small containers). So that's an option too, if you have too many!

You might want to add a little ground up eggshell for calcium -- 1/8 tsp per egg

Actually, I feed the whole boiled egg..shell and all. The dogs absolutely love them :rolleyes:

Are you freezing the eggs raw?

Actually, I feed the whole boiled egg..shell and all. The dogs absolutely love them :rolleyes:

Are you freezing the eggs raw?

Yes, I freeze the eggs raw.

Feeding the egg with the whole shell is fine, too! That's MORE than enough calcium.

My dogs get a boiled egg a day/or every other day except for a few weeks in winter. I save the shells to throw back to the ducks, so they can te-use the materials they need that they gave into the egg. I`ve had a dog jump up on the counter and eat 10+ eggs out of the pot. Never a problem.